drinking coffee from bowls?

This question came up after watching the movie “Swimming Pool”. Granted there are lots of other things to talk about after watching that great and complicated movie, but I just want to know this: do people in some cultures really drink coffee from bowls? If so, why? Seems like it would cool off very quickly or you would have to drink a lot of it (unless the idea is that you just “wash” something in the bowl with the coffee and drink the mix). Or is luke warm coffee is the goal ?

I remember the first time I asked for a large latte in New Zealand and it came in a bowl, like this , I was very surprised but later I discovered you don’t need anything else to make an adequate breakfast. Well maybe a piece of toast.

Yup. I don’t know about Paris, but all the coffee I got in rural France was served in bowls.

I’ve observed my parents doing this whenever my grandfather comes over to visit, or anyone else elderly who grew up in India. So I always thought of it as an Indian Thing.
-I’ve seen other indians also doing this drink Tea, but my grandparents prefers Coffee, and so I’ve seen them drink Coffee out of the bowls more often.

Dunno WHY they’d do it, just more assumed that’s the WAY they do it over there, so figured it’s a reminder of home for them. Then again, the coffee was usually always made on a stove, and so would quite often be QUITE hot. So the bowl would increase surface area, and help it cool down faster- that could be a logistical reason for doing it. But I dunno WHY people do it, just that they do.

Drinking your morning coffee from a small bowl is a French thing - it’s much easier to dunk your brioche into a bowl of café au lait than try to squeeze it into a mug!

Indeed. Actually, I think it’s the main use for bowls over here. I didn’t know it was specific to France.

Why? Err… why not? Because I always seen it done this way? Anyway, as ** Dottygumdrop ** wrote, it’s more convenient to dip you buttered bread/croissant in it, in the morning, people are generally in a hurry, so the coffee won’t have time to cool off, many people actually drink coffee with a lot of milk, and many others just drink a lot of coffee.

Can I get some clarification on what kind of bowl people are talking about here? Does it have no handle at all? Is it delivered on a saucer?

Cafe au lait is drunk from a bowl. One of my favorite memories is being woken up in bed at a French farm with a bowl of cafe au lait.

Regular French coffee is more like espresso and served in small cups.

No handle and no saucer. Something like that , for instance.

Plenty of people drink regular coffee from a bowl in the morning.

(locally) No handle usually, (although there are some that look like a cross between a latte bowl and a giant tea-cup that do have handles). Quite often arrives on a saucer / small plate with a spoon and a paper napkin, looking like this image

Thank you!!!11one

I’ve been looking for these since I saw Betty Blue… when it was released in theatres!

But, if it’s that hot, how do you pick up the bowl to take a sip, if there’s no handle?

:shrug:
that’s a whole 'nother can of worms.
I have no clue, my grandparents would just blow on it for a while, while they talk and ate, and then just picked up the bowl with either both hands (as our bowls were basically what i think of when i think “bowls”- the things you eat cereal out of) or when it’d gone done in level, using one hand. So I guess it was hot, but it cooled down quicker than if it were to be placed in a mug? They did this sort of thing when everyone sat down at the breakfast table, it’s never practical for if you’re on the go or in a hurry. But the bowls always come out when they’re chatting and eating while drinking their coffee. So perhaps it’s for the ease of dipping things + the fact that it cools quicker in a bowl? I have no clue, I’ve only observed them do it, and never really tried it for myself (as I just detest warm beverages).

But they are the same people who can pull out hot things from the oven or the microwave that if I were to do it, i’d put on oven mitts for it. So I always chalked it up to just being something that my grandparents did when I was a kid. Part of their mystery and charm.
-Though it could just have been tough weathered hands, and diabetes have made his fingers more numb to the pain while we’re loading up on the wild ass guesses here from me.

It was just an interesting thing that I had noted, but didn’t think anyone else outside of India really did, because I’d never seen anyone else do a similar behavior of the sort.

Or in retrospect, to say it quicker and shorter :smack: - the same way you drink hot soup out of a bowl- that’s to say: very carefully.

If the bowl is too hot to hold, the coffee is too hot to drink!!!
While the coffee was too hot to sip, you would dip your bread or croissant in it, once it had cooled down sufficiently, drink the remaining coffee.

I don’t know about the French* but the Japanese and Chinese traditionally drink tea from bowls.

Also - isn’t “bowl” a horrible word?

Re: Betty Blue - I don’t recall the bowl but the DVD has been sitting here waiting for a good opportunity to watch it.

*three of my kids are in France so I’ll ask them.

It’s the scene where the landlord comes over to ‘ask’ Zorg to paint the bungalows and to get rid of Betty. The landlord makes coffee in, IIRC, a moka pot.

Betty Blue is one of my favourite films. I was very excited to get the Director’s Cut… until I watched it. The good news is that there are scenes that explain why a couple of things did or didn’t happen. The bad news is that it made this a three-hour movie and the pacing slowed to a crawl. Better to watch the theatrical release.

Well, my grandad in Missouri always did poor his coffee into the saucer, some to think of it, if it was too hot to drink. I guess if you’re used to very hot coffee you sip and if you are used to warm coffee you drink.