Dpause Apause Mpause Npausespace IpauseT

Try shutting down all of McAfee’s programs, while not connected to the internet.

kernel32.dll is likely not the problem.

http://www.all-windows.com/kernel32.html

Have you tried restarting your computer? My old PC used to run out of RAM, and it didn’t matter how much stuff I turned off; it would still be slow. Restarting the whole thing was all that fixed it.

Kernel32.dll - Provides System Services for managing Threads, Memory, and Resources - Essential - Leave it alone

MSGSRV32.EXE - ALso part of the OS - Leave it.

Mprexe.exe - The Windows Routing Process Routes incoming network requests to the appropriate network provider. Leave it

MMTASK.TSK - Windows Multimedia Support Task handles multimedia services like MIDI. Leave it.

Mstask.exe - The Windows Task Scheduler is used to schedule tasks such at backups or updates to run at certain times or dates. You can leave it or stop it. I don’t run it

Explorer.exe - Windows Graphical Shell including the Start-menu, Taskbar, Desktop and File Mgr. Essential. Leave it

Systray.exe - Provides certain icons on the system tray like the audio control and the power management.

Taskmon.exe - Creates a database of the application programs you use and which files they load. The information is used by Windows Defrag (and by Norton Speedisk) to optimize the location of files on your hard drive so that Windows startup and program loading is faster. Not strictly necessary.

Avsynmgr.exe
Vsstat.exe
Vshwin32.exe
Avconsol.exe
Webscanx.exe
Cmgrdian.exe
All these are part of the McAfee virus protection. I have always had pretty bad experience with virus protection programs in that they hog resources and crash the computer so I have been running for years without any and have never had a virus. The best virus protection is between your ears. Ocassionally, just to make sure everything is ok I run the tests at http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/

Qttask.exe - The Quick Time Tray Icon enables you to start Quick Time from the System Tray. Not needed and I believe QT is crap anyway, but that’s just me

** Ray.exe** - Seems like some graphics program - I would look at it suspiciously and investigate much further. May be related to your video card or . . . who knows.

Stimon.exe - enables a USB still-image device (such as a scanner) to initiate data transfer to a program. Not really necessary but harmless.

Eraser.exe - Looks very suspicious at first sight. Investigate further

Pstores.exe - Stimon.exe enables a USB still-image device (such as a scanner) to initiate data transfer to a program

Wmiexe.exe - Loaded by SYSTRAY. Not sure what it does but I have disabled it and everything works fine without it. Because it is loaded by systray to stop it from being loaded you must hide it from Windows.

Aol.exe
Waol.exe
Aoltray.exe- obviously AOL

Spool32.exe - Printer Spooler

Ddhelp.exe - DirectDraw Helper is part of DirectX and is used for graphics related services

Rnaapp.exe - Used by your dial-up connection. It is OK.

Tapisrv.exe - Background Service which provides Windows Telephony (TAPI) Support

Msinfo32.exe - Obviously the program that told you what was running

Drwatson.exe - diagnostic tool that gathers information about your computer when a problem occurs with a program. I do not think it is necessary and would only run it for specific diagnostics.

Everybody should be able to identify every single program running on their computer. Once you are familiar with things there you can immediately detect what should not be there. Not to mention that too many programs and devices load tons of crap you do not need most of the time.

Ray.exe was another homepage hijacker. I updated McAfee and that elimated that executable. Eraser is a clean up utility that I’ve had for quite a while, so I don’t think that’s the problem. In any event, I disabled it, and the problems still remain.

This really sucks.

Actually what they say is if an item named “Kernel32” has the command “kernel.dll” then it’s a bad thing brought about by this virus. I understand that “kernel32.dll” is the proper file.

Sailor, I’m surprised you are including systray in your list of necessary programs. Didn’t we go over this long ago, and didn’t you yourself say:

I am running three Windows machines that have NOTHING, not even systray or explorer, in the startup group. The “system tray” icons show up just fine when & where needed.

What can I say – I’m a minimalist! :slight_smile:

I am a minimalist too. Yes, as I said then and respeat now, SUSTRY.EXE is not the “system tray” and can be terminated without any problem. But if you need it for the audio volume control. . . . then you need it for the audio volume control. Some of my computers have other audio volume control applets and do not to run systray. If you are not running systray.exe and you have a volume control then you must be running something else that gives you that.

If you have the desktop you are running Windows Explorer as your interface which was loaded by Windows. In WIN9X you can run other interfaces instead like the old file manager (winfile.exe)

I installed McAfee Guard Dog a couple of years ago. Seemed like a good idea at the time. But immediately I discovered that it slower my computer to a crawl. Every time I’d re-boot, I’d have to wait for it to load and then close it before I did anything else. I “removed” it, but it would still “start”. I finally got fed up with it and asked SDMB how to remove it from the start-up procedure.

But anyway, McAfee Guard Dog was not a good thing for my computer. I use Norton instead.

Yeah, I should’ve been more explicit. The following is from that page cited above. (I’ve bolded the commands):

kernel32 (1) kern32.exe Added as a result of the BADTRANS.A VIRUS!

Kernel32 (2) Kernel32.exe Added as a result of a number of VIRUSES - such as BABYLONIA, KERNEL and HOOKER

kernel32 (3) kernel.dli Added as a result of the NETDEVIL.B VIRUS!

Kernel32 (4) Kernel.dll Added as a result of the REDLOF.M VIRUS!

try to disable Qttask.exe (Didnt notice that on my first post). Thats another one thats caused slowdowns on some of my computers. (Dont know why, but things went back to normal when I prevented it from starting up).
But I recommend you do as Duck Duck Goose explained earlier to get into msconfig, and uncheck EVERYTHING except systray. Particularly all the anti virus stuff then reboot. If its STILL slow, there might be something wrong with the system itslelf, or as has been suggested, youve a bug running somewhere in your system. If it works normally, start allowing programs one at a time (by “checking” off the prog. in the msconfig start up tab) leaving ALL the mcafee stuff till last. When it slows down, youve found the prob. Time consuming but effective.
Again, be carefull, and if you have any problems on booting, just start up in safe mode and revert everythign to how it was before.

Don’t forget that antivirus programs usually have two modes:

[list=1]
[li]Always on and scanning[/li][li]Off, but will do a check/scan at a particular time, or when requested.[/li][/list=1]

You may want to check the MacAfee settings to make sure that it’s not always on and scanning.

Peace.

>> But I recommend you do as Duck Duck Goose explained earlier to get into msconfig, and uncheck EVERYTHING except systray.

As has been said, you can uncheck systray too but unchecking everything is overkill. I would start by stopping things which are suspect and not necessary. Unchecking things which are necessary and not suspect initially is a waste of time. I would start by disabling the antivirus programs and QT. QT, has given me many problems and I no longer install it.

BTW, Rysdad, you’re welcome. I spent quite a while googling the names of those programs which anyone could have done just as well.

Off the top of my head, the only things I can think of that would cause slow typing are a problem with the keyboard controller, something else hogging the cpu time, or something beating on your system with interrupts. I don’t think you have a problem with your keyboard controller because you said the cursor moves, and everyone else seems to be giving you good advice on looking for something hogging your cpu time. You might want to look in the task manager and see who is taking up all your cpu time.

As for interrupts:

There are two ways of interfacing devices to your computer, interrupt driven or polled. If something is polled, then the cpu has to take time to ask the device what is happening every so often. Printers and video cards, for example, are polled. Most other devices are interrupt driven. Your computer doesn’t constantly ask the keyboard controller for data, for example. Instead the keyboard controller sends an interrupt when it has data, and the cpu just responds to it. This is much more efficient than polling, since for something like a keyboard controller won’t have anything new for the cpu to do 99.9 percent of the time if it were polled. The problem that you can run into is that if something goes nuts and generates a bizillion interrupts, the cpu has no choice but to stop what it is doing (like drawing your characters on the screen) and go off and process all of these interrupts.

You don’t say what kind of network this PC is on, but my first guess would be to unplug the network cable and see what happens. If your network is getting hammered by messages (like maybe a network switch somewhere has gone goofy) then the ethernet card will generate a huge amount of interrupts. I think there was something mentioned about a scanner in one of the above posts. Try disconnecting it. Maybe go into the BIOS and disable anything you aren’t using, like USB if you don’t have any USB devices.

Personally I think it’s more likely to be a software problem than something like interrupts, but no one else mentioned it so I figured you might want to look into it just in case.

Sorry that I haven’t mentioned it already, but I really appreciate the assistance. I only wish I could figure it out. I have to sit and wait for each of my responses to actually show up before I can hit submit.

If I ever do get it figured out, I’ll post another thread detailing how it was resolved.

Thanks again.

What O/S are you running?
Did you ever say whether you’ve ran Ad-Aware?
Have you tried turning down your hardware acceleration a notch?
Opened up the case and Cleaned it out with canned air lately?
What are you resources at, after a fresh boot?
Have you been in device manager looking for those lovely yellow splats?

Daizy

What O/S are you running? Win98
Did you ever say whether you’ve ran Ad-Aware?Yep, I have.
Have you tried turning down your hardware acceleration a notch? How do I do that?
Opened up the case and Cleaned it out with canned air lately? No, but I’ve considered using an M-80.
What are you resources at, after a fresh boot? 73% free
Have you been in device manager looking for those lovely yellow splats? What splats?

Maybe I should mention that the typing lag only occurs on pages like this. For example, I can type anything into the Go box like www.whatthehelliswrong.com, and it works fine. I can type in Wordpad without a hitch. I can scroll up and down in, say, my Favorites box–no problem. But the scrolling in an active window lags and jumps around.

I just don’t get it.

:wink: Yes, it would have helped to have mentioned that part. :smiley:

No matter… you computer will only thank you for what you’ve done so far, anyhow.

Is there any chance that there are ads on the pages that you’re having a hard time posting to? You might want to try to go to:

Tools|Internet Options|Security tab|click Custom level| change all the ActiveX settings to Prompt (except those “not signed” can stay at Disable).
The downside is that when you enter a page with the offending ad, you have to click the box “No” when asked if you want to run ActiveX.

This is how you get to hardware acceleration. Though, it doesn’t sound like you’re going to need to do this now.

As for the “splats” …while you are in the same system properties dialogue box…click on the device manager tab…and look for anything that has a yellow exclamation mark beside it. Again though…this doesn’t sound like the problem anymore.

Daizy

I’m having this problem too. If you find a solution, please post it here. It seems to happen on pages where there is a blank for me to fill in (such as the reply box on this page). I have tried some of the proposals on this page to no avail. I also seem to have more crashes after surfing for a while or leaving my system on for long periods. I also recently expanded my hard drive and RAM, but it was working just fin for a while after that, so I don’t see how that could be the cause. I also added Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Album and some digital photos, but I don’t see how that could be the problem either. Thanks!

I haven’t found a fix yet, but I’ll sure post one if I do.

There are several things that can cause it. Most of which are addressed in this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=251787

I would try totally clearing the autocomplete history and passwords first, that seems to do the trick on most of them. I have fixed several machines with this same problem recently.