I have had Thai food twice in the last two weeks, and loved it. Growing up, I never got to try Thai food since nobody in my family liked it, nor did my friends. I finally have friends who like it and a city with a few decent Thai places, so at least it’s a rare and wonderful treat. Thai restaurants are a lot harder to find than your standard storefront Chinese places, and typically much more expensive. Most of the time they’re a little bit on the pricey side, but I love the stuff, and I want to get some recommendations.
Last week I had this delicious red curry, but it really messed my stomach up. I fare very badly whenever I eat anything with coconut (unfortunate, because I love the stuff). I might not have it again, but it was awesome the one time. I wonder what the differences are between red and green curries.
Tonight I had one of the most delicious dishes I’ve ever had: Drunken noodles, aka pad kee mao. Wonderful flat rice noodles tossed in a spicy sauce with shrimp, scallops, squid, green bell pepper, tomato, garlic, onions, basil leaves, and more. It had a good amount of heat, but not overpowering – I’ve learned I can handle a lot more heat from Mexican food, salsas, jalapeno peppers, and the like than I can from unfamiliar Thai and Indian food, but I did okay tonight. I’ve glanced over a few recipes for this online, but I think I’ll leave it to the professionals for now.
Of course I love pad thai as well, and Thai iced tea goes perfect with every meal. What should I try next?
