Easy translation question - greek & latin

I need to know what ‘rooster dye’ would be in greek and latin. That is something that would dye something rooster-colored*, not something to dye roosters.

Google translate gives me:

βαφής κόκορα / gallus fuco

But I know that it’s not always correct about cases and stuff.

Thanks.

• It’s metaphorical. It involves alchemy, where nothing gets called what it actually is. The english term is actual ‘cockerel’ but same diff.

The noun for dye came up as fucus for me. Yours may be the verb. If you want it to be "of a rooster " you could change it to galli. Let me see if there is an adj like galleus (made up, but would be like 'made of rooster ') or gallicus (Gallic )

Ah, “galliarius” - of /or/ for poultry. That may work better. It also has other meanings related to poultry so you may want to look it up and decide if the ambiguity bothers you.

So ‘fucus galliarius’ would be the Latin? Thanks so much Ad

Can anybody check the Greek?

It’s hard for me to check the Greek because I’m using my phone and not all of the characters show up, but in general I would say don’t use google translate. Go to a website that has an Ancient Greek (Attic) dictionary and just use that. I think the results will probably be better.

Google translate, for Latin at least ( Or so I read on another forum, no cite, sorry) doesn’t really translate novel texts / phrases so well. Apparently it just scours a database of the classical literature that has already been translated and tries to match it up, piece by piece, to fragments / phrases from works that have already been translated.
So, for example ), it can translate a sentence from the Gallic Wars by Julius Caesar very well, but it has a hard time translating a simple sentence like “the girl loves the farmer” or anything else that somebody just made up.
Again, this is all just hearsay, I don’t know any of this, but experience seems to bear it out.

I don’t think that’s terribly good Latin so far. What colour are you going for — most of the Latin dye words seem to be derivatives of the specific colour. I’m voting tinctura gallinacea, though a Latin-speaker might understand this as a dye made from hens; perhaps tinctura colore gallinaceo.

For Greek, I have to rely on Perseus: I’ll suggest βαφή ἀλεκτρυόνειος (baphé alektruoneios), “dye” + the adjective derived from alektor, “rooster”.

ETA: Perseus says that is both the masc. & feminine form of the adjective, but I don’t know that I trust it. I did note that in searching the dictionaries, “dye” almost always brings up verbs, and the nouns are other weird things like “a dipping.”

I don’t know why to doubt that it is both masculine and femininte form of the adjective. Derived adjectives like that usually are two termination
but in general I am always wary of attempts to trasnlate modern phrases like this into classical languages. It never seems right

Because I know just enough Greek to be dangerous, and not near enough to be confident.

Thanks. At nothing else, it’s probably close enough that people who speak Greek won’t wince terribly (which is about the best I can aim for).

Thank you everyone.