Election Day [Week][Month[s]] [Year] 2020 follow-along thread

This sentence that you are now reading is the only sentence in which you will find the words nice, dignified, and Trump.

Trump is neither nice nor dignified.

I am laughing so hard now! Diaper Don must be soooo mad at DoNothing Ducey right now.

His list of people to get mad at seems to be growing daily… and I hope it will continue to do so, all the way through Jan. 20.

Read bobot’s post again, more carefully. The word “Trump” isn’t there.

Judge Batten also rescinded his own order just hours later, seemingly on a technicality. The suit was filed against the State of Georgia and Secretary of State Raffensperger. These defendants pointed out that they are not the right defendants, as the voting machines are controlled by the individual counties election boards, not by the state.

On Monday, Smith’s campaign issued a statement officially conceding to Garcia.

“This is not the end result we fought for, but I am proud of the strong, grassroots campaign we ran,” she said. “We exhausted every possible option, and did everything within our power to ensure that every voice in this election was heard. Nonetheless, we came up short.”

Both Los Angeles and Ventura Counties certified their results Monday, with 333 votes separated the two candidates.

Only 300 votes and still she had the grace to concede.

It looks like trump and his enablers have one more hail Mary pass attempt to try.

TL;DR version as I understand it: On Jan 6 when Congress votes to certify the elector votes, it takes only 1 Senator and 1 Rep to team up and protest the results. This could lead to a vote on the integrity of multiple slates of electors that’s not likely to pass both houses of Congress.

But if it somehow did, Constitutional law is unclear at that point, but it would likely come down to a vote by the Governors of the contested states (which in MI PA and WI are Democrats). So it would be a crazy longshot for trump but would be a shit show for the country to go through.

Another wonderful analogy!
Dopers have offered a lot of good ones in recent weeks.

Read Railer’s post again, more carefully. His sentence is self-referential.

The sources I’ve read on the process for Congress to resolve objections to electoral votes don’t find the same ambiguity as that article. The process is that the Vice President opens the certified electoral votes received from each state. If one Senator and one Representative jointly present in writing an objection to those electors, the chambers separately debate and vote on whether to accept or reject the electors. Only if both chambers vote to reject the electors are they rejected. If that does not happen, then then the electoral votes are automatically counted.

So while I’m certain that Republicans will raise objections, pretty much all they can do is slow things down. The House is sure to vote down any objections, and I can’t see the Senate going along with it either particularly since, by a quirk of timing, there will likely only be 50 Republican Senators in the chamber at that point. Both Georgia Senators’ terms expire at the end of the current Congress. The runoff to decide who will fill those seats is on January 5, and the joint session is the next day. It’s pretty unlikely that the winners of the runoff elections will be certified and sworn-in in time to participate in the joint session.

I don’t think the article, or my TL;DR version, was all that ambiguous. The capsule description right in the article link says “It’s deeply unlikely to succeed”.

I’m more pissed off that the country is being put through all this shit for an election that trump clearly lost, than concerned trump could somehow hold onto power, at this point.

I imagine the Republicans are relieved that the Dems have enough votes to block this nonsense without any of them having to come out in public against Dear Leader. We are entering the latest era of “blame the Democrats for everything.”

That article highlights a key reason why Trump will keep the circus going until his last day in office (and beyond) – he has raised an eye-popping $170 million in campaign contributions since Election Day. That’s unheard of. It’s more than he raised in any single month leading up to the election. And while a small fraction of that money may actually pay for lawyers challenging the results, the bulk of it goes into his campaign account that he can use for another White House run or other political activities.

It is still going on, though, because after he rescinded his order I guess the case was hurriedly refiled because now he has ordered 3 counties to preserve their machines so there can be an audit. There will be a hearing Friday AIUI to give the defendants a chance to argue against this.

I’m still unclear in this case and others what good all these audits and recounts are doing for trump’s case since all the key states have certified for Biden.

I think trump has 5 days to request another recount in Wisconsin too.

Not many people know that refurbishing fortifying Mar-A-Lago is a political activity.

As long as there are idiots like the ex-Overstock CEO and the thousands of Trumpers donating money to his campaign, Trump will continue to lie about the election results. It’s all about creating a war chest for Trump to plunder in an attempt to stae off his next bankruptcy. Trump will continue to milk the hate-filled, idiotic cow for all that he can.

And I’m more concerned about the precedents being set. If Trump, or anyone else for that matter, wins the party nomination in 2024, and both houses are Republican majority, it seems like there are many paths for party to discard the results and simply insert their guy. “The Dems cheated again, but this time we aren’t going to let them get away with it.”

That’s horrifying. There goes democracy.