Ed, WTF?

It is not so much that the scoreboard hasn’t registered the touchdown, it’s the price of those damn hot dogs and the lukewarm beer. And don’t even get me started on the parking situation.

Our opinions on the issue have nothing to do with it. I’ve stayed out of this thread, having made my views clear in the original thread. As for closing it, as long as people keep bitching about mods, it seems like an appropriate thread for the Pit. I figure it’ll either die a natural death or you guys will go back to making soap puns and I’ll mercy kill it.

Just don’t do either of those things in Colibri’s neighborhood bar or there will be hell to pay.

When you’re a Toad, you’re a Toad all the way…

You’ve made your opinion clear and unequivocal.

Other staff’s opinions are ambiguous or do not adequately address the threat interpretation directly.

Their has been an unusually small degree of staff response to this issue which can only only be seen as cowardice. There ! I said it !

To be clear, the “Our” was only referring to the Pit mods and the “it” was referring to the fact that the Pit mods in particular haven’t commented on the thread but still left it open.

As for the overall staff response, the two mods directly involved, Ed and Colibri, have each posted in either this or the original thread, following the warning. It’s clear that there’s a pretty fundamental disagreement between them and some of the posters in this thread, so they may not be interested in going around and around on it. As for the other mods, we tend to keep our discussions/arguments about rules and rulings off-board, so I wouldn’t expect anyone else to chime in. I know it feels like wagon-circling, but imagine a board where the mods squabbled over every ruling they didn’t fully agree with. Things would be a lot more contentious.

Will you kill it with a Tide of Cheer? Embalm it in Palm olive and leave it white as Ivory?

Giraffe, for what it’s worth I appreciate your response. Frankly, I disagree with Dutchman – I think the only coward here is Colibri, who undoubtedly over-reacted to the nth degree, and now doesn’t have the balls or character to apologise for his idiocy.

As for Ed, I’m still confused why he doesn’t address the issue. His warning was incorrect, and the ensuing handwaving doesn’t really show him in the best light. Which is a shame, because as was pointed out in another thread, there have been instances of Ed being the bigger man and apologising for his mistakes.

Well, it wasn’t really a joke, but you did miss my point.

My point was that just about any insult can be considered a threat, especially if the threat is so broadly defined as:

If there’s really no difference between physical threats, hypothetical threats and metaphorical threats, then just about any insult is a threat because it’s intended to threaten someone with humiliation or loss of reputation. It can also be taken literally in ways that weren’t intended as we’ve seen with this example.

If that’s the case, then why would ‘3. Buckeyes’ be verboten outside the Pit? If the rule is that people should get a thicker skin, then it should be applied uniformly.

I use my computer for other things besides hanging out in the Pit and/or having discussions with you. Which knitting shows on TV are you watching? I haven’t found any.

And you know this, how? :dubious:

What did we win?

Personally, I think we’ve lost a great deal here. Unlike Sapo, I do care about this place and the quality of the posts that get posted here. And with this warning, and several other warnings that Ed has given recently (some of which have been reversed), I’m seeing a trend of random decisions favoring mods. That wasn’t the case before. In the past, if some mod made a bad decision, they’d go to the Pit and have the same community standards applied to them as anyone else.* Some of the recent decisions have shown that authority can be and will be used to protect the mods regardless of their actions.

If that really is the case, I think it has the potential to change the dynamic here. I used to post at a message board where the mods made some inane and ridiculous posts. But if there was ever a dispute between a member and a mod, the owner would show up to give the member a warning, often randomly. It stifled the membership down to a whisper. Although this is a much bigger message board, I would be saddened to see that happen here to the extent that members would be hesitant to disagree with the mods.

*Yeah, I know that this wasn’t always true and especially in some cases before I got here, but I’m hoping that it’s not moving that way again.

And that is what makes this particular “no brainer” issue so frustrating.

I was warned by a moderator in the BBQ Pit for responding to a crossdressers question with:
“I am 65, 5-11, 285, moustache and bald, would a Teddy be appropriate nightware for me?”
Is that considered a threat?

A nice pony of course.

You confuse cowardice with boredom. This appears to be a really boring thread and I doubt many Mods have enough No-Dôz to plug through it. (I only wandered in to this last page after a poster pointed out that we were being called names, again.)

Are you retarded or something? No, really, I need to know. If you are, I’d feel bad about pointing and laughing at you for posting just about the stupidest thing I’ve read in years.

I can assure you, a few pages ago when the knives were being drawn and hurt butts were flying left and right, it was the height of daring-do!

What? Someone reported a bad post in the pit specifying mods were being called names and you responded?

Fuck! I’m starting to get paranoid.

Yeah, you’ve got an 6-page thread entitled “Ed, WTF?”, where multiple clients of yours are asking for explanations of Mod and Admin actions, pointing out your incompetence and malfeasance right and left, mocking you, pointing out wild inconsistencies in your policies–and your collective response is–boredom??

Please–peddle this crap elsewhere. I’m not buying any today.

Now it’s true that WE might become bored–there’s only so many times you can complain without getting an answer and still continue to care. Whether the alienation of your client base is your desired outcome or simply an unfortunate result of your cluelessness remains to be seen.

I don’t know about starting to get paranoid. :stuck_out_tongue:

Stop. Think. A reported post from the Pit is not going to show up in the mailbox of a Mod from GD.
I simply learned about the last page of this thread from a poster with whom I exchange correspondence making an off-hand remark.

A six page thread shouts “trainwreck” in nearly all cases. I am guessing that the same complaints were lodged that are always lodged by the same posters that always lodge them. A quick click on the “number of responses” column indicates that 40% of the posts have issued from six posters. Now, I am sure that there has been an overabundance of wit and savagery in the preceding five pages, however, when I quit reading this thing around post #30, there had been a bit of complaining and a few sidebar attempts at humor and I got bored. As it got longer and longer, it continued to look more and more like the typical “bash the staff” trainwreck from the outside. Maybe there really was some wonderful point to be made, here. If so, it could be couched in polite lannguage and submitted to the ATMB. I have to read enough churlish posts in GD without taking on the task of reading everything in the Pit as well. The title was “Ed, WTF” Not “tomndebb, WTF.” Ed’s a big guy; he can fight his own battles. If you can’t keep it interesting, I am not going to keep reading it hoping that something interesting pops up.

So we’ve noticed. He’s so active in this particular fight, we’re going to start calling him “Active Ed” pretty soon. Or maybe “Fightin’ Ed,” or maybe “Apologizin’ Ed.” it all depends.

So you came in here to say “I’m bored”? There are plenty of boring threads around–what made you pick this one to take that unusual and distinctive stand? Do you recommend I cruise the SD to search for threads that don’t interest me at all so I can then post “This is boring” in all of them? IOW, still not buying.

Crap! I missed another meeting. Please forward the minutes of the meeting wherein we discussed what our collective response would be. :rolleyes: