Easter egg hunt turns bloody

Pez Easter egg hunt turns bloody as greedy parents rush in ‘like locusts’ and steal all the candy

Well, one kid did apparently get a bloody nose when he was pushed down.

Pez held an Easter egg hunt. Or they tried to. They hid about 9,000 eggs and planned to have three stages of hunting them with children grouped by age. And that’s when things went horribly wrong…

Parents and their out-of-control children rushed the field before starting time ‘like locusts’. ‘Shame on that parent that broke the little boy’s bucket causing him to lose the few eggs he had, that someone else then picked up,’ mother Lisa Stahl noted on the Pez Facebook page. ‘Shame on the person that bloodied another child’s nose and to those of you that hogged all the eggs for your own kids.’

Buncha entitled brats! And probably the kids, too.

Reminds me of that Cabbage Patch Kids riot in the 1980s, at one department store where parents engaged in combat to snag the limited supply for their kids for Christmas. Broken bones abounded.

Or Wal-Mart every year.

So incredibly sick and twisted. What is WRONG with people? Obviously, common decency is not to be expected. They’ll have to make some rules if they ever plan another one.

We used to do a neighborhood Easter egg hunt with about 15-20 kids every year and about 450+ eggs. We’d just divide the number of eggs by the number of kids and tell them that’s how many eggs they could collect. The older kids knew to find the higher ones and let the little guys collect the easy ones out on the lawn. If the older kids found their lot quickly, they could help the littles find theirs. Really, not too difficult. Good grief, people!

They had rules. People didn’t care.

Dad would have an Easter egg hunt in the back yard every year. They neighbourhood kids would come over and hunt for goodies, and the adults would sit on the patio drinking beer (or coffee, in dad’s case) and chatting.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Lesson learned, dont do easter egg hunts without some sort of controls.

They are alot of fun for small numbers but when you get into the hundreds and people come from miles away and most of those persons are strangers this is what happens.

It is the same with parades when the participants throw candy and there is no control of kids coming in to grab stuff. They will start on the curbsides but slowly work their way into the street so much that they can block the road.

I go to the St. Patrick’s day parade in our town, it’s the biggest of the year, and lots of candy is thrown, and kids do start edging off of the curbs. But police and security regularly walk down the route, making them move back, so they don’t ever block the street or get in danger from the parade vehicles. It’s gentle but firm.

See what religion does to people? :wink:

Saw a Facebook meme only yesterday:

“How adults see Easter egg hunts…” (picture of a nice, sunny field with parents and kids looking for eggs)

“How kids see Easter egg hunts…” (picture of Katniss Everdeen)

“May the odds be ever in your favor!”

At the library where I work, I run an egg hunt. I divide it by age groups, and based on the number of kids that attend and the number of eggs I have (and there’s always the ones that show up at the last minute-- “Oh, you had to sign up?”), I restrict them to a set number of eggs. Then, when they’ve found their five/seven/ten/twelve, I tell them they can look for whatever’s left. So there may be some disparities, but at least it’s not a matter of one kid getting twenty and others getting none.

Next year, the patrons will bring guns. It’s the American way.

Yes, how can you hunt Easter Eggs without a gun? Okay, maybe bow hunting would work too.

I have often said kids activities shouldn’t allow parents to attend; this is one of the examples of why.

[QUOTE=They neighbourhood kids would come over and hunt for goodies, and the adults would sit on the patio drinking beer (or coffee, in dad’s case) and chatting.[/QUOTE]

THIS! The grown-ups get to drink in the afternoon sun, sit and chat and let the kids run around!

Clarification: third annual Easter egg hunt. I’m guessing parents who felt their kids got shafted the previous two years started this.

Maybe not. Found this at the Washington Post: “the number of families that came out to participate far exceeded anything we could have possibly planned for.”

This is a failure of parents, definitely. But it’s also a failure of people planning the event. Whoever was in charge of this event doesn’t seem to have the expertise necessary. I’m not saying they should be fired, but certainly next year’s event–if there is one–needs to have someone in charge who’s a lot more competent, whether it’s the same person after extensive training or a different person.

People individually can be nice. People in hordes take their direction from the loudest personalities, and if those are assholes, the horde becomes an asshole. Plan accordingly.

Connecticut rolls hard!!

I’m trying to decide if I’m embarrassed or proud; that occurred in my hometown.

I’m guessing there isn’t likely to BE a next year for this event. The greedy grabby types are probably also going to be suing everyone they can possibly connect to this fiasco (as long as the pockets are deep), and I don’t see anyone in their right mind opening themselves up to the litigation, bad publicity, etc., again.