Dr. John Dee and the Necronomicon

I’ve got a copy in the original Klingon-is it worth anything?

I keep S. Petersen’s “Field Guide to Creatures of the Dreamlands” and “Field Guide to Cthulhu Monsters” instantly available on my reference bookshelf. You never know when you might need that information in a really big hurry.

thepillar–there are no historical, theological, or literary references to the Necronomicon, pre-Lovecraft.
Period.

It’s fiction!

Don’t believe me?
Go to a State run University Library, & look it up.

It’s under Fiction or Literature.

Does it have the tribble illustrations?

Yes, in their fully adult form.

No wonder the Klingons were so scared of them!

Certainly a Czarcastic reply. :slight_smile:

Why should it be a joke? I can quite easily see how the OP could have been misled if he happened upon the page he linked to, maybe via a Google search. There does not seem to be anything on the page itself to indicate that it is a hoax. You only see that if you reach it via teh link within the site, that is labeled “A FICTIONAL note about Lovecraft and the Necronomicon”.

No doubt you would not have been taken in, but I do not think that someone would have to be unusually gullible to be fooled by it.

Dude, do not piss off a mod, even if they are not terribly intelli…er, even if they take things at face value.

On that page, on the top, above the text, there’s a link that says “contents”. If you click on it, it takes you to the site map, here:

http://www.esotericarchives.com/sitemap.htm

The site map has links to all the other pages on the site. If you scroll down to the miscellaneous section at the bottom, you’ll find a link to that original page, which it describes as " A FICTIONAL note about Lovecraft and the Necronomicon"

It is a bit unusual that someone would read that and think, “Did John Dee really have both the Latin and Greek translations?” and not “Is this shit made up entirely?” If you’re going to get skeptical about something in that article, that’s an odd place to start.

I thought this was a DC comics thread.

Nah. A thread about DC comics nowadays would be much more horrifying than anything Lovecraft’s ol’ uncaring universe that hates you could dream up.

A Google search would have cleared this up. It’s a cool work of fiction with a good backstory, but it’s nothing but fiction. Necronomicon is incorrect Latin, and “Abdul Alhazred” is incorrect Arabic, and Theodoras Philetas didn’t exist either.

Incorrect Greek, technically.

Then it’s *very *incorrect Latin.

That’s what they’d * like* you to believe.

Yeah, I’ve seen it. Thanks for clearing that up. It’s just that I have a copy of the Picatrix, which was also originally written in Arabic around the same time the Necronomicon was purported to have been composed, and thought that the two texts belonged to the same category.

There is a hell of a lot of crap out there written by (often) well-meaning people about the occult. Bring us anything you have a question about and we will straighten it out. Many of us have been doing this for years.

Now that you’ve mentioned it, what are your views with regard to the origin, history, authenticity and authorship of the cipher manuscriptsa fragment of which is exhibited here–that led to the formation of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn around 1888 in England?

It’s fiction, sure, but have you read the *unabridged *version??