Duct tape on NASA'S Space Vehicles

I just ran across this photo last night. This really wigged me out http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

Here…try this one http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040417.html

Duct tape…is there anything it can’t do?

I read someplace that there are only two essentials on any scientific mission: WD40 and duct tape. If it won’t move and it should, use the WD40. If it moves and it shouldn’t, use the tape. :cool:

So…, Red Green took over NASA?

Cool.
Where’s Harold?

Definitely “the handtman’s secret weapon”. Don’t go anywhere without it!

Yeah, it can go to the moon, but can’t hold this effing telephone wire in place. :mad:
Do I need zero gravity for it to work?

LOL - :smiley:

Nah, merely reduced gravity. :slight_smile:

Being an Air Conditioning Contractor, I have acutally used Duct tape, on ducts.

Point for me. :smiley:

Yet another heroic episode of “Duct Tape in Space”.

Duct tape and bailin wire! (wire should be pronounced wahre for maximum effect)

In high school, I was in a team that took part in the Canada FIRST Robotics Competition and our robot was covered in duct tape, it was ridiculous! Between rounds (we had to compete with other robots) we’d use up a couple extra feet of duct tape on the robot, to add extra parts and to keep the whole contraption in one piece.

It’s nice to see that duct tape is continuing to make a difference in the world. :smiley:

… and in other worlds too. :wink:

But just think about all the ducks they have to slaughter to make one roll! It’s horrendous!

I make that lame-duck :wink: joke all the time. Often to people who’ve already heard it from me a dozen times.
For some reason, it tickles my fancy.

Anyhoo…

I read somewhere that the stuff is great on practically any application; except ducts. Was this BS? Or maybe they meant heat ducts, and not A/C.

In a previous life as a sound engineer I used a million feet of duct-tape (tho’ we called it gaffa-tape*). One time we pulled a wing off the van on a fence post. We stuck it back on with gaffa-tape for the drive home.

I’ve heard it said that after a nuclear armageddon all that would be left would be cockroaches - and gaffa-tape.

*or gaffer?

That’s Gaffer’s tape. A gaffer is someone on a movie set who is responsible for lighting and/or electric rigging. To a gaffer, that kind of tape is as indispensible as it is to Red Green.

I have seen commercial packages of “Duck” tape, with a picture of a duck, obviously playing on the mispronunciation of “Duct” tape.

Actually, gaffer’s tape is different from duct tape in a couple of ways:

• it’s not coated with rubber. This is because it’s made to be used on professional lighting equipment, and those suckers get hot; normal duct tape would melt to the fresnel’s case, and possibly start a fire. Gaffer’s tape is flame retardant.

• it’s got a matte finish, so you don’t have problems with the tape screwing up your lighting design by reflecting light where it isn’t supposed to go, and it blends into a black visible surface without much ado, instead of making a shiny line down the middle of your set.
    Also, gaffer’s tape never leaves that icky residue that duct tape sometimes does. I also find it’s easier to tear it squarely off the roll and not get stray threads.

(Musicat, I’ve heard that both duct tape and duck tape are correct – it was called duck tape when it was first made for military use, but when marketed to civilians, it had become duct tape. )

Nope, I researched it.
That brand is expressly used on ducks. :smiley: