Drag Story Time

The UK far-right (up to and including the Tories) have been increasingly borrowing tactics and narratives from the American far-right. Even when it doesn’t really make sense.

65 million, minimum. Sorry.

Hey, she was 5. :wink:

She’s just a simple frozen caveman librarian.

I would say most young children at drag queen or bio queen story hour are excited about the larger than life bedazzled costumed reader and not really caring too much about who is the regular person under the makeup and wig.

I’m not okay with explicit performances involving adult themes presented to children.

I have absolutely no problem with drag story time, but I am puzzled how it became a thing that apparently caught on. I’m not personally a fan of the art form, but the same could be said for ballerina story time or clown story time.

Are those actually happening?

Not story hour but yes it’s happened at Drag night for kids inside a bar, provocative, and explicit as usual for a drag bar but let’s invite the kids to see a performance and drag them on stage or parade them around to collect dollar bills for Mz Thangs g string.

Straight gay cis or trans that’s going too far imo.

Please provide a cite for this claim. Thanks!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a “Drag Night for Kids” inside a bar.

Cite for explicit performances and adult themes? I’m unaware of any drag story time involving either of those.

Personally, I find owning the trogs appealing as well.

I believe chela is referring to this news story from the summer (Warning - mild, but NSFW text):

So far as I’m aware, this was a one-off incident in one place as opposed to something that’s trending all over the U.S. And upon closer examination, it may not even be all that much of an incident, though details are scant. It was all kicked off by a viral video (NOTE: The news article above does not show the video, but does feature some NSFW text) that is described in the article.

There is sufficient information in the article for anyone to locate the video online if one were so inclined. It is not particularly racy – really, just an adult and a child walking alongside each other – but the adult is scantily clad.

It also seems to be pretty clear that it was not a show directed towards kids.

I’ll assume this claim below was an error on the part of @chela, then:

The performer does have dollar bills in their bikini bottom while walking with the child, but patrons aren’t interacting with the performer in the clip.

Link to clip, with two-click rule enacted due to NSFW content. It’s very short, and I’ve not seen if there’s anything before or after the quick walking scene:

Agreed – the RHouse flap in Miami has nothing whatsover to do with Drag Story Times.

…nah.

The current wave of attacks on “Drag Story Time” and transgender people had their origins in the UK. They’ve been exporting this. They haven’t been borrowing tactics and narratives, more often than not they invented them.

And it isn’t just the “far-right.”

Thanks for this thread.

While I don’t think I had any really strong feelings about drag - or drag story time, I guess I sorta thought it “odd” and nothing young people “needed” to be exposed to. But I really don’t care if people wish to present themselves in a manner I personally consider odd, and understand that exposing young kids such different presentations is a good way to get them to be “live and let live” adults.

Like I said, thanks for helping me another step along.

I can see the appeal of inviting an actor that arrives in full costume to entertain the kiddos at story hour.

I’ve never been to drag story hour but I’m assuming they’ve toned it down from a club persona and are fully dressed and glammed up not in pasties and g strings. And reading age appropriate books.

But of course there are bound to be those who want to push the boundaries and fling open the door to the club and invite the kiddos onstage. That’s bizarre.

…there is absolutely no-way-in-heck I’m gonna be clicking on a Unherd link. That place is a cesspool of transphobia.