England, my England

Later on I might write this in English.

What, when you’ve slept off a few units?

CHINESE Whispers??!!!??!!!1!!!1one!!eleven!!???!!eleventy-one!!11!!?

Dude, you are SO gonna get it now.

*Disclaimer: the above is intended in jest. It is a joke. If you needed to read this disclaimer to understand that I made a joke, plase understand that it is not intended to be a whoosh. Please don’t tell DrDeth on me.

Yup … I’m not a great football fan, myself (and I don’t like the way it sprawls all over the TV schedules, to the detriment of stuff I do want to watch), but credit where credit is due; it’s the publicity campaigns for the England football team over the past few years that have gone a long way to reclaiming this national symbol from the racists and neo-fascists …

Last week a co-worker told me that the gas chambers at Auschwitz had been built by the Russians years after the end of World War II, and that anybody caught talking about it in the United States or Canada would be deported.

Naturally, I immediately posted it everywhere as if it were true. After all, somebody told me it was.

(This actually happened, for what it’s worth.)

Someone actually told you that, or you actually believe that that’s what happened?

:smiley:

I don’t suppose they left an operator’s manual when they did this? There’s a flag in my location that could use this treatment.

Obviously, because somebody told me, I have no choice but to believe it. Right? :wink:

This part of the universal “bloke said” rule. This rule is even more powerful than “they say”. In fact, only one thing tops “bloke said”, and that’s the subset “bloke down pub said”. The OP is already mostly covered by “bloke said”, but since the conversation described took place in a pub, I’m afraid it must be taken as unarguable.

Football, aka soccer. I think it was the 1994 European Cup that there was a huge marketing campaign, using the St George’s Cross as the basis of all merchandise and marketing. It worked really rather well.

It was Euro 96, and you’re right. The match against Scotland at Wembley helped, because that’s when fans really started drowning the stadium in flags.

So are these two things connected? Did American white supremacists borrow the St. George flag from the BNP folks, or use something similar?

Whoa! There is, in my mind at least, a distinct difference between bringing an Urban Legend to the attention of Assembled Doperdom for review and if appropriate debunking, and the credulous perasseveration of patent glurge.

Chowder was told something that sounded weird. He inquired about it in IMHO; things got a little nasty, and Czarcasm empittified it.

Don’t repeat that story too often, though. Paul Verhoeven will buy the rights to The Raoul Wallenburg Story and use that for the plot. :rolleyes:

No, I’m pretty sure he’s describing the Confederate Navy Jack, sometimes called the “Confederate Flag”.

Many southerners maintain that its use has no racist intent but instead symbolizes the South - a point tough to argue with given that it was flown on Confederate battle ships for two whole years, and thus is obviously the logical choice of a symbol for the South. But it has been used for quite a long time by racist groups.

Actually, there is an Aryan Nations flag, but it doesn’t look anything like the St. George’s Cross. Anyone confusing the two is just as likely to mistake anything for an Aryan Nation’s flag, like mailboxes, or small dogs.

I found that burnt onto a tortilla once. The other side had St. Englebert of Cologne.

Una and Angua (neither of whom are ‘he’) were talking about the English flag, not the Confederate Jack.

As Miller said, the former doesn’t look like the only Aryan Nation flag I can find. I did find a KKK flag that’s a white cross on a red circle on a red field, which I suppose could be what Una’s associates are confusing it with. Or they could just think ‘large fields of white? Must be racist!’

I was talking about Slithy Tove’s reference to the Confederate flag. It seems that I got confused and misinterpreted dangermom’s post as responding to that. So yeah, you might wanna ignore my post - it appears that it made no sense whatsoever. :slight_smile:

Well, in all fairness, it does have a red cross, is an explicitly Christian symbol, and was used in the Crusades (or a varient was used, anyway).

But I agree that what the OP is describing sounds like rubbish. No offence, but I know lots of patriotic Muslims, and even the most vitriolic extremists aren’t stupid enough to mistake a St. George’s flag for a sign saying “Death to Moslem Pigs”. So many of these “PC madness” stories are concealed left-, black-, brown- or queer-bashing that I simply ignore them these days.