Eddie Murphy's SNL return

I’ve only seen the big group bit but have to admit that the joke that floored me was Tracy Morgan’s. From memory:

Chappelle (IIRC): “We’ve got half of Netflix’s annual budget here on stage.”

Morgan: “Not me. I made my millions on the road.”

Murphy: “Oh, from touring?”

Morgan: “No, I got hit by a truck.”

[Morgan’s limo did get hit by a Walmart truck and he and several others got a multi-million dollar payout.]

Solid ep. Can someone explain the repeated references to smoking?

I enjoyed the baking skit, just because it was so silly. “Are those human teeth?” And when it started talking and burst into flames. Utter ridiculousness.

I also don’t understand the attraction of Pet Davidson.

All the baking competition skits are pretty funny- mostly because of the contrast between the description and the animation of what it should look like, vs. the abominable version of what the actual cake looks like and how the actors play off it.

In this case, the teeth and the “evil backwards devil-talk” were what had me in stitches.

I just saw the following article in The Huffington Post where Cosby’s Publicist - Andrew Wyatt - criticized Murphy for making disparaging remarks about Cosby.

Murphy has a history of criticizing Cosby. I seem to recall that began with Cosby telling Murphy he should not use any foul language in his routines. Cosby did not approve of any comedians who used foul language or who wore baggy pants or several other things. Murphy reacted by asking who Cosby thought he was to be “instructing” other performers how to behave on stage.

I wanted to make a comment that Wyatt would see. But there was no section for public comments in that article. If there was, I would have said words to the effect, “Well, Eddie may use foul language. But at least he doesn’t have a long history of drugging women and then raping them when they are helpless.”

South Park has been letting the “shit” bomb fly in almost very episode for quite some time now. They’ve even begun uncensoring it from older episodes.

ISTR that about 10-15 years ago they had an episode where they saw how many times they could say it in one episode- wasn’t the count like 105 times in 30 minutes or something similar?

After that, they just took the gloves off and say it whenever it’s appropriate.

They really couldn’t get Tim Meadows in there at the end? I doubt he was busy.

That was my favorite joke as well.

I also love it when Colin and Michael go after each other in their joke battle. It’s fun to see how far over the line they can go while still acknowledging that the jokes are offensive and inappropriate.

I just watched that episode of SNL and I’m curious about one thing.

At the end of the show, I thought I saw Larry David on stage with the cast. Was that Larry David? If so, does he have a regular role on SNL? Like is he a writer?

If it was Larry David, can anyone tell me why he was there? I didn’t see him appear on the episode. Did I miss him appearing on the show?

I didn’t see the opening, so I don’t know if he was in this ep, but he’s been doing appearances as Bernie Sanders.

Aha. Thank you kindly.

Larry David is more Bernie than Bernie himself. Kinda like Tina Fey/Sarah Palin.

That seems to be the entire point of that bit where they swap jokes. I’ve seen them do it before, but I don’t know how often they do it. The way they talked, it seemed like it was a tradition to do it on the final show before a break.

I liked that Colin actually got at least one good dig on Michael this time (the second one).

Garrett Morris is still working! For sure they could have had him out there too.

It’s been a thing they have done the last few years on the last show before Christmas. As a Christmas gift to each other, they each write jokes for the other and the first time they see them is when they read them live on air. Michael almost always writes jokes about race for Colin, and Colin usually gives Michael jokes about sex.

Yes, Larry David was in this episode’s cold open as Bernie Sanders.

It’s hilariously absurd that Cosby and team would lash out at Eddie Murphy’s comments, and that publicist’s justification for why We should revere Cosby was…I don’t even have the words.

I mean, you kinda lose your claim to the moral high ground when you’re a serial rapist, ya know?

well he was only convicted of one rape so far. :slight_smile:

One thing about Cosby now is that it seems every school that gave him an honorary degree revoked it. And he had a lot of them.

Seems as if Murphy has nothing better to do than revisit his early work.

I am the only one who noticed that E.M. could not remember his lines/read from the prompter? There have been non-actors who did better reads. Between that and his eyes never opening it was uncomfortable for me to watch.