Entirely Benign, Appropriate Things That Make You Seethe

Yes, that is irritating, but what annoys me most is the one person in line who’s ordering subs for 4 or 5 other people. They are usually armed with a written list of what Marge in Accounting and Joe in Marketing want on their subs. (Obviously, Marge and Joe were just too busy to come in and order themselves.) IMHO anything over two subs is a large order and should have been phoned in ahead of time for pickup, not ordered when the waiting line extends out the front door and onto the sidewalk.

People who spend their free time sleeping

I’m not talking about people who need to “catch-up” on sleep after a rough night, I’m talking people who sleep 7-8 hours a night, then after work take a 4 hour nap, then are awake for 4 more hours then go back to sleep for 7-8 more hours.

Or people who I know who are so used to sleeping 12 hours a day that when they get less than 12 hours of sleep that they wake up incredibly irritated like they just had only 2 hours of sleep. I believe doctors say you should never sleep more than 10 hours a day regularly because your body adapts to it in a negative way.

We are old and retired. It is more than appropriate for old retired folks to enjoy napping, we worked hard to be allowed our sloth.

A neighbor behind us got into an argument with his partner and it must have been a doozy. I can’t hear their voices, but she rage vacuums and he rage mows their weed lot. Today she vacuumed the place completely several times (which I can hear because they are renting a 30 year old single wide with crappy insulation) then went to town and got a carpet steamer and he mowed their weed lot twice and then followed up with the weed-eater.

Cleaning one’s home is totally benign and knocking dry weeds to the dirt during fire season is very appropriate, but holy cow, I was sick of it after an hour. It was even more rage inducing because it was under 90F and I wanted to enjoy sitting on our deck and watching the butterflies.

There is a tiny sticker on most, scan that and the fruit will come up then you weigh.

Oh yeah? The big deal about the new very long iPhone ad is that… it is purple!!! :astonished:

:roll_eyes:

Good!

My one and only bad Subway experience: When asked what I wanted on it I said “everything but peppers. No peppers of any kind.” You’d think that was simple enough, but she had to ask “What do you have against peppers?” None of your business, bitch.

Yeah, that was rude. If she had asked about allergies it would have been totally understandable. Did she try to sprinkle your sandwich with ground black pepper?

IDK, I took that as a friendly joke.

People who only take showers for sex reasons

I’ve lived enough of my life with roommates at various points to know of the “sex showers”. I’ve had roommates who literally wouldn’t shower for DAYS and go to work/class all greasy looking, but someone was coming over for sex and suddenly they’re Mr/Mrs Shower. Taking loud showers are 2am while someone was going to come over at 6am. They’re bad because they’re completely unpredictable, you tell someone you need to take a shower everyday at 8am exactly because you work in an hour, they say fine then you wake up once a week to find them taking the sex showers at 8am and tbe sex shower lasts 30 minutes.

I was the asshole yesterday. I was bringing a five-gallon jug of used motor oil to the auto parts store for disposal. It was in my trunk, secured at the rear of the trunk with a “cargo net” of limited strength. I didn’t mind hammering the accelerator on the straights, but I felt compelled to brake gently and move slowly through the turns, lest the net be overwhelmed and unleash a spill that would make BP proud. It was indeed benign and appropriate, and would have made you seethe.

“Here are your pap smear results, sir.”

You must run into my wife a lot.

If there is a mixed-greens salad on the menu, she asks the waitperson to list all the greens in it. If there are onions, she wants to know what kind. She will try to do a “compare and contrast” with the waitperson when she can’t make up her mind between two entrees.

I have two ways to handle these situations. First, I remind her that she will eat again in about 8 hours…this is not a last meal. Second, I encourage her to order more than one salad, entree, or dessert. Can’t make up your mind? Order both soups. Get both fish and steak. Order every dessert they have. Eat what you like. It might be terrible wasteful, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to allow her to bring the Spanish Inquisition to my favorite eating spot. (ITRW, she makes a quicker decision and orders just one item.)

That is very sweet of you.

A very benign thing that really does make me seethe:

For some reason, people who are stopping by for a few minutes will park their car right in front of the driveway of a house–not in the driveway, they park on the street blocking the front of the driveway.

This bothers me even when I see random people doing it at someone else’s house.

When my wife was teaching piano I remember one of the moms who would park her car like this while her child was having a lesson. One day I came home from the gym and was almost committed to my left turn into the driveway when I saw the lady’s car blocking the entrance. I had to make a special effort to not be rude to the woman since she had quite innocently found a pet peeve of mine. I did let her know I couldn’t get into my driveway, so she moved her car.

I do volunteer work, tree care for young street trees, which requires me to drive around and park in neighborhoods with which I would otherwise not be familiar. Since this is San Francisco, parking is at a premium, and the tools are a little heavy so I try to park as close as possible to the target tree. As a last resort, I will park in the driveway of the house where the tree is, or if their driveway is full, sometimes there is room to park across the driveway. Imagine my irritation when the homeowner is apparently parked across their own empty driveway, thus depriving me of two possible places to put my car.

This drives me nutty. My husband likes to nap. It shouldn’t bother me because it doesn’t involve me but boy do I have to bite my tongue when I come in the house on a beautiful summer afternoon and he’s in his recliner napping and it’s never just a catnap. He’s snoring away for hours. My jaw automatically clenches when I see him doing this. I can’t fathom even sitting in the house on a beautiful day. I’m outside as much as possible - reading, eating my meals, puttering with the flowers, doing a crossword puzzle - anything that I can do outside. We’re cooped up practically 9 months out of the year due to the cold weather so I enjoy being outside in the summer - I need to be outside.

Neither benign nor appropriate.

Wow, that would be a ejected room-mate.

Whoa! This sounds awful!

We bought our house because the back yard is so nice. We try to enjoy it as much as we can.

Unfortunately, so does our neighbor- he likes to sit out on his back porch and smoke. And when the wind’s right, the smoke blows straight onto our deck.

I mean, it’s his back yard, and I’m sure his wife (who doesn’t smoke) wants him to only smoke outside… but it still impinges on my enjoyment of my back yard.

Get a box fan?

Yes, one next-door house now includes a young man who likes to smoke pot. Totally legal, even if he doesn’t need it for anything except recreation. Of course, they won’t let him smoke in the house or on the back deck, so he sits in front of their garage to smoke. The smoke travels about 40 feet to our garage, goes through the vents in the garage door, and then stays there in the garage for hours. I go out to do laundry or take out the garbage, and wham. I really don’t like that smell.