Dublin City

I live in Dublin, Ireland, some of you may be familiar with it. Anyway, I am being teased in college by one of the girls who lives in a rural part of Ireland, on two fronts.

1. What do the three castles on the Dublin City crest stand for?

2. Why are Dublin people called Jackeens.

I regard myself as fairly knowledgeable(thanks in no small part to the SDMB), and so hate it when people ask me questions to which I do not know the answer.

I think the second answer may have history in the Union Jack flag?

oh and one last aside, how many Dublin Cities are there in the world, I think I heard of one in Alaska or Ohio? am I right?

Thanks a million to anyone who responds

All I can offer is that there is a Dublin, California, about 20 miles to the East of Oakland.

And there’s a Dublin, Virginia, about 45 miles southwest of Roanoke.

There’s a Dublin in Georgia – I remember the Redneck Games (or similar) being held there during the Atlanta Olympics. My atlas only mentions one other Dublin (in Texas) apart from the one Cabbage mentioned.

As for your questions, the best I could do for the Three Castles one was this site, which claims that they were Blessington, Poulaphuca and Ballymore Eustace in the Glen of Kildare. Lots of sites say that three castles have appeared on the Dublin coat of arms since ancient times, and have been amended slightly in the light of various historical events. No doubt Google will help you did deeper if needs be.

According to this site you were right with your guess about the Union Jack.

I’m sure there are plenty of other Dublins around the world.

The SOED defines jackeen as a “self-assertive worthless person, specifically a city-dweller”. It comes from jack (meaning “a man”, as in steeple jack, jack of all trades, etc) and -een an Irish diminutive suffix (as in poteen, colleen). No mention is made of the Union Jack.

Populated places called “Dublin” in the U.S. (most of them not actually cities):

Dublin, Alabama
Dublin, Arkansas
Dublin, Arizona
Dublin, California
Dublin, Florida
Dublin, Georgia
Dublin, Indiana
Dublin, Kentucky
Dublin, Maryland
Dublin, Michigan
Dublin, Mississippi
Dublin, North Carolina
Dublin, New Hampshire
Dublin, New York
Dublin, Franklin County, Ohio
Dublin, Mahoning County, Ohio
Dublin, Texas
Dublin, Virginia

Ireland is the world richest country, its capitol is Dublin every year.

Perhaps it’s not a real “city” in Ohio (maybe a township?) but there is a Dublin, Ohio, and it’s outside of Columbus.

[band geek]

They have a really large marching band. Like 300+.

[/band geek]

I seem to recall reading somewhere the castles are supposed to be Dublin, Clontarf and Drimnagh. No cite, but it makes more sense for a Dublin City crest than Blessington etc. :slight_smile:

That is a lame joke, and you beat me to it.

"In fact, he noted that people in Ireland’s west often refer to Dubliners as “West Brits or Jackeens” the Union Jack, of course, is the flag of the United Kingdom. "

He being Judge Gerard F. Devlin, President of the Daniel O’Connell Society.

Best explanation I’ve heard and it has a sort of depressingly accurate ring of truth to it.

If you are interested in the Dublins of the US there is a book by Joseph O’Connor called “Sweet Liberty Travels In Irish America” in which he visits 9 Dublins in the US, he is of the impression that there are only 9 (well actually it may have been 11) Dublins in the US as far as I recall but it is an interesting read, especially when he asks residents where they thought the name Dublin came from, it seems as if not all of them were settled by Irish people, or if they were the history was lost.

The flag of the United Kingdom is properly called the Union Flag.

In the past it was only called the Union Jack when it was flown on the jackstaff of a ship in harbour.

Of course, common usage now dictates that either form is generally acceptable even when inaccurate.

(The jackstaff is where ships of all nations fly their national flag when in harbour. It was a short flagstaff set at the stem - the sharp end - or on the bowsprit.)

Yes, Dublin Ohio is a real city. It is a northwest suburb of Colunbus Ohio known for lots and lots of office buildings, as well as upscale housing.

We have a pub called the Brazenhead that was supposedly brought brick by brick from Ireland. While you can get lamb stew at the pub, you won’t be able to find corn beef and cabbage in Dublin Ohio except on St. Pat’s Day.

Also don’t miss seeing the giant concrete ears of corn statues when you visit Dublin Ohio! whoopie!

I am not surprised by the size of the band. Dublin Ohio charges a 2% income tax on anyone working in Dublin (no matter where they actually live). With the sizable companies here, that turns into a tremendous amount of income (Not to mention the tax from the high property values). Dublin schools are therefore very popular.

To think, not so long ago Dublin Ohio was just farmland… Then enter the developers…

But could you really call it a “real city” instead of “a borough situated in the Greater Columbus area”. As I remember it there’s nothing really that separates the twain.

I can guarantee that there is a Dublin, TX, and it’s tiny. (had a family reunion there a couple of years ago…) Other than that, I’m afraid I can’t help you… However, you can take a world vacation just by driving around in Texas…you can visit Dublin, Paris, Rome, Corinth, Moscow, Troy…I wouldn’t be surprised if somewhere there was a Reykjavik, Texas…

I would be surprised if there wasn’t some town in every state called “Dublin” even if it’s too small to show up in any map or atlas…a lot of Irish settled all over the US, and even those who weren’t Irish were in the habit of naming their little towns after famous European cities.

Well it all depends on what your definition of a city and a borough is.

The only definition above that could fit Dublin Ohio USA is 2a. Although Ohio has never referred to any municipality as a borough, so for 2a Ohio is not part of the “some states” provision.

In fact Dublin Ohio refers to itself as the “City of Dublin” as can be evidenced by their website.

http://www.dublin.oh.us/