I recently readthis article on emotional infidelity. It concerns a book by M. Gary Neuman, a marriage counselor who opines that any cross-gender friendship a married person has is inherently risky. Among other things, he recommends ten things a married person should avoid at work:
[QUOTE=M. Gary Neuman]
10 Rules for Avoiding Emotional Infidelity
-
Keep it all business in the office.
-
Avoid meetings with members of the opposite sex outside the workplace.
-
Meet in groups.
-
Find polite ways of ending personal conversations.
-
Take particular care not to have regular (perhaps daily or even weekly)
conversations about your life outside work. -
Don’t share your personal feelings.
-
Be unflinchingly honest with yourself.
-
Avoid cordial kisses and hugs, or dancing with members of the opposite
sex. -
Don’t drink around the opposite sex.
-
Show your commitment to your spouse daily.
[/QUOTE]
I’m a bit ambivalent here. On the one hand, I have any any number of friendships with women at work that weren’t even a bit sexual; hell, even my friend who called me her work husband meant nothing by it. On the other hand, in my twenties I often cultivated friendships with unhappily married women because I knew I could get them into bed.
So I ask you, Dopers: have you ever been involved in emotional infidelity–as the cheater, as the cheated on, or as the cheated with? Where do you draw the lines? And what about gays & lesbians–should they avoid friendships with persons of their own gender at work?
Apropos of nothing, this is the second time I’ve tried starting this thread. My first attempt was in the of a Petrachan sonnet. Gorram hamsters.