Election Day [Week][Month[s]] [Year] 2020 follow-along thread

The sources I’ve read on the process for Congress to resolve objections to electoral votes don’t find the same ambiguity as that article. The process is that the Vice President opens the certified electoral votes received from each state. If one Senator and one Representative jointly present in writing an objection to those electors, the chambers separately debate and vote on whether to accept or reject the electors. Only if both chambers vote to reject the electors are they rejected. If that does not happen, then then the electoral votes are automatically counted.

So while I’m certain that Republicans will raise objections, pretty much all they can do is slow things down. The House is sure to vote down any objections, and I can’t see the Senate going along with it either particularly since, by a quirk of timing, there will likely only be 50 Republican Senators in the chamber at that point. Both Georgia Senators’ terms expire at the end of the current Congress. The runoff to decide who will fill those seats is on January 5, and the joint session is the next day. It’s pretty unlikely that the winners of the runoff elections will be certified and sworn-in in time to participate in the joint session.