Elton John annoys the fuck out of me

Dear God, what have I begun?!? :eek:

Russell Crowe annoys the shit out of me – rant about him next, please.

Oh, and Bono.

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high, and don’t be afraid of the dark…

::: runs away, ducking rotten tomatoes :::

Uuuuuuooooooooo Tonight
Oooooohhhhhhhhh its right
Tonight is right for love
Love Gravy!

“I’d gladly pay $50 for one!”

Hey, there’s always Carrot Top. And I don’t find Steve Harvey to be even remotely funny.

Esprix

I second the Russell Crowe nomination. He annoys me simply by existing.

Well I don’t know much about Russell Crowe, but I’m always eager to please so I’ll do my best…

“You know who else I hate? Russell Crowe, the Goddamn, inbred, Tv producer hitting, gladiating, toenail clipping! I’ll give him a bloody acceptance speech poem! Bastard!”

Any good?

Sorry Esprix, I have no idea who Carrot top or Steve Harvey are, so the best I can do is stress that they’re both clearly assholes.

As for the singing… anymore of that and I’ll start on my rendition of the Spice Girls greatest hits!
Consider yourselves warned!

I second the Leo DiCrapio nomination.

Hey! I am SO not a sycophant! I’m, like, the anti-sycophant. So there. phtthbbbbbbbtttttt

re: the Spice Girls greatest hits…what’s a “zigazigah” and why do they really, really, really, really want one?

How do you feel about Michael Jackson? I can’t stand that asswipe. I’ve hated him ever since he really made it big with Thriller. I’ve been hoping (in vain, as it’s turned out so far) ever since that his career would take a nosedive and he’d fade into oblivion. Hasn’ t happened yet. No matter how weird he gets, no matter what color he decides to make his skin, no matter which age or gender he chooses to satisfy his prurient interests, no matter how much his music sucks, he just can’t seem to commit career suicide.

Mom’s pudding bowl.

Now THAT’s humor.

:smiley:

I was getting upset about that comment until I noticed you’re from Idaho. Communique from the 21st century: we’re pissed about boy bands these days. MJ songs are magical; they make us caper and dance like chimps. Not like Michael, of course, cause no one dances like Michael.

Racer1, though, dances to Donna Summer songs, for the most part.

Hi. My name is Lib, and I like Elton John.

I like him despite that he so often speaks Fischeresquely, with a mouth full of his own foot. I like him no matter that he spends money like Sharon Osbourne. I like him even with his fake hair, ugly mug, and stubby little fingers. I like him because of his music; or more to the point, because of his taste in music.

Granted, until recently, he has not produced as much high quality music as he did in the 70s. But to summarily discard that era would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. If he is anything at all along those lines, then he is to be pitied, like the Fat Elvis, who was a pathetic shell of the Early Elvis.

There’s too much good stuff — and I mean really really good stuff — from Elton John (and Bernie) just to go, “He buys too many flowers and he has a bad hairdo. Let’s crucify him!”

From my Elton collection, I can hear whatever my mood desires, from classical masterpieces like Sixty Years On to haunting fantasia like Valerie. From minuets like I Need You To Turn To to gutter rock like Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting. From harmonic minor dirges like Funeral for a Friend to virtuoso piano concertos like Ticking. From heart wrenching ballads like Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters to naive love songs like Your Song. From raucous ragtime like I Think I’m Gonna Kill Myself to deeply stirring introspections like All the Nasties. From riverboat show tunes like Dixie Lily to moody meditations like Madman Across the Water. From technically interesting chromatics like I’ve Seen the Saucers to passionate social statements like Burn Down the Mission. From Wagnerian soulfulness like Levon to anxiety ridden angst like All the Young Girls Love Alice. From startling tributes like Empty Garden to spirited gospel music like Salvation. From fun western ditties like A Texan Love Song to music with magnum opus greatness like Episode at Heinton. From hand-holding songs like Tiny Dancer to scruffy funk like Honkey Cat.

The wailing organ in Mellow. The surprising modulations in Where to Now St. Peter?. The chilling falsetto in Rocket Man. The masterfully expert keyboarding in Talking Old Soldiers. The perfect blending of music and lyric in Greatest Discovery. The incredibly lusty chord play in Amoreena. The authentic feel in Country Comfort. The rolling bass rift in Techer I Need You. The unusually evocative phrasing in Come Down in Time. The odd time signature in Holiday Inn.

And a whole lot more. That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. I’m going to put on some Elton right now and have a listen. And I think I’ll start with We All Fall in Love Sometimes. You can do as you please, but I’m glad I like Elton John.

Good call on Michael Jackson dwc1970, he is well worthy of a rant too! He does deserve credit for the amount of jokes he has inspired since the kiddie “unpleasantness” though :wink:

Good for you Lib, and nice to meet you. Elton John has done a few songs I do like quite a lot, and I only mean to crucify him in a flippant kind of way (not to retract the fact that he does really annoy me with what he comes out with sometimes). Basically, Elton is not for me, but if you can take pleasure from his stuff (and that goes for anyone and any artist) then I’m pleased.

Billy Baroo, I am indeed particial to some Donna Summer. Now who the hell is she again?

pbrtallboy, I figure they want some talent :wink:

Finally, don’t worry featherlou, you’re a bastard like the rest of us :smiley:

Um… partial even. I dunno what I was trying to write there :slight_smile:

Can someone else take on the Leo DiCaprio rant? I think I broke my brain.

You have no idea who Carrot Top is? Oh, what sweet relief it would be to have your life, just for a moment.

I hate the boy bands, too. I just hope they aren’t going to be around as long as Mr. Jackson has been (career-wise, of course). Just as Racer1 ranted about how Elton John is always in the media and one can’t ignore his presence no matter how much someone might hate him, the same seems to hold true for MJ. I wish that I didn’t know the things that I do know about MJ just through passing mention in the media of the things he has done. That is the primary basis of my rant, that MJ is un-ignorable. I know I said his music sucks and I won’t recant that statement as it’s just how I personally feel about his music, that’s all.

Thank you. Like pulling frinkin’ teeth to get some proper recognition around here.

What are they, and what do you like about them?