Energy conversion, please check my math

I just want to compare the heat output of a 1500 W electric space heater and a 12,000 BTU KeroHeater.

Using kilowatts * 3414 = BTU
I get 1.5 * 3414 = 5121 BTU(s)

So the electric space heater puts out less then half then the Kero one. But when I googled btu and watts there seems to be a lot mentioned about Specific Heat and mass.

Just want to be sure that the above is correct.

Thanks.

Looks fine to me.

The only problem is that the BTU is a unit of energy, while the watt is a unit of power. Energy is power multiplied by time. Your result of 5121 is in BTU/hr.

Forgot to add that air conditioners and heaters are rated in BTU/hr, so your result is correct. Just the units were incorrect.

Google calculator agrees, or pretty close to it anyway.

Which is a reason it irks me to see furnaces, stoves, cookers, gas grills, and heaters advertised simply as “50,000 Btu!”, “100,000 Btu!” and so forth. And if you try to explain to the salesman why the advert is misleading, he smiles and acts like he’s going to pat you on the head and send you on your way. :rolleyes:

Yep my calculator agrees too:
http://www.1728.com/convenrg.htm
Notice too that there are 6 different kinds of BTU definitions. Maybe more for all I know.
Isn’t it high time that the Metric System (or System Internationale) becomes the standard ? Aren’t we all tired of converting furlongs to nautical miles, etc ?

I have a similar pet peeve when it comes to car stereo amps when they list “RMS Power.” Problem is, no one mathematically computes the RMS of a power signal. It would be meaningless to do so…