Double Posts

Hmmm, I didn’t know this forum even existed until today :slight_smile:

I’ve always had a timeout problem with this board due to the proxy I’m behind at work meaning that sometimes i’ve double posted not knowing if my first attempt worked or not.

But recently I’ve noticed this more and more to the extent that on the first page of General Questions there are 8 threads with double and sometimes triple postings.

Is the board in general having a problem?

Yes, the server is under strain at certain times of the day. There have been a lot of threads on this recently – have a look further down this forum.

Don’t click submit twice, and try previewing your post again to see if it has gone through. Clicking again during a time-out, server slow-down will lead to double/multiple posts.

I’ve gotten time outs after my post has been recorded, but before any notification comes. What I have taken to doing is to back to my reply, open a new browser window, and go to the forum where I’ve posted and see if it has shown up. That way I don’t lose a possibly lengthy reply, but also don’t double post. It has gone through more often than not, even if it seems to have gone straight from reply to time out error.

Rule of thumb:

HIt the “submit reply” button once. No matter WHAT response you get, assume your post went through. It DID 98% of the time.

And I’ve had posts “hang” long enough for me to get out, reboot, come back to check…it’s still not there 20 minutes later so I repost and - bang - double post.

I’ve seen it without a double post, as well. Posts appear sometimes up to 20 minutes after being submitted, while other things apparently submitted in the interim appear before. Quirky queue when the hamsters run ragged.

I firmly believe that this is a deliberate maliciousness that was programmed into the system at random.

I firmly believe that this is a deliberate maliciousness that was programmed into the system at random.

Oh, damn, a triple post.

Might vary from user to user. For me, it does not go through 98% of the time that I get an error message.