Egg Beaters--opinions?

[QUOTE=pulykamell]
I don’t use eggs in either, myself. My mac & cheese is based on a bechamel, as is my white layer in lasagne (I make mine Bolgnese style with alternating layers of a beef ragu and besciamella).
[/QUOTE]

I’ve never tried a bechamel based lasagne, that sounds good!

My mac and cheese is now this guy’s mac and cheese and it’s bechamel based, of course, but with egg added, 'cause it’s essentially a casserole, with that almost-custardy thing eggs do to really thick casseroles. Interesting, I didn’t know you could do a good baked mac without egg.

[QUOTE=WhyNot]
My mac and cheese is now this guy’s mac and cheese and it’s bechamel based, of course, but with egg added, 'cause it’s essentially a casserole, with that almost-custardy thing eggs do to really thick casseroles. Interesting, I didn’t know you could do a good baked mac without egg.
[/QUOTE]
I’ve heard of doing so but I stick with my mom’s eggy version.

I am intrigued by this note in your recipe: “Remember to save leftovers for fried Macaroni and Cheese.”. What’s up with that?

[QUOTE=gigi]
I’ve heard of doing so but I stick with my mom’s eggy version.

I am intrigued by this note in your recipe: “Remember to save leftovers for fried Macaroni and Cheese.”. What’s up with that?
[/QUOTE]

Heh. Exactly what it sounds like, only better.

Take leftover (baked) mac & cheese. Chill it. Slice it into 1.5 inch slabs. Dredge it in flour, tap off the excess, then dip in in egg with a little water and finally in panko bread crumbs with salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne. Let it sit 5 minutes and then deep fry it in oil.

No, IANACardiologist.

[QUOTE=WhyNot]
Take leftover (baked) mac & cheese. Chill it. Slice it into 1.5 inch slabs. Dredge it in flour, tap off the excess, then dip in in egg with a little water and finally in panko bread crumbs with salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne. Let it sit 5 minutes and then deep fry it in oil.
[/QUOTE]
I must tell Mom about this. Who says you can’t have heaven on earth?