Drag Story Time

Why not visit the site to read any of their thousands of opinions from contributors both cis and trans. Can a trans person be transphobic?

But thanks for checking in to announce your reluctance/fear/phobia about an opinion piece that addresses the absurdities of sanitizing drag shows for the purpose of including the kids.

…I have before. There is absolutely no need for me to visit them again. I’m actually more than well informed enough on the topic, thanks. No need for me to revisit that tabloid filth.

Nonsense.

Yeah there are some reactionary pundits in all their topics.

Clowns are scary.

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand - library story time. Seems to have a lot more to do with your fears.

Umm, you’re not familiar with the phrase ‘self-hating fill in the blank’?

Of course they can. Self-loathing is a thing.

For the most part from what I’m aware of drag story hour appears innocent enough no big deal there.

Is it problematic if the stripper takes her kid to work? Is it okay to take your kid to a drag show? Whatever floats your boat?

Some of the trans authors at Unherd don’t come across at all as self loathing, they may be married, professionals with children? How would self loathing materialize? What would that look like even? Is it they just realize boundaries, guard rails whatever you want to call it are good for society.

I read the article. It’s my first time on that website. The article represents a very limited view of drag by insisting it must be raunchy. Drag is intended to be an avenue for people to express themselves. It’s obviously a spectrum with raunch at one end and more wholesome at the other. It’s conceivable that some artists would be drawn to the more wholesome end.

Your claurophobia sickens me

My wife was previously married to a trans woman. Since they divorced, the ex has descended into full-blown, “transgender ideology is a plot to destroy women’s rights” TERF conspiracist bullshit. While still living and identifying as a trans woman.

Needless to say, she’s fucking crazy. But then, so are most TERFs.

It could be because of my limited exposure to drag, but when I hear “drag”, I think flamboyant, boisterous, and BIG personalities. I can’t say I’ve ever heard of “wholesome” drag. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist though.

What are some examples of wholesome drag?

On the phone, so typing at length will be difficult, but I’ll throw out two names for discussion:

Barry Humphries as Dame Edna Everage

Tyler Perry as Madea

I’m not seeing the contradiction between “flamboyant, boisterous, and big personalities,” and “wholesome.”

Which I find hilarious since the character started when he wrote Christian plays, performed them in church, and even got them on Christian TV.

This program debuted earlier this year:

https://www.todaysparent.com/family/activities/fay-and-fluffy-the-fabulous-show/amp/

These are some traits that are very common in children’s entertainment.

Drag story time I’ve been to the reader was great, with an expressive voice, and big facial expressions. Exactly the type of thing necessary when performing for small children. The person also happened to appear male, but was wearing a dress and makeup at the time.

Interesting. Is any man dressed as a woman considered “drag”? I would consider Tyler Perry as Madea as just acting.

I don’t know anything about this “Unherd” place. You asked a general question. I gave a general answer. I really don’t understand your following post.

Let’s try this again.

Trans and drag are two different things. Please educate yourself on the difference if you aren’t sure of this.

A trans person can be self-loathing but just because some are does not mean all are. I would not assume anyone is self-loathing unless I knew something about them, it’s not something you can know by just looking at a person.