Doubting your memory of 70's kids shows?

Oops, showing my age,I guess. I forget, what were we talking about?

George of the Jungle, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Dudley Do-right. Are the best of the best.

And moose and mountie can be seen on Saturday nights on Cartoon network, 11:00PM PT!

(Don’t ask me how I know this. It is humiliating)

Scotti

No ageing hipster’s life can be complete without a CD called “Saturday Morning: Cartoon’s Greatest Hits” (MCASD-11348).

This features various alternative rock heroes performing a total of 19 songs of their yout’, such as:

“The Tra La La Song (One Banana, Two Banana)”, from The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (Uh-oh Chongo!).Performed by Liz Phair;

“Speed Racer Theme” performed by Sponge;

“Scooby-Doo,Where are You?” by Matthew Sweet;

“Underdog” theme by the Butthole Surfers;

“The Bugaloos” by Collective Soul;

“Jonny Quest/Stop That Pigeon” medley by the Reverend Horton Heat;

“Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah (Means I Love You)” (from the Jetsons) by the Violent Femmes;

and the coolest track on the whole thing is “Spider-man” by the Ramones.

…and many more! We’ll return to our commercials after these important cartoons…

Reading this thread has triggered a long-forgotten memory of a show I saw in the mid-70s that featured a space capsule with these puppet-like things in it. But the puppet-like thingies have real human hands. That is all I remember and I couldn’t find it on that website (Suo Na–thank you!!) I apologize for my fuzzy memory, but I was only about 5-7 years old. You know how it is.

Does ANYone remember this or am I dreaming?

I totally concur with Rod Hill, “Saturday Morning: Cartoon’s Greatest Hits” is probably my favorite disc in my collection.

My favorites:
Fat Albert Theme - Dig (was a rockin’ tune even in original form)

Underdog - Butthole Surfers (oooh, waoooo, waoooo!)

Spiderman - Ramones

<sigh> Aging hipsters pine for be bop and beat poetry, not *“generation jones” cartoon themes.

• I heard the term in an NPR interview. We’re the in between generation from about ‘56-65 that aren’t quite old enought to fit comfortably in with the boomers but old enough to look foolish trying to grunge with Gen-Xers. We are collectively jonesin’ for the comfort food of our childhood. Scooby Doo may suck on a critical level but it’s the visual equivalent of mom’s macaroni and cheese.

Still, I have to get a copy of that CD. I wonder if cartoon network.com is blocked from my browser at work…

Does anybody remember the Banana Splits? Always wanted me one of them 6-wheel “Banana Splitmobiles.” Still do.

Padeye said, re: the “Jones Generation;”

Excellent! Now I have a catchy handle to describe myself. I was born in '61, and certainly never figured myself for a boomer; on the other hand, Gen-X isn’t quite right, either, as I have no desire to get tattooed or pierced. In fact, one of my main objectives in this world is to finish with the same number of holes as when I began.

Now, where did I put that Major Matt Mason Space Crawler???

There are a lot of vehicles like that, mostly designed for hunters going into swamps. I think the ones the splits drove were called Amphi-Cats.

The Splits always screwed with my analytical, left brain mind when I was a kid. Virtually everything else had some kind of logic, a back story, that put everything into order and the B.S. had none of that that I could tell. One particular bit messed with my head for years. It was some kind of proto-music video thing with a rifle drill team all dressed in Confederate civil war uniforms marching around a theme park while the Splits were dancing around and generally trying to screw with them. As a child I found it very disturbing because there seemed to be no reason to it. When I discovered alcohol as an adult I found that combined with a case of Corona and a few limes it’s frickin’ hilarious.

If anyone knows the back story to the Bananna Splits I’ll split a case of Corona with you.

“Oh Mighty Isis”

A live-action show in the early to mid 70s. I suppose its target audience was young girls, but it did execeptionally well with guys in their 20s.

I was beginning to think that all the Tang I drank as a kid installed some cartoon hallucinations. But that site proved to me that the greatest cartoon ever, Crusader Rabbit, was reality. Thanks Suo Na!

Any southern California Dopers out there remember Sheriff John’s Lunch Brigade?

“Laugh and be happy, and the world will laugh with you . . .”

-OR-

"Put another candle on my birthday cake,
my birthday cake,
my birthday caaake,
Put another candle on my birthday cake,
I’m another year old today!

We’ll have some pie and sandwiches
and chocolate ice cream, too.
We’ll sing and play the day away
and there’s one thing I’m gonna do . . .

I’ll blow out the candles on my birthday cake,
my birthday cake,
my birthday caaake,
I’ll blow out the candles on my birthday cake,
I’m another year old today!"

If you remember, then deary, you’re much older than I.

Ha, Pugluvr! I was singing away to those words…and then I read your last line.

It’s funny though, I can’t remember what he looked like for the life of me.

The theme song to “Mission Magic” was sung by Rick Springfield. He contributed some more music to the show.

Did the “Mission Magic” theme make it to one of his albums–or did it come from one?

I really miss Plastic Man…
What about Captain CaaaaAAaAaAAaaavemaaaAAaaAAaaan?

Anyone remember The Kids from C.A.P.E.R.?
How did it go: The Citizens Assigned to the Protection of Everyone, Regardless.

How about {b]Run Joe Run**, about the falsely accused german shepard!?