Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (on the XBox)

Is no one else playing this game? I did a search and found only three threads, with hardly any responses, and none of them were really about the game itself.

An awesome game. This game was worth buying a big screen TV for (though we didn’t, in fact, buy it for the game, but it worked out that way). The only thing that is lacking is NPC interaction, meaning having a real party like in Baldur’s Gate 2, but you can even manage a reflection of that if you complete certain storyline quests.

This is the first game in a long time I have chosen to be female. No reason, it just seems like ths game is supposed to be more “you”.

I didn’t like Morrowind too much, as it was a little too dark and too wild for me. The land of Cyrodil is perfect though - plenty of wilderness, plenty of towns, lots of civilization, tons of quests.

I finished the Fighter’s Guild and Mage’s Guild quests, and am currently working my way through the Assassin’s Guild quests, which are incredibly fascinating. If you make too much noise, people actually follow you and say “I thought I heard something. Must just have been the wind.” I’m getting pretty good at sneaking around. Yesterday I stood in the shadows two feet from someone as they peered around, looking for me. I couldn’t afford to get caught.

I bought all the houses, one in each town, and after I finish the Assassin’s Guild, will probably start on the Thieves’ Guild. I’ve done a majority of the miscellaneous quests, and all of this is before I started on the Main Quest!

We also bought or downoaded some of the expansions. An incredibly game, with nary a gun or modern item in sight, just the way I like it.

So - anyone else want to talk about it? I know some of you out there are playing!

I played it on the PC. We talked about it rather a lot when it came out, going on two years ago.

Is that a not-so-subtle hint that I am late to the party and should shut my trap? :stuck_out_tongue: Oh well. I m always late to the parties.

Another PC player, here. I love open-ended, non-linear games and Morrowind and Oblivion are two of the greatest. There’s no telling how many hours I spent decorating all my characters’ houses in Tamriel. But seriously, do yourself a favor and get the PC version. The console commands and (free) mods are definitely worth another $30-50 (or whatever it’s priced at).

Unfortunately, what has kept the latter two Elder Scrolls from being as great as Fallout 1 and 2 has been the lack of interesting dialogue options and memorable NPC personalities. I still find the original Fallout more immersive than Oblivion. Which may not bode well for Fallout 3, I’m afraid.

Great game, but yeah. You’re late to the party. Live in the now!

I love Oblivion on the Xbox 360! I’ve taken 4 or 5 characters through the main quest and have done all of the major guild quest lines. The assassin and thief guild quest lines were my absolute favorites. They both get extremely interesting towards the end.

I’ve never really run around doing many of the miscellaneous quests and I’m probably missing a ton of content because of that. Now that you mention it, I seem to remember buying the Knights of the Nine content but didn’t play it much. I guess I’ll just have to go back and play it again. :smiley: (If I can manage to get Rock Band 2 away from my wife that is.)

What kind of characters have you tried? Mine always fall into the ‘guy with a big sword’ or ‘stealthy archer’ categories. I’m tempted to give a pure mage a try.

I can’t buy it for the PC. I don’t have a PC good enough to run it. Mine would just fall over, dead. My PC is on its last days anyhoo. And I’m not willing to buy a new one.

I generally play “big guy with a sword”, too, but I did try to play to the guild I was masering. Maybe next time I’ll try a pure mag, or more likely, a sneaky character - the sneaking options are awesome.

As to living in the now, older games are often the best. You can pry my Dungeon Keepr from my cold, dead, hands, for example. Oblivion isn’t even that old yet.

I have fond memories of this game as well. The only thing I didn’t like about it was the feeling of loneliness. Almost like playing an MMORPG, except there is no else on the server.

It’s the only thing that kept me from finishing the expansion (shivering Isles) and why I’m looking forwardto the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion in 2 months :slight_smile:

The PC version is superior to the console version of course thanks to modding and better graphic quality (anyone play the archeology guild quests mods, those rocked!). But that doesn’t matter if your PC can’t run it.

Gahhh, I might re-install this this weekend now, thanks a lot, I actually wanted to get some things done this weekend! :wink:

That’s one of my favorite thing about the game. I’ve played lots of MMORPGs over the past 10 years and love them but it tends to take away from the atmosphere of a dungeon when you’re sharing it with 50 other people.

Small scale multi-player options on the other hand would make me so happy.

You can get NPCs, if you so desire. Should I spoiler it? May as well:

You can get an NPC from the Mages Guild, the Assassin’s Guild, and the Knights of the Nine, as well as an Arena Fan, if you beat all of the relevant quests. However, they do get in the way of the battle sometimes. And you can’t really take them sneaking. But you don’t have to be alone.

Still, there is no interacton between you and them.

If you mean like online, well, I can do without that. For every one nice person online you have 50 teenagers yelling CHEATER! just because you’re good at something. I really don’t like online play much.

I’m at 200 hours and still playing this game. I came late to the Xbox 360, so I got the Game of the Year Edition with Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine. So much content, I haven’t even started the main storyline. I do wish I had a good PC to play with some of the mods out there or write a few, but obviously I’m quite happy with what I have. The most engrossing game I’ve played in a very long time.

Meh. Couldn’t get into it for some reason. Auto-scaling difficulty ruined it for me, by the time I was bothered to mod it for PC the mystique had worn off. Clearly, not enough phat lewts.

Nope, by no means do you have to shut your trap. It just explains why more people aren’t talking about it. :slight_smile:

I played a stealth archer toon, lightly modded. My toon was ferocious by the end so I found most of the game to be a very minor challenge. I took a strange and slightly perverse pleasure in stealing every set of silverware in the entire imperial city.

The trick was brutally simple. I created a 100% chameleon spell that I cast pretty much all the time. I crafted a devastating bow that drained a big soul gem in maybe a dozen shots. I maxed alchemy early in the game, so I usually tossed a dmg+paralysis+silence pot on my first shot. I also found Umbra by accident very early in the game. My MO was quite simple. I named my perfect chameleon spell “Shinobi.”

1. Cast Shinobi.
  2. Fire two, perhaps even three stealth shots at a mob at X3 plus alchemy.
  3. Switch to Umbra and close for a X6 stealth sneak attack. KB on Umbra.
  4. Recharge my bow with my refreshable Daedra soulgem, whose name eludes me at the moment.

Occasionally I would kill something in three shots with my bow and would not get the soul capture. Oh well.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, could withstand this. Perhaps that is why I ended up stealing so much silverware.

Eh, can’t be doing with 100% chameleon, breaks the game.

Although I do have a spell which will kill pretty much anything in one hit for my mage.

Played it inside out, modded it to death, don’t play it much these days.

Maybe it was 99%, who remembers.

I started a new game of Oblivion this weekend. The allure of mods was too much for me though and I had to dig out my PC version copy and re-install it.

I’m going with a pure mage and only falling back on a dagger or staff when my mana runs low. It’s been lots of fun! There’s just something funny about launching rats high in the air with a well placed fireball that never gets old.

It’s still a bit surprising that Oblivion always has something new for me even when I’ve played it through dozens of times. Thanks for the thread Anaamika!

How is the mood compared to Morrowind? I found Morrowind dismal, and eventually had to put it down because it was despressing me. I don’t need constant neurotic happiness out of a game but with all the NPCs pissed of all the time and the constant sandstorms and the red skies and everything, Morrowind was just dark.

Been too busy playing to post about it. Picked it up the end of April, found the Oblivion Wiki, found some cheats, started a new game with an Imperial rather than a Dark Elf, haven’t had a decent nights sleep since then.

I liked the mood and original style of Morrowind, and so stopped playing Oblivion half way through because I found it to be too much of a generic fantasy world, and so I just wasn’t as interested in exploring (also, the terrain seemed to vary more in Morrowind, so traveling actually felt worth it, in Oblivion, while there were a few exceptions, seemed to have the same types of area repeated endlessly).

Loved, loved, loved Morrowind, probably my second favorite game ever.

But I’ll have to come in and hate on the scaled leveling like in every Oblivion thread. Totally ruined the sense of immersion. At low levels, it was like running around in Disneyland-- nothing could hurt you, and there was no exciting equipment. At high levels every average joe had glass armor.

I generally just never leveled up and played it kind of like a Lord of the Rings-style fantasy with few magical items and a general absence of heroes with godlike power.