Ellen Page is trans/nonbinary now, name is Elliot

He came out as gay in 2014 which did not really surprise many people

Cool.

I admit I’m surprised, but there’s also this feeling of “of course he is.” There are three people I’ve followed on YouTube who have done similar transitions, and they all have this certain mannerism I can’t quite describe, as well as this same kind of petit boyish look to them. In hindsight, they all reminded me of Elliot Page.

The mannerism could just be being uncomfortable in their assigned gender, but the aesthetic definitely makes me think there may be a physiological component. Since even sex is not binary (Scishow video link), I kinda wonder if these particular people with nonbinary gender identification are also of nonbinary sex.

I also find the whole “he/they” pronoun thing to be interesting. It implies to me that the main thing those folk know is that they’re not female. I’ve seen “she/they” before, too. The former tend to be AFAB, while the latter are usually AMAB. It suggests to me that the main thing they know is that they are not the gender they were assigned at birth (which is what the acronyms above mean).

Learning more about gender and how humans really work is always fascinating to me. Though I do sometimes worry I’m objectifying people a bit.

he’s married to a woman so I guess that may change now. Knew a trans woman who stayed married to her wife for a short while after transition but eventually divorced.

Curious what this means for season 3 of Umbrella Academy (IMDB has already updated Elliot’s new name in the credits, and pronouns in his biography as far as I can tell)

Brian

…there is zero reason to think this may change now. What on earth would make you say something like that? Just because you know a couple who happened to get divorced doesn’t give you any special insight here.

An interesting question. It’s certainly possible to write it in, but can they can do it well?

Depends on if Elliot is OK playing a cis woman. If they make Vanya trans, I hope that isn’t the main reason for doomsday #3.

Brian

I mean, of course his (or is that “their”? I’m not sure which way to go, with pronouns of “he/they”) marital status might change. Anyone’s marital status might change. But I would assume that anyone who’s going public about something like this has probably already discussed it in depth with their spouse, and in fact those discussions probably had something to do with the decision to go public.

But hey, as long as we’re trading anecdotes, my mom’s next door neighbor came out as trans a couple of years ago, and her and her wife’s relationship seems to be as strong as it’s ever been (and certainly, both of them are now friendlier to the neighbors, possibly due to that big source of stress now being addressed).

He was OK to be a lesbian playing a bisexual, I’m sure he’ll have no problem being a trans man playing same, if they don’t rewrite Vanya as a trans man (They’ve diverged a bit from the comics, so they’re free to do whatever they like, I suppose).

Anyway - good for him.

Just a question about he/they – when I’ve seen this before, I’ve seen the nominative and objective terms, I think (he/him, she/her, they/them). I don’t really understand what he/they means. If I were to see Elliot on the street, would I say, “There he is” or “There they are”?

This page (first Google result) doesn’t help.

In my social group, which is admittedly one data point but made up of a variety of queers, when someone states “he/them” as identifiers, they mean you can use either they/them or he/him interchangeably.

Thanks!

He may be okay with it, but those are rather different. One is about pretending to be attracted to someone you’re not, while the other is pretending to be something you are not, something you disliked being seen as so much that you decided to publicly transition.

Actors do that—actors will play genders which are not their own–but it’s a lot less common. And trans folk specifically often have a hard time going back to pretending to be the gender they transitioned from.

He may be okay with continuing to play a woman while not being one. But it is still a different thing that just playing someone with a different sexual orientation.

Heck, we don’t know if he has/will decide(d) to take testosterone, which could deepen his voice and make it harder to play female characters.

And, yes, I’ve always seen he/they to be short for “either he/him or they/them.” I’ve even seen “he/she/they.”

Page in Hard Candy. One scary movie.

What special insight do you need to consider that a lesbian may not want to be married to a man?

His wife is very happy for him.

Elliot Page’s Wife Emma Portner Applauds ‘Juno’ Star for Coming Out as Trans: ‘I Am So Proud’

Zero reason?
Emma Portner came out as gay 8 years ago and married a woman 2 years ago. That might mean she wants to be married to a woman. I have a problem with your assumption that gay women can just be turned
The choice to make the change was inherently Elliot’s. The choice to love and support the change is inherently Emma’s. The choice to continue to remain married is for both of them to decide together.

Emma Portner married somebody who identified as a woman. I don’t feel it’s unreasonable to speculate that having her wife turn into her husband might put a strain on their marriage.

Yes it is.