You think you’re not eating much, but what you’re eating isn’t great from a weight loss point of view.
[QUOTE=Book Monster]
I don’t normally have much for breakfast except for the free coffee at work and a few biscuits. Sometimes I’ll have a bowl of cereal with semi-skimmed milk, sometimes I won’t have anything for breakfast at all except for the coffee.
[/QUOTE]
It’s better to eat a decent breakfast than no breakfast at all - it will fill you up, give you energy, and make you less inclined to eat fatty foods during the day. I’ve also heard (but I’m not a dietician) that it kick starts your metabolism, so you start buring calories early rather than storing them up.
[QUOTE=Book Monster]
Ever since I started sticking to a tight budget, lunches have all been pretty ho-hum as I make sandwhiches at home. These normally consist of a slice of cheese on white bread with something else for variety - cheese and mayo, cheese and hummus, cheese and bologna, cheese and pesto…
[/QUOTE]
Okay. Cheese = bad. Cheese is pure lard, one of the most fattening things you can eat. White bread if fattening, you need to switch to some kind of granary bread or wraps which, while still fattening, are considerably better. Pesto is nuts (full of oil), olive oil (fat) and parmesan cheese (evil). The only non fattening thing in it is basil. Mayo is very fattening. Hummus has a lot of fat in it. So you see, you’re eating highly calorific things without even thinking about it. Read every jar/packet you buy to see for yourself. Start eating low fat - grilled chicken and salad with no oily dressing, for instance.
[QUOTE=Book Monster]
Dinner is the only “proper” meal of the day and usually consists of some filling carbs like rice or pasta or potatoes, coupled with a sauce-based topping like lamb stew, red beans in tomato sauce or chicken curry. Sometimes dinner will be a rushed affair and we’ll have fishsticks with oven-fries or a store-bought frozen pizza.
[/QUOTE]
Your eveing meal should really be the lightest meal of the day, as you’re about to go to bed and all that stuff will just sit heavily in your stomach while you sleep. Carbs are high energy, and you aren’t doing anything in the evening to burn them off. Lamb is a very fatty meat (eat chicken/turkey or fish instead). I can’t even begin to describe the evil of processed foods like fishsticks, oven fries and pizza.
All these things are better if you can make them from scratch - you can even make low fat pizza and low fat oven chips yourself that taste way better than the bought stuff and are much healthier.
Throw out your frying pan. Use a low fat cooking spray instead of oil or butter. Substitute red meats for white. Grill or bake rather than fry. Eat more fish. Fill up on other vegetables rather than potatoes.
I know this is all really boring, but it really works. I’ve been following a low fat diet for a while now and manage to eat lovely food and stuff my face an still lose weight - all because I pay attention to the individual ingredients.
because of the budget I don’t get to spend a lot on snacks so that means I don’t usually nibble on junk during the day. When I do bring something to go with my sandwhiches as work it usually a can of pineapple or peach slices or an apple.
[QUOTE=Book Monster]
The long and short of it is that I’m not eating all that much, and what I do eat isn’t all that fattening. So why aren’t I thinner than I am?
[/QUOTE]
Aah, but you’re eating IS fattening.
And of course, age doesn’t help. We all get a bit lumpier as we get older, and more exercise really can make a difference.