Eddie Murphy's SNL return

He had a recurring character a while back that was a kind of clueless stoner type that inexplicably had lots of sex. It was amusing to me in limited doses. OH…that was Pete Davidson making fun of himself for being Pete Davidson!

Chad

There have been at least six instances of SNL dropping the f-bomb during a broadcast (including by cast members Charles Rocket, Paul Shaffer, and Jenny Slate.)

Years and years ago the FCC threw up its hands and basically said, “We’re gonna look the other way unless we actually get complaints about it.” I suspect people who want to complain about SNL’s use of questionable language quit watching after the Martin Lawrence feminine hygiene monologue of 1994.

Note to Arkcon: That’s not a surly teen on the phone in the luxury car in that commercial. That’s the family’s Mom taking refuge in the luxury car.

I think you’re correct that there is a big difference between cable channels and broadcast TV. Still, there should be looser standards for a show that airs as late as this does.

I hope they have David Spade on next week for another Hollywood Minute.

Sorry to post again about Pete in an Eddie Murphy thread but searching for the Chad video I posted above, I found another one of my favorite Davidson sketches. Not playing Chad but still…Pete doing Pete.

For those unfamiliar with the reference, when he was on SNL in the 1990s, David Spade had a bit on Weekend Update where he’d make snarky jokes about celebrities. Once he put up a picture of Eddie Murphy, as he said, “Look children, it’s a falling star!” (Murphy had a couple of unsuccessful movies at that time.) Murphy was really pissed. He called up Spade and told him off. Murphy also stayed away from SNL for over thirty years as a result. Here’s a Rolling Stone piece about it.

It’s also the case that Eddie Murphy was hired during the short period of time in which Lorne Michaels wasn’t in charge of SNL. The fact that Murphy isn’t either beholden to Michaels or particularly friendly with Michaels probably has something to do with the long absence, too.

Murphy’s years on the show (1980 - 84) fall within that ‘no Lorne Michaels’ period.

USA could show the exact same content as HBO if they wanted to. The difference is that they rely on advertisers.

I thought the show (and indeed the individual sketches) had good parts and slow/bad parts but overall, I thought that Eddie Murphy truly does still have it.

They don’t normally curse on SNL, and Murphy’s immediate reaction right after saying it seemed to me more like it was something he accidentally let slip, rather than intentional dialogue.

It had all the originality and “lightning in a bottle” excitement of the Lion King remake.

If there’s one type of art where noatalgic by-the-book re-treads are absolutely the least interesting or useful, it’s comedy.

It’s been allowed for some time now—South Park did a whole episode celebrating it when it happened. They made a point of saying “shit” exactly the maximum number of times you can say it per episode, with a counter on the screen that incremented every time a character said it.

That’s how I know it’s been allowed for a long time—it was allowed back when I still watched South Park. I haven’t watched it in ages.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I meant is that it is a commercial decision rather than FCC regs because they are not a broadcast station.

thats pretty much every snl show even when i watched it during its second coming in the 90s

tho i still say the best “no michaels” era host was jesse jackson …

It’s a running joke for Michael Che to constantly call Colin Jost a racist while Colin just sits there haplessly being the most uncontroversial nice white guy.

The line between broadcast TV and cable has blurred quite a bit considering how many people in this thread have cited cable stations as proof of relaxed language rules on TV. I guess everyone has cable now and basic cable feels like network TV.

Eptuse me?:dubious::p:p:p

I somehow had no idea Eddie Murphy was hosting and I tuned in to see if it was a rerun. What a great surprise!

As soon as The Masked Singer bit started I knew it was gonna be Buckwheat. I too wish they hadn’t rushed through it.

A great show overall. I even enjoyed Lizzo in a trainwreck sort of way.

Really enjoyed seeing Murphy doing his old characters. Note: that’s just seeing them again. All too often the jokes themselves weren’t really fresh enough.

Murphy’s announcement for the show listed some of the characters he would do and ended with “and maybe Bill Cosby.”

I laughed long and hard at that thought.