Drinking alone on Friday evening

If I didn’t have to study for finals all night and work at 7 tomorrow morning, I’d join you all in a drink or ten. I’ve had a really lousy few days.

I am on my second raspberry cider, which is kinda soft stuff, but if need be, I can progress to beer, whiskey or vodka.

It’s good to be well-stocked. And I have potato chips.

Bring on the Friday Night Solo Drinking Party.

Does it count if my tee-totalling spouse is in the other room, watching TV?

That’s it: young man, you are coming up to Virginny and I’m taking you to the local jazz dive!

It’s only a 14-hour drive, so if you leave now you’ll be here around lunchtime tomorrow. You can crash in the guest room while I do housework/study for my final exam, and then we’ll paint the town red. You’ll be home by Sunday night. Ok, maybe lunchtime on Monday.

Sound like a plan? :smiley: :wink:

Nobody that occupies my house with me drinks at all. Or at least admits to drinking (I have a 16 y.o son).
So, if I’m having a few, I’m not having any “with” someone.

Not sure zactly what the big deal is. I oft times eat alone. I take care of bodily waste functions alone. I oft times take care of other bodily functions alone. :wink:
Why the big taboo against having a few drinks alone. So, I have a few drinks with my friend Mark. Maker’s Mark, that is.

I suppose I could go to a bar, spend 4 times as much, drive home inebriated, but be -with- other people.

Hey, guys! Is it just me, or does Big Bad Voodoo Lou throw one hell of a party? :wink:

I’ll give a big hell yeah to that.

Bud Select for me.

I’m in Voodoo! While I didn’t technically start drinking alone at home…the job that myself and friends are required to do brought them back to work. I’m here for a cheers when you need one! I may be drunk soon but the way I figure it, my replies will be funnier! :wink:
I’m hangin’ out with my…ahem…out!

I’m in Voodoo! While I didn’t technically start drinking alone at home…the job that myself and friends are required to do brought them back to work. I’m here for a cheers when you need one! I may be drunk soon but the way I figure it, my replies will be funnier! :wink:
I’m gonna hang out with my …bleep…out!

doh! Double post! Sorry about that. I tried to censor it too!

Moving party to MPSIMS.

Hell yeah!

Watermelon flavored Bacardi Silver. They’re good.

Well, I tried not to drink alone–after some Thai in Silver Lake I went over to a bar (4100, on Sunset Blvd) but despite normally being a real happening place it was utterly farkin’ dead; a few guys at the bar, a small assortment of couples at tables, nobody talking to Buddha, and some asshat playing Kenny Rogers’ entire oeuvre on the music box. (That they even have this as an option is alone almost enough to make me want to mark it off the list, but it is otherwise a great place. Hmm.) Sometimes I can manage to start up a conversation there, if but briefly and haltingly in my on inimitable manner, but not tonight.

So now I’m home, alone, with a tumbler of Jamison and a new book (Why People Believe Weird Things) and trying to fall asleep as soon as possible so I can wake up early tomorrow, get a good run in, and then go back into work for another 12+ hour day for an uninterrupted 19th day in a row. (Sorry Lobsang, but I’ve got you soundly beat there, mate. It’s not a competition of honor, belive me.)

Stranger

The only reason I got my stressed out ass off the couch tonight is because I was promised margarita. I want it on record that this is the second weekend in a row it was promised to me and I didn’t get it. So, instead, I am drinking a bottle of white and watching Secretary.

Sincerlee, -Me

Does that result in Nocturnum emissions? :eek:

Maybe if you drink too much… :smiley:

I wish I were drinking alone. Got my last final tomorrow at 3PM, then I’ll most likely pass out while my friends are out in New Orleans drinking and getting coked out of their boxes.

Looks like a I missed a good post-party last night.

BBVLou I feel for you - I am not in law, but I went the grad-school into professional services route (MBA into Mgmt Consulting) and feel like I can completely empathize with the basic place you are at. Wait 'till your 40 or so and feel like you have no idea how you ended up painted into a career corner. Joy. But I finally - after a few years - found my way out of it and am much happier. Heck, I’m happy, period. Bottom line - you are making some hard choices, but you are not alone.

Not only do you have the whole “omigod, can I even make it in my chosen profession?” thing going on, but there is the whole “I am a creative, artistic spirit at heart - what the hell am I doing as a corporate tool?” thing as well.

Please stay strong. Drink alone as needed - but be safe, too. Feel free to email me or some of the other folks who have reached out, okay?

I just got over the hump yesterday - Contracts, Property and Criminal are done, with Civ Pro on Tuesday and Constitutional on Thursday. I spent much of yesterday evening drinking tequila and carbombs with the LLM student down the hall and telling the same stories we always tell.

I feel this thread. I do.

Dude, with all the people drinking alone here, we could get you all together and have a Drinking Alone Dopefest.

Only you wouldn’t be, well, drinking alone.

And, we’ve now pretty much screwed the Friday evening part of the deal.

Drinking alone is different because the definition of “a few” soon becomes meaningless. Also, there’s the cool/dangerous factor. You can drink alone regularly if you present well in one of the following categories:
a) Cowboy/country singer/outlaw biker
b) Private detective
c) Novelist/painter/jazz or blues musician
d) Tough-as-nails workingclass female
e) Jaded romantic (if female, you must be visibly past your prime)
f) Hardened police/military veteran
g) Salesman

If any of the below describe you, solo drinking is best avoided:
a) Professor of electrical engineering
b) Poet
c) Grocery sacker
d) Day-care center manager
e) Designer/builder of ultralight aircraft
f) Cabinet-level secretary
g) Saleslady