Dumb e-mail question

When you’re sending an e-mail you get two boxes. One with cc by it and one with Bcc. Can anyone tell me what they stand for, what their function is and how I would use them?

Thanks for your time.

Here`s the lowdown:
Cc / Bcc

When sending a message to more than one person, make sure
you never place the additional email addresses within the
Carbon Copy section. If you do, all of your recipients will
see the list of email addresses. Instead, place the
addresses within the Blind Carbon Copy section. The
addresses won’t be visible when your recipients receive your
message.

Email Basics 101:

TO: Use this box to send email to to one or more persons that you want to obtain a response. Keep in mind that every email address listed in this box is visible to everyone else who receives a copy.

For example – You send an email to two friends with both addresses in the To: box. You are hoping both will respond to you, and both friends know you are sending the email to them and you want responses from both and sent to each other.

CC: Often used when you are sending an email to one email address in the To: box, but are not expecting a reply from the email address(es) in the Cc: box. Keep in mind that every email address listed is visible to everyone else who receives a copy.

For example – You send an email to one friend (To: box) with a copy to another (Cc: box). You really want a response from the first one and are keeping the other friend informed what is going on.

BCC: When you send an email to one or more addresses in the To: and/or Cc: boxes, an address in the Bcc: box cannot be seen by anyone else, including any other email addresses you may also have in the Bcc: box.

For example – You send an email to several friends (To: box) inviting them to a party, with several other friends receiving a Bcc: copy of the email. Why? It’s a surprise party for someone you sent an email to in the To: box and the surprise is their friends you sent an email to in the Bcc: box are the surprise.

Warning – It has been my experience that many email users do not understand the basics of the Bcc: email and the ramifications of its use. I’ve been the recipient of many emails (with my address in the To: box, the Cc: box and even the Bcc: box) only to receive a response email from someone who wasn’t listed in the To: or Cc: boxes – the idiot received a Bcc: copy but foolishly did not read the addresses properly, hit the reply all button and quite a few others found out about it.

I suggest you do a Google search for email netiquette.

Email Basics 101:

TO: Use this box to send email to to one or more persons that you want to obtain a response. Keep in mind that every email address listed in this box is visible to everyone else who receives a copy.

For example – You send an email to two friends with both addresses in the To: box. You are hoping both will respond to you, and both friends know you are sending the email to them and you want responses from both and sent to each other.

CC: Often used when you are sending an email to one email address in the To: box, but are not expecting a reply from the email address(es) in the Cc: box. Keep in mind that every email address listed is visible to everyone else who receives a copy.

For example – You send an email to one friend (To: box) with a copy to another (Cc: box). You really want a response from the first one and are keeping the other friend informed what is going on.

BCC: When you send an email to one or more addresses in the To: and/or Cc: boxes, an address in the Bcc: box cannot be seen by anyone else, including any other email addresses you may also have in the Bcc: box.

For example – You send an email to several friends (To: box) inviting them to a party, with several other friends receiving a Bcc: copy of the email. Why? It’s a surprise party for someone you sent an email to in the To: box and the surprise is their friends you sent an email to in the Bcc: box are the surprise.

Warning – It has been my experience that many email users do not understand the basics of the Bcc: email and the ramifications of its use. I’ve been the recipient of many emails (with my address in the To: box, the Cc: box and even the Bcc: box) only to receive a response email from someone who wasn’t listed in the To: or Cc: boxes – the idiot received a Bcc: copy but foolishly did not read the addresses properly, hit the reply all button and quite a few others found out about it.

I suggest you do a Google search for email netiquette.

The third post you can’t see because I sent it via Bcc: :smiley: