Eggplant Lasagna

Any got a good recipe?

I’ve tried a search here but didn’t come up with actual instruction, just people telling me how wonderful it is :slight_smile:

Some sites tell me salt, dry and broil the eggplant first, other say don’t bother broiling it.

Some sites tell me to make a bechamel sauce, others say that 3 cheeses is best.

Is there a basic version that everyone uses that I can build upon?

I LOVE the stuff. It’s the first thing I ever learned to make. Here’s what I’ve got:
1 Eggplant
2 tsp salt
1 bowl of water
2 eggs (beaten… egg beaters prolly works too)
a plate w/ flour on it
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (I like Ragu b/c I was raised on it, but whatever)
1 large tub of ricotta
1 large bag of shredded mozarella
First I peel the eggplant, then cut it into slices about 1/4" thick

I add the salt to the bowl of water and leave the eggplant slices in the bowl for a couple of hours (This is supposed to draw out the bitterness… I don’t know if it does, I’m too afraid to skip this step to find out)

Then I dip the pieces in the egg, drag them across the flour and lightly fry them.

Then you layer a casserole dish just like you would for lasagna, but with eggplant in place of the pasta layers.

A bit of sauce at the bottom
Eggplant
Ricotta
Sauce
cheese

I usually get through this pattern twice and make sure I end with cheese on top. Then bake at 350 for about 25 minutes (So long as the cheese has melted, you should be good to go.)

Gosh, this stuff is so good. I might have to make some tonight. Yum, yum.

malkavia’s recipe is VERY similar to mine… I cut my eggplant thinner… and mix in cheddar but that’s just me… one thing for certain… it is GOOD EATS!

Salting and prefrying the eggplant really helps to increase the flavor.
This is how I usually eat eggplant.

Fried eggplant and salmon!!