Elton John annoys the fuck out of me

Right. That’s it. I’m going to play my copies of A Single Man, Leather Jackets and The Fox now, and admit that I, too, like Elton John. Well, apart from stuff like Blue Eyes and that ilk. But most of his stuff I like.

Oh, the shame. The inhumanity …

I haven’t heard a single Elton John song that I can bear listening to since he and Kiki Dee teamed up (1976?). That’s also when he and Bernie Taupin started to have a strain in their relationship. I have no idea what it was about the duo that made them bring out the best in each other, but Elton John is not the same singer when Bernie’s not involved.

While I haven’t been able to stand anything he’s done in 26 years, I still consider Madman Across the Water to be one of the better albums I’ve ever heard.

Let’s not forget he did the musicals Lion King and Aida with Tim Rice. No matter what you think of them, they are successful.

From this post, I can’t figure out if you’re for or agin him, Annie.

Absolutely. I never thought he’d it back, but he did with this album.

As for the OP…it’s kind of hard to really get into hating any celebrity who’s spent a lot of his own money and time fighting AIDS. Look at it like that.

Or don’t. Whatever.

Good point, Sophie, I hadn’t even considered any charity work he may have done. I guess the sad thing here (aside from me feeling the need to rant about something so stupid ;)) is that the media never mentions these things, just shows us the annoying stuff about dresses or his latest outburst.

Annie, you’re absolutely correct. I’m not saying he isn’t talented or popular, I’m just saying the guy annoys me and I don’t think much of his music.

Sorry, Lib, I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

I fully concur with the OP. I would sooner gouge out my eyes than watch the ugly lil toad in the Post Office ad again. Why the hell does he need pull that dreadful faux west coast accent, so utterly, toe-curlingly awful, when he was born in Pinner??

AHHH wunnn luuuuve, jes’ a dif’rent KAAAAAAND, ahh wun’ luuv whoan’ brekk meh down . . .

AAGGHFFHFT! ShutupshutupshutUP!

:rips ears off:

Ahh, better.

Oh, and apparently ‘zigazig-ahh’ is not a thing, but more a state of mind on par with getting down with one’s bad self. Apparently, no cite I’m afraid. Also, indeed we have no Carrot Top in the UK. Saints be praised, and all that.

So how does it compare to something like, say, “getting jiggy wit’ it?”

You do if you click on THIS! http://www.carrottop.com/

(Just doing my bit to spread the hatred. I actually saw him and laughed my butt off – the two double martinis probably helped – but his site is pretty horrible.)

Oh. Dear. Guhhh.

I’ll never moan about Elton again. Sorry Racer1, but they have infinitely worse horrors to contend with. You’re on your own.

Oh yeah, Potter?

Well, how about if I remind you of the bit at the end of the advert when he says “Magic!” in that stupid voice? That bit makes me want to cut myself. :smiley:

Read this and the comments, IT DID NOT disappoint :joy:

I’d rather listen to my alarm going off all day than Elton John. Like the OP I am definitely not homophobic or ageist etc I just, for some reason, really dislike Elton, he’s probably a great person when you know him, I don’t and I doubt very very much he gives a toss if I like him or not but there’s just something AHHHHHHHHHHHH! NO! About him…

Odd wee bald man with glasses who plays the piano and sings about small dancers, I don’t get it :woman_shrugging: Am I baldest, sizeist, visually-impairedist?

I’d rather listen to Mongolian throat singing, genuinely, at least that’s intriguing or interesting.

If I met Elton I don’t know how I would, by accident obviously, not on purpose, I’d have nothing to say to him, I think he’d unintentionally make me mute… “This is Elton John”
“Right… I better remember to buy tomato ketchup on the way home, I don’t want to eat dry chips….”

I can’t put my finger on what exactly IT IS that makes me cringe when he’s on the radio or TV but Bono kinda makes me feel the same way. These dudes just exist and folk swoon? Why :joy:

I think I have good news for you.

Is it genuine good news, Yes?

For someone who made a statement like his, and this being the Pit, yes. Perhaps not surprising after 21 years, and tempered by the fact that Bowie, Prince and Lemmy are also gone.
Oh, and talking about people that annoy the fuck out of me, I nominate Bono and Madonna.

Bono, he’s another one that I have this hostility towards, I wish I could explain it. I don’t understand why he is famous/revered?

If someone gave me Elton John’s autograph, or Bono’s - I’d treat it the same way as if a random taxi driver signed a beer mat and handed me it… I’d laugh, shrug and bin it.

It is fairly easy, he is a pretentious dickhead who thinks fame as a musician automatically makes him internationally important in politics, environmental isuues etc.

He is a good musician, and with the rest of U2 has produced some fairly iconic music. “War” and “The Joshua Tree” albums stand out for me.

But on his own, fuck that guy.

Does it have to be a living celebrity? After all, those that have parted this mortal coil have left behind recordings, both audio and video, of their work. If you’re opening this up to include the deceased, I suggest Liberace, if for no other reason than that inane smile.

Also, fuck my spelling.

Watch reality shows
You’ll find plenty of peeps to be annoyed by.

Those house fixers Chip and Joanna annoy me. I cannot see them or their ads without wanting to barf.
Mike Holmes on that other fix it show, the same.

Does it have to be a celebrity? I’m gonna throw Sun bears into this hate pit :joy: