Ebay # On Address Label?

An Ebay buyer has requested that I put the Ebay auction # on the “label” which I assume to mean the address label. Where does USPS allow anything extraneous to name and address to be written on the face of the package (the same side as the address label)? Should I write it below the buyer’s address, below my address, along the top right corner or somewhere else?

I skip a few lines, and write it below the ship-to address.

I think you could do something like:

TO:
John Smith/[Auction number]
123 Main St
Anytown, USA 12345

Actually, write it above the name and address, whether it is a letter or package.

Here is the reason: The US post offices OCR scanners work from bottom to top. First they look for the city, state, and zip code, then they look for street address. If there is any extraneous information, it should be at the top where the scanners will have already retrieved the information that they need.

If you put extra information at the bottom, there is a small chance it could be interpreted as a city or zip code and send your letter astray. Also, avoid the use of punctuation in the address portion (except for the dash in the ZIP+4).

And, yes, they are using OCR scanning for both letters and parcels now.

Bad example:

Large Corporation
234 Main St.
Department of Redundancy Department
Anytown, UZ 00010
Attention: Bill Jones Order 55555-0123

Improved example:

Attention: Bill Jones Order 55555-0123
Department of Redundancy Department
Large Corporation
234 Main St
Anytown UZ 00010
[&varset%28source%29=sourceType%3Aembedded"]Addressing tips from the United States Postal Service.](http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb%3AUSPSFAQ&view()=c[c_usps0910)

Note that the odds are that your mail will get delivered whether you follow these rules or not. But if you want to decrease the chances of something going wrong, try to follow these rules as much as you can.

Correct. And the lowest address line is the one the USPO will deliver to. For example

Large Corporation
P.O. Box 123
234 Main St
Anytown UZ 00010

will get delivered to Main street, not to the PO Box.