DVR alert: 'Wizard of Oz' (1925) on TCM tonight

This movie is a curiosity: Oliver Hardy as a sort of romantic lead? The director shortly thereafter ends up dying in a nuthouse. And, despite the involvement of one of Baum’s children, a plot that has little to do with the original story. Oh, and some (by today’s standards) politically incorrect comic relief at the expense of the hapless Spencer Bell.

Yeah, Spencer Bell was billed as “G. Howe Black”, and it got worse from there. Although pretty much everybody in the movie was over-the-top in acting, and Spencer got some good stunts in and was kinda brave at times.

That was…:confused::eek:

No bearing on the plot and it just sorta ended, with the Scarecrow falling out of the sky and then cut back to the grandpa and little girl. It was cute to see that this scarecrow was just as agile as Ray Bolger would be, and it was great to see Oliver Hardy be semi-serious, but overall, what a weird bizarre take on the story. Way too many chase scenes and not enough Oz-zing. Liked the guy who played the Wizard and the contingent of E-vil, though, hamming it up massively.

Thanks for the heads-up on this blizzarding night.

I am so freaking pissed off right now … set the DVR to get it, and BAM at 1215 the power tanks, and isn’t repaired until just before 4 am.

I can deal with no heat in the house from the modern heating system, I have the woodstove fuelled up and heating.

I just wanted to be able to watch WoOZ :mad::frowning:

All the information I can find indicates that the film is in the public domain, as the copyright was not renewed. The only thing you have to worry about are the musical scores, which were made in 1986, 1996, and 2005.

In other words, there’s nothing wrong with watching it on YouTube. If the full version isn’t available yet, I bet it will be. All you have to do is mute the newer scores.

Bump! It’s on again tonight. It’s not too late!