Effeminate to carry a canvas grocery bag on the shoulder--or, why was I whistled at?

astro , you have a way of forcing the imagery… I just about caused a huge disturbance with my loud guffaw to that one… geez… ::wiping the tears::

javaman , personally I use a knapsack if I’m carrying more than my oversized laptop case can handle… It just seems to be a little more masculine looking when slung over the shoulder. I have no idea why, because many women carry knapsacks on their shoulder too.

Feynn, let’s just hope it doesn’t turn into a ‘grab bag’…:smiley:

Along the same lines, when I was in school it was the unspoken requirement that girls carry their stack of books up against their chests and boys carry theirs on the side, down by the hip, presumably to hide the all-too-frequent embarassing hallway erections.

Fifteen years later I would probably still carry mine on the side out of habit.

The book-carrying rules were the same when I was in high school, over 27 years ago. But I thought by the time you went, everyone used backpacks anyway, so nobody really had to carry books in their hands anymore.

Speaking of backpacks, do the conventions specify whether it matters if you have it on both shoulders, as opposed to one? I think I read somewhere that school students today think it’s uncool to wear it on both shoulders, or is that just guys? Or is the whole thing just BS? Mind you, I think it ought to be BS, but I want to know if today’s students acknowledge and follow this.

I don’t know about high school, but in elementary school, anyone who still has an over-the-sholder(s) knapsack generally wears it on both, and tries not to get too close to upright, as they would then probably keel over backwards! The rest of the kids have all converted to wheely backpacks like airline pilots use! Watch your toes at dismissal time…!!

We were told to carry our bags on both shoulders to avoid off-centre loading on the spine. Apparently some poor kids grew crooked because they carried too many books on too few shoulders.

Then again, the girls were also told to carry their bags on one shoulder in case they were attacked from behind – easier to slip out of it, harder to be pulled over backwards.

As for what I did: both shoulders. More comfortable. Though more recently I have been informed that that is uncool.

In times of trouble, go with what you know. Screw people; who needs 'em anyway?

My backpack has two straps and since I’m a frugal Scot I like to get the use out of both of them. That, and carrying it on one shoulder is really uncomfortable.

My kids know that they are to wear their backpacks as they were designed, slinging it over one shoulder is not acceptable.

Well, it may explain why you get Booty calls from men at midnight…

–pointing– Ha, ha, lookit javaman the pantywaist!

:wink:

What, just wanting a man-fur makes me gay? Quick, someone tell the gay mafia to take over Burlington Coat Factory!

Well, I’m a student and nobody really cares if you use one strap, or two. Also, on the book-carrying, I like carrying it on the side so you don’t have to hold your arms up all the time. In conclusion, who gives two cents what somebody thinks about the way you carry bags?

Lusting after man-furs, the grocery-bag carrying… you must be sending out signals… inadvertant or not, you’re a blip on their gaydar…:smiley:

Damn, now you’ve really got me jonesing for a man-fur.

Are you sure you don’t want one, Lurker? Check it outttt.. He’s one baddd mother-f(shut your mouth!)

Hey, some people can pull it off… I’m old enough to remember Clyde and Broadway Joe Namath. Me in that coat? I may have to shave my head. Think I’d pull that off? Do I come off cool, biker, skinhead, or chemo patient?

My take on that is for high school boys excessive neatness has always bordered on uncool, if not actually synonymous with it. Wearing your backpack over both shoulders definitely presents a neater, more symmetrical effect.

Recently perusing a coffee-table book on life in the 1950’s, I got the impression that you had to wear your shirt-tail out if you wanted to be cool. Which doesn’t quite agree with James Dean’s reasonably neat attire in Rebel Without A Cause, but the book definitely gave the impression that neatness was hopelessly out of it.

In my own school days, IIRC, we were like that up until about the 9th grade (California, 1970), then most of us started tucking. If you showed up in senior high with your shirt tail hanging out, you were a slob.

So where do I find bags for grocery shopping that don’t force me to squat to pee?

Attack of the zombie bags! Reported.

Hah! well what do you know.

In the nine years since I asked this question it’s become entirely moot. The bags are now too cheaply made to have shoulder straps. And the canvas they were made from has been giving way to plastic.

Well, then why start caring about it now? Those people who make a deal about it are idiots whose opinions aren’t worth caring about, in my opinion.

Two important truths I keep in mind when out in public:

The world isn’t about you. With the addendum: Most people (like 98%) have got better things to do with their time than annoy you.
People who say /do stupid things in public are not worth paying attention to.

Partly this is from my own experience: I’m walking along with a friend, in conservation, and they say something funny. I laugh out loud, exactly as we’re passing a third person. It’s very easy for that 3rd person to imagine we were laughing at him, when in fact, he’s not relevant to our conversation at all.

This is not to dismiss that of course, some people love taking notice of how strangers dress, talk, act in public and laughing at them. But people who do this are not important.

Likewise, point 2: sometimes in the summer I wear a hat made from bamboo leaves (in Taiwan). It’s better for giving shade to my head than cloth caps, so I like it. Inevitably, some teens in the subway will start using fake Asian words, pulling their eyes apart to imitate Asian eyes etc. when I’m wearing the hat. (When my over 6 ft. tall, bulky friend wears the same hat, it’s completly silent). I ignore them. They’re not important enough to ruin my day or make me wear something less practical/ comfortable.

I’m European and female.