Duvet cover mysteries!

I have a few duvet covers, all designed to cover a down comforter. However, the down comforters have nothing to anchor themselves into the corners of the duvet covers, and the duvet covers have nothing to anchor to the comforters.

As a result, after a couple of days, the comforter always ends up lumped into one end of the duvet cover.

Is there something I am missing, or does everyone have the same problem?

I have assumed for years that this is just a bad design, but it occurred to me that i couldn’t be the only one who this annoys.

Everyone I have spoken to IRL tells me of similar issues. Some have told me that they have duvet covers with ties inside each corner that could be used for this purpose, but any comforter they have provides no holes to use the ties.

How do you all get your duvet covers to stay in place? (If the TM cant help me, no one can!) :smiley:

Depending on the answers, I think i could be sitting on a goldmine! (Or, I need to buy different comforters/duvet covers…)

Buy some shoe laces. Cut them in half. Sew one half to each corner of the duvet insert, and one inside in each corner of the duvet cover. Voila.

I feel your pain. Just plain bad design in my opinion. It’s like they never slept with the damn thing after they designed it. Pricks!

I was just wrestling with this (though not for the first time) this morning as I was making my bed. Nobody got time to unbunch a big clump of comforter from the bottom of the cover! Once I even bought a king size duvet to go in my queen size cover and all it did was create a bigger clump. **elbows’s **ideas sounds good but I don’t know if I’m that handy with a needle and thread. Maybe something with velcro . . .yeah, that’s the ticket.

We must sleep less restlessly than you do - our comforter stays in place inside the duvet covers(s).

They sell soft comforter clips at places like Bed Bath and Beyond.

Every morning, you should shake it out, feel around for the comforter and, from the outside, pull its edges and corners back to align with the duvet cover. Then arrange it on the bed, as usual. This keeps things pretty well in place.

I have the same problem. I like the shoelace idea. I have a yards and yards of bias tape that would work well, I bet. Big safety pins would work, too. I’d use them myself, but I have a free motion waterbed mattress and I’m afraid of mishap.

I looked up “comforter clip” and can’t really tell from the picture how it works. At some point I assume the duvet and the cover get clamped together but I don’t understand what you . . .*anchor *it to. I know they can’t possibly mean you clip them on the outside, so how, pray tell do you hook them together?

I use large safety pins, although it can be a bit claustrophobic crawling inside the duvet to reach the far corners.

Most of our duvet covers have buttons. For the two that don’t, we glued velcro on using fabric glue. This stuff works well Amazon.com

You could also sew on snaps.

:smiley: (Psst… you can turn the duvet cover inside out.)

With that big, pouffy comforter, it’s easier to have it already inside than try to get the duvet back around it while they’re attached at one end.

I can see where that can be an issue. I tend to turn the cover inside out and pull it over the duvet, shaking and smoothing as needed. Since I’m apparently the only one in my house (ahem) that thinks the duvet covers need to be washed occasionally, it’s easier for me to do it that way by myself.

I tie the corners (about 3-4 inches in) with a piece of yarn or wrap a rubber band around the corner.

Not to pick nits, but isn’t the duvet the cover, and the comforter the innards?

Duvet is the innards, it is a synonym for comforter. The cover is a duvet cover.

I turned my cover inside out and sewed ribbons in each corner to tie around the corners of the duvet, works like a charm.

I have never understood the need for a duvet cover. My comforters already have a covering which keeps the stuffing from falling out and it is nicely stitched to prevent the stuffing from sliding around and clumping wierdly. It appears to me that a duvet cover is nothing more than another piece of bedding to purchase and clean. Comforters can be cleaned also and don’t then have to be restuffed into another cover. Comforters are colorful and can be purchased to match your bedding and some are quite good looking.

I think it is a conspiracy between designers and women to require another piece of expensive bedding in the bedroom.

Bob

We use a duvet cover rather than a separate flat sheet - so we have a fitted sheet then a duvet with a cover which gets changed once a week. Makes making the bed much easier.

To the OP, we shake out the duvet every morning when making the bed - stand at the foot of the bed, hold the cover and duvet along the short side and shake, then smoothe out on the bed and place pillows on. Done daily we don’t have any migration of the inside and it make it a little fluffier too.

They aren’t meant for that sort of comforter. They are meant for something more like these. The sets with patterns include a separate cover and insert. And they aren’t always easy to clean. You can wash a polyester-filled comforter in an ordinary washing machine, but I can’t fit my queen sized down comforter in my top loading machine. Every set of instructions I could find online for washing a down comforter calls for a double or triple sized top-loader (which means a trip to the laundromat ) and non-detergent soap (which I don’t use for anything else). Easier to use a cover- which also means that I don’t ever need to buy a whole new comforter to match new sheets. Just a cover.
About the clips- you clip the duvet to the cover along what ends up being the inside. The clips I use came with directions- I believe you put the inside-out cover on top of the duvet, attach the clips and then you turn the cover right side out sandwiching the duvet inside.

Nevertheless, that is how the clips work. You turn the cover inside out, clip the duvet to the inside of the cover (I do all the clips on the head end), then turn the whole works right-side out. Shake from the top as needed to distribute the duvet inside the cover.

My complaint is about variable sizes. Full and King aren’t so bad (as long as you’re careful between regular King and “California” King), but there are several different sizes that they call “Queen”. My current setup has about 8" of empty cover flopping around at the foot of the bed because the duvet is shorter than the cover. I bought them at different times, and didn’t think to measure, because I didn’t realize it was an issue. And I’m too cheap to buy new ones just because they don’t quite fit. But it’s wrong, just wrong.