Engagers in American Political Juvenalian Satire

I’m looking into the tradition of American political Juvenalian Satire as part of a larger project I’m doing. I’m right now interested in those who have engaged in the through stand-up comedy, journalistic endeavors, and books (not through political comics in the tradition of Thomas Nast).

Fellow Dopers, who are some figures who famously engaged in this type of satire?

Here are the names I have so far:
Benjamin Franklin
David Ross Locke (Petroleum V. Nasby)
Charles Farrar Browne (Artemus Ward)
Bill Nye
Seba Smith
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)
Ambrose Bierce
Will Rogers
Mort Sahl
Lenny Bruce
Dick Gregory
Tom Lehrer
Smothers Brothers
Hunter S. Thompson
George Carlin
Bill Maher
Bill Hicks
Lewis Black
Richard Belzer
Al Franken
Dennis Miller
P.J. O’Rourke
Jon Stewart
Stephen Colbert

ps H.L. Mencken

Wikipedia offers these examples, among others: Ray Bradbury, Stanley Kubrick, Anthony Burgess, Joseph Heller, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert

I’m afraid you misunderstood the OP; Wikipedia offers those as examples of Juvenalian satire. I’m asking about American political Juvenalian satire specifically. Catch-22 isn’t in the political genre, and Burgess isn’t American.

But while we’re at it, let me clarify: Technically, you can classify distopian science-fiction novels like Fahrenheit 451 as political satire, but I’m thinking more in terms of satirical humor, e.g. The Daily Show.

Oh, but it is. See Milo Minderbinder for the quintessential American pol. Or see the section on Major Major Major Major for a lesson in McCarthyism. Or Korn and Dreedle. It’s set in wartime Italy, but it’s about peacetime America.

Besides, it’s not all that Heller wrote. Read GOOD AS GOLD–pure political satire.

I haven’t read Catch-22, but was under the wrong impression that it wasn’t political satire. I stand corrected.

You might also want to hold your nose and include Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore.

Don Marquis

Mike Royko

Somehow forgot about Chris Rock and Finley Peter Dunne.

Calvin Trillin?

I suspect that you will find that political satire has always been with us; just that it has a short shelf life. As a result, the legacy of those practitioners has not endured.

I still remember and occasional use the quote from the National Lampoon news pages, from about 1976:
Sen. Kennedy: “I will not seek the nomination for president.”
Reporter: “But what if you are drafted by the convention?”
Sen. Kennedy: “I’ll drive off that bridge when I come to it.”

Mark Russell