Entirely Benign, Appropriate Things That Make You Seethe

My apartment building has street parking for visitors (no time limits except for street sweeping day, but it is often hard to find a spot close to the building) and a couple of unofficial spots right next to the building (marked No Parking, but vehicles parked snug against the building leave room for people to drive in and out, so people park there) in the back, where the garages are. Workmen will will often park in the back, and invariably end up blocking garage doors.

This is not what makes me seethe (though it does make me a bit grumpy). What makes me seethe is that no one thinks to put a note on their vehicle with the location (apartment number) or even a phone number so that the owner of the garage can contact them to get in or out! Nothing beats walking into my garage with an appointment to get to, hitting the door opener, and seeing a truck blocking my way, with no clue as to how to find the workman and get them to take a couple of minutes moving their vehicle out of my way (and then they can park it in the same place for all I care).

I guess they expect that everyone in the building is a recluse and never drives anywhere, or will enjoy spending time going to every apartment, knocking on doors until they find the workman.

Not sure if this quite fits the topic, but. I’m a regular blood donor, and the donation place has been calling me several times a week now while I’m at work (usually in court, for that matter) to try to get me to donate again. I intend to, but scheduling is a nightmare. I feel guilty for putting my own top priorities–work, family, staying sane–ahead of saving strangers’ lives, but, like, why? I’m just so annoyed by the constant calls. I know there’s a shortage. Here’s an idea-- you guys could put in a little more effort toward making it marginally easier for me! Like, say, increased hours? I took an extra week of vacation just to do all the things on my list, including that, but I also need to coordinate some other appointments that are hard to get. Ugh, how dare they keep reminding me of their legitimate needs when I’m busy?

In the time of COVID if I can I prefer to use an elevator all by myself but when things are busy I fully understand sharing an elevator with someone else.

I don’t understand when there’s already 3 people in the elevator wearing masks, and right when the door closes someone else pops into view and a real superhero inside the elevator puts his hand out to stop the doors closing and now we have 4 people in a tight confined space. I remember being in an elevator where the only other guy inside with me kept waving people in until we had 7 people in the COVIDvator.

Red Cross used to call me all the time too whenever it got to be more than 8 weeks since my last donation. I finally asked them to stop calling me, and told them I would schedule my own appointment when I was ready. They obliged.

Next time they call, I recommend you ask them to stop calling you.

I tried this and they said as a non-profit they didn’t have to honor to my request and in fact they had no mechanism for doing so. This was in the same circumstances being described. After donating just a blizzard of calls for months. First asking for money, then for me to donate again. My doctor advised me not to donate (I felt really weak for many days, something that had never happened before) so it was doubly annoying.

This isn’t actually a thing a person does, but I suppose this thread is probably the best place for this.

I’ve been having to go into the office more lately. And I noticed that the clock hadn’t been set on the clock on the microwave in one of the break rooms. And I’m that guy who compulsively must set the clocks on all the microwaves. So I pressed the “clock” button on the keypad in an attempt to set it, but nothing happened. I don’t know if I did something wrong or if that buttons just broken, but the button labeled “clock” doesn’t appear to do anything, and there’s no other obvious button that looks related to setting the clock. So I am unable to set the clock on that microwave, and every time I go in there it annoys me that the clock is just showing 0:00.

Maybe I’m excessively cautious but I wouldn’t use any microwave where the controls are ALL working as designed.

Maybe punch in the time first, then press “Clock”?

No, this microwave has those “quick start” buttons, where it you just hit say “2” without pressing another button first the microwave starts cooking for 2 minutes.

Try a long press on the button.

Speaking of workplace microwaves, my life got a whole lot better when someone at the office figured out how to disable all beeps (after I’d tried and failed). I could hear them all from my desk. The timer entry wasn’t so bad but, frequently, the user would wander off or have to take a call or something. After the time is up, the thing beeps every 30 seconds, so annoying.

And then there are the ‘people’ that leave 0:00:04s on the timer.

They don’t call it "skunkweed’ for nothing.

This reminds me. We donate to a lot of charities and always enclose a note that if you solicit me again this year, you will be permanently removed from the list of charities we donate. Not only does it annoy us, but it shows you are spending too much on soliciting.

It seems to work. Maybe your blood donor place needs to get such a note. If they cannot comply, then cross them off.

I wish more people would.

My store doesn’t allow you to self check out with more than 15 items, so when I do my weekly grocery shopping, I have to go through a regular lane.

It would be nice if those people with one or two items would go over to the self check out lane and not be in front of me.

I live on a somewhat narrow road. There’s not really room for two cars to pass if there is a car parked there.

Sometimes, when I am coming home, a car is approaching, and it will helpfully pull off to the side to let me pass. Problem is, I don’t want to go further down the road, I want to pull into my driveway, which they are now blocking.

Agreed. There absolutely is a convenience and speed factor.

But the main purpose of the self-checkout lane is to eliminate a job.

I’ve stopped (quite recently) for that reason (among others).

I’ve done it, to be honest, it’s a pretty crappy job.

Any form of technological improvement eliminates jobs. Just think of how many chambermaids are put out of work by indoor plumbing.

How we deal with the displaced workers is of far more import than trying to cling to inefficient systems to try to keep them employed.

Oh, I agree, absolutely (and I’ve done the job too, but not for decades).

But right now, we don’t seem to be dealing with the displaced workers at all, in any way.

Moderator Note

This is off-topic and a bit inappropriate. This is the SDMB, not Penthouse Forums. Please stay on-topic.

I think this is something most people run into in parking lots and crosswalks. I do too but I also run into it at work where I am a forklift driver in a warehouse full of pedestrians. You are rolling along, a pedestrian walks into your path, you or they may have the right of way, (OK, when you are a forklift driver the pedestrian always has the right of way) and the ped. breaks into a simulated “run” where they mimic the motions of running but actually move at exactly the same speed as they were originally walking. It never used to bother me but recently it started to annoy the hell out of me.

Regarding self checkout and displaced jobs:

Does anyone have a ballpark figure on how many people are employed in the creation and installation of self checkout technology? How does that compare to the number of people unemployed in the stores that have them?