ER: Dr. Mark just died, and I'm crying like a baby.

It was a good episode, one thing I didn’t like though…

Can’t Mark’s Daughter postpone her “teenage angst” for until he was dead. It was not like he beat her as a child, why was she punishing him like this? I mean He has always tried everything before and after he knew he was dying to get close to her and let her have as much time and fun with him as possible.

However, when he finds out he is going to die and trys to spend his DYING monments with his family having fun at the beach before it happens. She acted like a spoiled brat who had just found out that her can’t have the car for the weekend.

He did nothing except smile at her the whole time when he was DYING, but all she did was scream at him (for no apprent reason) and heavly played a “woe is me, the world is against me” act to hurt her father as much as possible in his DYING monments.

What did he do to her? Did he torture her as a child? Didn’t he take her in to his house when she ran away from her mother so that he could be closer to her? Didn’t he FORGIVE and then DEFEND her for recklesly endangering his baby? He has did EVERYTHING for her, but she spent her whole time talking to a boy she liked, then yelling and ignoring Mark up to his last DYING monments.

What did he do to her to deserve this “twisting of the knife in his back”?!! At the end that ungrateful little witch finaly could afford to spend her perious time with him in his last waking seconds by sitting with him.

Well crap - I’m tearing up just reading this thread.

I’d like to chime in and say that I was a little bit disappointed that Doug and Carol didn’t show up. They were more than co-workers to Dr. Greene. Doug was Mark’s best friend. Mark was with Carol when she had the twins. I thought it would have been nice to see them show up for the funeral.

Doug and Carol should have made it out. As everyone has said, it’s not as if he got hit by a bus. They could have bought the tickets months ago!

When my aunt died earlier this year, my cousin - who is about Rachel’s age - pretty much acted the same way toward her dying mom that Rachel did toward Mark. Somewhat aloof, somewhat cold - or so my mom and (other) aunt tell me. Maybe it’s a teen thing, or maybe it’s a teen daughter thing, but Rachel’s actions really weren’t that far-fetched, IMHO. In fact I was pretty impressed that the writers didn’t turn it into a sugary-sweet schmaltz-fest, that ended with Mark “fixing” her before he died.
People ain’t perfect, life ain’t pretty, and Lord knows teen girls can be hellions (despite what most of them think:)).

The balloon scene made me gag a little, though. I mean, c’mon…:rolleyes:
stv

I always say that funerals are for the living, not for the dead. I’m sure Carol and Doug said goodbye to Mark in their own fashion. It never seemed to me that Doug was one for traditional funerals, anyway…remember that ep where he and Mark traveled to the Grand Canyon(or some canyon) to take Doug’s fathers ashes there?

Rachel’s behavior was hard to watch, but it was accurate. At that age, it just isn’t possible for a girl to think through their emotions and realize that at some point in the future she’ll regret the way she’s acting. No one this side of a mental ward is farther away from logic than a 14-year-old girl. Luckily, most recover.

I’d also have liked to just see the faces of Doug and Carol at the funeral. It’s too bad when the industry gets in the way of the story it’s telling.

Didn’t think I would cry, I thought it was cheesy to have the death episode after the episode when we found out he died (btw, I loved last week when Carter gave Gallant almost the exact same speech that Mark had given to him), and yet there I was…

I was also hoping, when they scanned the funeral and I saw Eriq and Michael, that they’d get George and Julianna back too (I also bawled when she jumped on the airplane and flew out to him, among the most romantic TV moments ever) sadly, no. That would have made the episode perfect.

But it got to me.

The balloon should have been green.

::sniff::
I cried, too. It was a little cheesy, but damn if it didn’t get to me.
I loved little Ella. She is just too cute.
I liked when Elizabeth was telling Mark he needed to be in the hospital and needed an MRI, and he just kept telling her how beautiful it was there. He knew how he wanted to die, in a wonderful place, with his family by his side.
He knew if he let himself go to the hosiptal what his final days would be like, and he wanted no part of that.

Hey, give a gal a break-I’ve been at work this morning, and I was only able to get online an hour ago.

And yes, Noah Wyle is very hot. Sizzling hot. Carter’s chief resident…swoon

Oh, and Luka’s hot too.

drooling

And yes, it sucks that Mark died. That’s why I only watch the reruns anymore. I don’t want to see everyone leave.

:frowning:

Exactly. I used to watch it, then I stopped too, because I couldn’t take the emotional exhaustion that I got from watching the show. (Just for the record, I cry at telephone commercials - this show would have completely wrecked me for days.)

This was a great episode. His situation was so real and so heartbreaking.

How do you die when you know your daughter needs you? What do you tell her? What do you reveal about yourself?

What advice do you give her? “Be generous.”

I cried.

Are you sure. This can’t be a cultural thing in this country? I can’t imagne an Eritrean girl acting like what Rachel did. It was very shocking :eek: and I could barely stand watching it.

The specific acting out is probably cultural. American children are notoriously spoiled compared to most of the rest of the world (and Rachel more than most). But the part about “nothing outside a mental ward further from logic than a 14-year-old” (boy or girl) is probably quite universal.

jayjay

Well, I don’t want this post to get taken the wrong way, but I am actually pleased to hear that Dr. Greene died.
I quit watching the show in 1996 after my husband was diagnosed with a brain tumor. My life was WAY too full of real life medical drama to watch it on TV - as good as ER was. And I have never been able to watch it since. My husband died in 1999.
I was aware that ER had “given” Mark a brain tumor and I was a little miffed. I thought they were going to provide him with some sort of “miracle cure” and I know what a lie that is. As I have not seen any of the episodes I can only hope they treated it honestly. And the honest truth is people die of brain tumors. And it is very painful to watch.

KinSaba, words fail. But I cannot say what I wanted to about the episode of “ER” without saying something about your post. My grandmother died of two brain tumors that did some battle for space inside her sweet head. I can say that, having only watched last night’s but not the preceeding ones, that it was handled with grace and dignity. I resented the theft of her mind before her body went. I’m so terribly sorry that you lost your husband as such.

Cartooniverse

The moment that defined Mark’s last deep grasp of his life was when the baby woke up crying, after the doorslam from his daughter, and he stood there. For a moment, his face was as we’ve seen it a hundred, hundreds of times before. Still, yet taut with irritation. Then he says, " I’ll get her".

I loved that line, that is the line of every parents’ tired irritated yet loving childcaring. To me, it was his last sharp moment as Mark the tired Dad, and beyond that…he was transitioning.

Oh boy, did I cry…and cry…and cry.

Here I am, 20 years later, watching E.R for the first time. I don’t know if anyone who wrote here is still active, but I’m writing anyway. I just googled did anyone else cry when mark greene died, and this is the first result that came up. I’ve NEVER cried before for tv, or ANYTHING fictional. And yet when Mark died, I couldn’t help it. I was a total mess for the last 10 minutes. I’ve barely cleaned up to write this. Such a powerful scene. I guess Mark’s death hit so hard because he was so ‘nice’. He was probably the nicest character in the series. I don’t know why they had to kill him though, could have written him out like Doug or Peter.

the sad thing was wasnt the mass shooting ep like a month before this? i mean they killed off half the cast prior to this… but by this time it was proto grays anatomy and not the primarily medical-based show anymore… (in fact it was only a season or two until the Jump the shark helicopter ep)