Ed, WTF?

Unbelievable. And no mods jumping in to stick up for Ed… Uh huh.

I must point out Ed’s sorry ass is currently being used to mop the floor.

Damn, hookers must be cheap in your neck of the woods.

Maybe they’ve already done that literally?

[sub]KIDDING! Just kidding![/sub]

Interesting. I think we may have the SDMB equivalent of a constitutional crisis.

If we post supporting each other’s decisions, it’s “circling the wagons.” If we don’t, it’s interpreted as a lack of support and a “crisis.” (And presumably if we posted in every thread we’d be monitoring everybody like hawks, which nobody wants and which we don’t feel like doing.) Don’t presume too much about what’s going on behind the scenes. It’s never as interesting as you think. This goes in particular for posters who think Creative Loafing is telling Ed to clean up the board, which is a favorite theory of mine, although it isn’t the topic here. But it’s true in general too. We’re not leaving Ed out to dry, Ed didn’t go nuts. Anything else?

I’m not really interested in stepping on this mine, but what Sapo said was a total dick move in my view, especially considering what he said to prompt that little tiff.

Oh my god, stop. Please, just stop. If you guys do support Ed, if you don’t, if the wagons circle, if they won’t…who really cares? Right? I mean, we are all just trying to have a bit of fun in the pit.

But please let no one else imply that what Sapo said was anything other than an invitation to a vigorous debate, in which he would emerge as the victor. To pretend that it was instead a threat, or a dick move, or grounds for banning or whatever is just bizarre and surreal and hairynuts-lickin’ crazy.

Why does it have to be one or the other? I didn’t say he threatened to kill Colibri. I said it was a dick move because that’s what it was.

Can you define that please?

Or at least explain why you think so.

I think that closing threads in Cafe Society with the accusation of “parody thread” as the only reason given is a dick move, too. Lots of dick moves lately around here. It’s like dick central.

But the question for this thread is not whether it was a “dick move.” That’s completely immaterial. Plenty of people act like dicks in plenty of threads on this message board, just about every day.

The question is whether it constituted a threat of violence that violated the rules of this message board. And only a retard, or someone looking for any excuse to wield authority, could answer that question in the affirmative.

I sure hope you didn’t type that in a threatening tone. We so do not tolerate that here.

QFT. Here’s hoping we both get banned now, just for hilarity’s sake.

Also, this.

Hostile Dialect,
Hostile Dialect, Narcissist

I think that Colibri’s tactic of weaseling drive-by attacks on me are a dick move. Who is to say?

Ed’s a good egg. All you have to do is present your case in a calm and respectful manner. He’s proven that when he is confronted with a reasonable argument, he will change his mind.

See here, for example: Ed, could you review a ruling please? - About This Message Board - Straight Dope Message Board

A couple of people already tried that in the other thread. This was Ed’s response:

I swear to Crom, the next person to mention threats is going to SO get it!

I can’t believe that I’m saying this, but I sort of understand where Ed is coming from. Without any context, just looking at the phrase “I will mop the floor with your ass” was/is? a common threat on the schoolyard when you were threatening to beat someone up.

Now, taken in context, and especially with the follow up remarks, it is clear that the OP simply meant that he would “mop the floor with your ass” in a back and forth debate, but on first blush I can see the confusion…

Why? You have seen worse in Baseball and Football threads. Much worse in fact. Saying you will mop the floor with someone’s ass in future threads is pretty mild. Damn, **Colibri **is from the Bronx and a Yankees Fan (like me). I know he has heard far worse. :smiley:

BTW: I like **Colibri **a lot. He is one of the posters I most look forward to reading in GQ/GD. His science contribution is part of what makes this a great board. In that thread it did appear he was the one challenging **Sapo **for the simple sake that they clearly do not like each other. So Colibri was hardly an innocent party and appeared to be in the thread as another poster and not as a mod.

For the record, my dislike for Colibri is mostly for show, and I hope/believe that the feeling is mutual.

I did actually like him as a poster, which is a rare thing for me since I barely remember who is who here or elsewhere. I have a not perfectly positive impression of his moderation style, but hardly the stuff you could make a telenovela from.

I post in GQ a lot and if he wanted to get on my case, I am sure he could with little effort. The fact that he doesn’t tells me that he just feels no need to make a lifestyle of disliking me, just as I don’t for him.

Although I am not saying that Ed is making shit up, the only indication of Colibri’s anguish at my post comes from the mouth of Ed. Colibri’s own response gives absolutely no indication that he made anything of it.

I do feel like Colibri pops up with more than average frequency with what I think are drive-by attacks on me, but I just take them to be him picking the low hanging fruit. I don’t take them to mean that he has a hard on for me.

So I will say that it is not we dislike each other, just that we don’t like each other (which I realize is what **What Exit? **said, but just making the clarification in case someone reads it the other way)