Drinking alone on Friday evening

So, what do you do now?

And more importantly…what are you drinking? :smiley:

Stranger

Hey, thanks to all for the kind words and good virtual-company last night. I hate to complain because I know everyone has their own problems, but it’s nice to see so many friendly and supportive and cool Dopers out there, especially Campion and my boy WordMan. Plus, no matter what, somewhere in the world, it’s always an appropriate time to have a drink!

By the way, Beware of Doug, despite my current occupation, I fall into one of your categories, so I guess it’s okay for me to have a few while I’m alone.

Ace309, I wish you all the luck in the world on your law school exams, and Stark Raven Mad, you too. I deeply regret going to law school, but I hope it turns out to be a rewarding experience for you.

TwoOnSunday, Maggie Gyllenhaal is really cute in Secretary. Good choice!

Misnomer, if I’m ever in Virginia, we are so on for the jazz dive!

Harimad-sol, Delirium Nocturnum is a thick, dark, slightly-sweet Belgian ale that comes in a tall beige-colored opaque bottle, similar to a wine bottle. The label is striking, blue foil with a pink foil elephant dancing on it. It’s nothing you’d want to pound all night, but a delicious “special occasion” sort of ale. Do a Google search for it to find some reviews.

Everyone, you’re all aces in my book.

And by the way, I’ve been keeping our sink empty!

Mind if I join you? :smiley:

Maggie Gyllenhaal is cute in anything. And probably irresistible in nothing…

Hmm. It’s Saturday night; am I too late to join you? Working on my third martini. I do love drinking my dinner. Well, not exactly… I’m eating olives too, after all. Tough last couple of weeks, but nothing that some drinkies and a good workout at the gym won’t cure… :smiley:

I think we should just make this the Permenant Revolving Drinking Club. I’m at the office, but ::shhhhh:: don’t tell anyone I brought a couple of Bass to keep me company.

Stranger

I’ve seen something similar - is Nocturnum a spinoff product? I seem to remember a dancing-pink-elephant Belgian called Delirium Tremens, although I could be wrong about that.

As far as Belgians go, I’m a big fan of Ommegang (Cooperstown, NY) and Kwak, which both come corked in the same ~25-ounce bottles. Generally I go a little darker, though, and I’ve really been enjoying Unibroue’s Terrible lately. It comes corked in a beautiful 25-ounce bottle, and it’s a dark, sweet ale with a nice stoutish aftertaste but none of the bitterness. Highly recommended for casual drinking.

I’m sure they appreciate that. ::basks::

Uh, sorry for the double post, but I’m happy to see you put some of the advice in the CS thread to good use. Maker’s is one of my favorite non-Scotch liquors.

No, you are correct.

I’ve been trying out Belgian ales recently, and am interested in suggestions. Perhaps we should have a seperate thread, though I don’t know how much interest there would be in it, as it’s kind of a niche product.

Stranger

Here’s a good link on Belgian bieres.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou, I think that in addition to celebrating your bar exam success with gelato at Mazzaro’s, we might have to make a trip up to Spring Hill and Saint Sebastiaan’s Belgian Microbrewery & Restaurant. I also have a friend that brews for a chain here called Hopper’s. He usually has some lambics or even geuezes on hand, or at least a decent hefeweizen.

You’ll find I can be quite a bad influence. Sorry.

Stranger (great username, btw) you should see that “Cool Jobs in your Field” thread that was either in MPSIMS or IMHO this past week. I posted there - I am the head of Marketing, Business Development and Strategy for a healthcare company that manages a network of physicians who specialize in infertility. It is very, very fun being on the leadership team of a company doing something interesting.

As for drinking - Newcastle Ale and come cheap Montepulciano wine - playing guitar out on the deck and entertaining the neighbors. Life is good in the springtime…

Hope you’re doing a little better, BBVLou - at least they played the full Stars Wars: Clone Wars Micro Series back-to-back last night, which was extremely cool…