East Pole

Also sprach Chronos:

What do you mean there’s no East Pole? I thought everyone knew it’s inhabited by Wild Woozles…

Rats! As soon as I clicked “Submit”, I realize I forgot to include a link to the Staff Report.

Say, how did you get that, anyways? it looks like it’s dated tomorrow. Not even on the front page yet. Unless, of course my ISP has an old front page cached.

The link was posted in the thread titled “Universal/Cosmic Spin”.

Oh, now I get it. I would sign up for the straight dope newsletter, but unfortunately I get about 50 junk emails a day. Maybe I should just get a new address.

But, enough about my troubles. I always thought that the Wild Woozles lived on the West pole, not east. Of course, I could be wrong…

Aw, one non-junk mail every week wouldn’t hurt that a bit. If your mailbox is really so clogged that you can’t spare an extra message a week, then you really need a new account.

[hint=subtle]Everyone on the boards should obviously sign up for the e-mails, so we’d all be able to get this head-start on fighting ignorance.[/hint]

Due to constant nagging from our benevolent moderator, Chronos :smiley: I have decided to unsubscribe to the 10 or so useless newsletters that I signed up for over a year ago, and no longer read. I have also decided to use filters to make most spam hit the bucket. I just hope the filters don’t get rid of too much legitimate mail.

Ok, you talked me in to it, Chronos. But, I have a question. Do you get $10 for every person you sign up? :slight_smile: In that case, here’s $10 virtual bucks (not valid in any state)

When I was a kid (1960s), I had a Puzzle Book (the kind that was supposed to keep you busy in the back seat of the car) that on one page talked about such imaginary places on the Earth, giving detailed information on the East Pole.
There’s also an East Pole on the planet Medea (the book “Medea: Harlan’s World”, featuring stories by various SF writers set on a world devised by HE and company). Harlan Ellison’s own contribution even mentions the East Pole in the title.

Geodesic measurements have revealed that the Earth has very subtle departures from an ideal oblate spheroid. Do any of these correspond to an “east pole”?

No. And the departure is not even pear-shaped.