Drawing for a Tahoe... scam?

I just got a call from someone telling me that I need to call a 1-888 number b/c he’s been trying to reach me regarding a drawing for a Chevy Tahoe. It’s on my answering machine still… and I don’t remember entering a drawing for a Chevy Tahoe… but, still, what’s the worst that can happen if I call that number? There aren’t any stars or pound signs, just a 1-888 number, ext 40.

The worst? They’ll try to sell you something.

No, the worst is that they have your home phone number, and if you call back, they’ll peg you as gullible. And your phone will never stop ringing.

I’ve gotten similar calls and I ignore them.

No, the worst is that they tell you that before you can get the Tahoe, you’ll have to pay admnistration fees, shipping and taxes, and they’ll grab a chunk of money off you if you’re foolish enough to give them a credit card number or send them a money order.

My rule of thumb is: If it sounds too good to be true, it is. To follow up on FCM a bit, they may try to get even more information leading to possible identity theft. I would avoid that phone number and said caller like the plague, myself.

They already know your phone number, did they mention you by name? I might just try to call back from a pay phone, it’s a toll-free exchange, so that shouldn’t cost you. Obviously I wouldn’t give out a shred of information, but what other harm could there be?

You don’t give a direct quote from this message–did he say that you have won the Tahoe or that he just wants to talk to you about the drawing? I’d agree with Rube E. Tewesday. This may be legal but they’re definitely trying to separate you from your money. It’s more common to tell people they’ve won a vacation, rather than a car, but this got your attention, didn’t it?

Just got one of these calls last week. It was a set up where you have to go in and see a big old hard sell presentation about vacation property and then you’ll be “entered” to win this Tahoe. If you’re in the Chicago area, the place you have to go to is in Gurnee.

Call the phone number immediately. Missy2 is correct. Mrs.Phlosphr and I went in July and it is a scam.

HOWEVER, AT THE END EVEN IF YOU DON’T BUY A TIME SHARE THEY GIVE YOU 2 SETS OF FREE PLANE TICKETS TO ANY OF LIKE 40-50 RESORTS. WE WENT TO THE KEYS IT WAS FANTASTIC

The guy we got at the time share was not pushy at all, he was perfect. at the end we got plane tickets and didn’t buy a thing. So what we spent 90 minutes (thats all the time you have to spend ther) and got an actually good offer for a time share. But we don’t need one. But the free tix were great!

Depending on your tolerance for extremely high pressure sales tactics, those time share presentations can be a good deal. My tolerance for such things turns out to be low, and I would have gladly paid double for the sunset dinner cruise that I received if it would mean that I could have had those 90 minutes of my life back. YMMV (and, as Pholsphr mentions, it will largely depend on the individual sales goon you get hooked up with).

I get these calls all the time, too and what bothers me is that their claim that I entered their drawing gives them a loophole to continue calling me after the National Do Not Call List goes into effect (if it ever does). Even though I never entered their drawing.