Driving from Pittsburgh PA to State College PA

Driving from Pittsburgh to State College next Friday, leaving Pittsburgh around 3:45 PM.

I will be right off 376/22 in Pitt.
Google Maps has the straightest/fastest route being:

I-376 to 22 E to 22/119E to 99N to 322 to State College (134 miles, 2 hrs 53 minutes) link

However, 22/119 does not appear to be a highway, so I am wondering if I should head south a bit and take:

76 (PA TPK) E to Bedford, 99 N to 322 to State College (177 miles, 3 hrs 20 minutes) link

If you have any experience driving this route, and can advise…

It’s a highway - just not an Interstate-quality one. But it’s better than it was 5 years ago, and IME very likely to be faster than the I-76/PA Turnpike route (as well as having no tolls).

I might change this recommendation if the forecast was for snow.

When yiou say “does not appear to be a highway”, do you mean limited-access Interstate-type highway? Rememberr that Pennsylvania east-west roads tend to cros the Appalachians. I know that one story I read had the narrator’s college-aged kid driving the route, and he used Interstate to the maxdimum extent possible, particularly 99.

I should add that if you take the turnpike, you’ll miss such places as Congruity, Black Lick, Gallitzin and Nanty Glo.

Actually, Rte 22 bypasses these. It’s a road on which you should be able to average around 50 mph.

The route you got from Google Maps is the one I take (once or twice a year). There are a few stretches on 22 with lower speed limits and some stoplights, but it’s mostly smooth sailing. I average about 2 1/2 hours.

Thanks for the info… 22 it is.