Emergency bag...what's in yours?

When I lived in Japan, I always kept a backpack of emergency items beside the front door. I was always sure I would forget something in case there was a natural disaster or emergency where I’d have to escape quickly. (I was in Tokyo for the Kobe earthquake of '95.)

Here’s a list of the things in the rather large backpack always ready by the front door.

Roll of toilet paper (notice how that is first?)
Passport
Alien card
50,000Yen (the equivalent of roughly $500 USD)
Address book/phone book
Official documents (diplomas, birth cert, naturalization cert)
Two cans of tuna
can opener
tin of soup
jar of peanut butter
Power Bars
Bottle of water
Small bottle of Tylenol
toothbrush
tooth paste
small hand towel
2 prs of panties
jumper
umbrella
battery travel alarm clock

Do you have an emergency bag? What is in it?

whoh, how can you call that a japanese emergency stash without a Crunky candy bar.

Seriosly, I’ve got a 50 foot length of 300 pound test safety line that fits into a very tiny space. think hotel on fire and have to go out the window

I used to carry a “road emergency” pack, but I actually forgot to do it this past winter. I think it’s probably a good idea, although in case of an earthquake, I’d bring more than one bottle of water. And I think I’d toss in a pint of your favorite spirits, too. You’ll probably be wanting a cocktail right after an earthquake, no? ;>)

I actually don’t have one - it’s something I’ve considered, but then I never get around to it. Basically, I know where my keys and wallet are, and that’s it.

Three MREs (meals ready to eat) w/ heaters
Eating utensils
First-Aid supplies
Two quarts of water
Iodine tablets
Flashlight and extra batteries
Extra socks and underwear
2-meter radio and extra battery pack
Semiautomatic handgun and 200 rounds of ammo
Poncho
Combat knife
Soap
Small binoculars
Matches
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Map
Gun cleaning accessories
Sun screen and bug repellent
Money
Whistle

Does what’s in my car count? For emergencies I have:

A small first aid kit
fire extingisher (ABC)
Blanket
Swiss army knife
gloves, hat and socks
poncho
flash light with extra batteries
emergency tire inflator (can)
spare tire and all associated equipment
2 20’ lengths of ratchet-type tie downs with a 1500 lbs limit
2 Bottles of water
6 power bars
matches
gas can (empty)
oil and anti-freeze etc
tool box

right now I also have a sleeping back back there but that’s not usually in my car.

I carry most of it in a small box so it is portable (except for the took kit, too heavy).

I once had a backpack with all the above and more in it. EVERYTHING I’d ever need under any situation ever, or as close as I could get and still carry it.
Last I saw it, I had set it down on the side of the road after taking something out of it. Couldn’t set it down IN THE CAR, oh no, not ME… ::::Grumble::::

I used to carry one in my car, the contents consisted of:

A little money - only a few dollars, enough for a few phone calls and something to eat if I was stuck through a meal time.

Some toilet paper

Water

Cigarettes

Matches

Car stuff, like oil, brake fluid, a funnel, a rag, and a bolt needed for changing a tyre.

Road maps

A change of clothes

A warm jacket

and a spare set of sunglasses.

I used to carry one in my car, the contents consisted of:

A little money - only a few dollars, enough for a few phone calls and something to eat if I was stuck through a meal time.

Some toilet paper

Water

Cigarettes

Matches

Car stuff, like oil, brake fluid, a funnel, a rag, and a bolt needed for changing a tyre.

Road maps

A change of clothes

A warm jacket

and a spare set of sunglasses.