Essential Playstation 3 Games?

Second the recommendation. They sell both games together in a single collection now, so as a “late adopter” you can get them for a terrific bargain.

The collection also includes inFamous: Festival of Blood (also available on PSN as a standalone game), which uses the same engine and setting as inFamous 2 but is set in an alternate timeline (involving vampires). It’s pretty short compared to the main games, though.

I’m afraid that advice doesn’t make sense. The reason the PC port was blasted was because it didn’t improve on the console versions. So it isn’t “much better” on the PS3/360, it’s exactly the same. And given that a trivial amount of work will make the PC version blow the consoles out of the water in terms of graphics and performance, you’d be a fool to pick up the console version if you have a decent PC.

I’m going to recommend Red Dead Redemption.

I will be fair and say that the PC version is even more phenomenally borked in the PVP department than the console versions due to how easy it is to hack the game.

Essential exclusives:

• Red Dead Redemption
  • Little Big Planet
  • Metal Gear Solid 4 (If you’ve never played a MGS game before, also get the HD Collection of MGS 2 and MGS 3.)
  • Demon’s Souls
  • Journey
  • God of War 3
  • Infamous 1 & 2
  • Uncharted 2 & 3
  • Heavy Rain

Red Dead Redemption is not an exclusive, FYI. The Resistance games aren’t bad, if you like FPSs on a console. Ratchet & Clank games are good, A Crack in Time is excellent. The ICO and Shadow of Collossus Collection is tremendous.

Curiousity check; Why is everyone so taken with this game? I played LBP briefly, and it felt like an extremely generic platformer with absolutely nothing to distinguish itself, and, frankly, kinda muddy controls.

I get that it has a some really cool level design tools, but so what? Why do I want to play someone’s loving recreation of a random Mega Man level in LBP when I could instead play a Mega Man game or something?

What’d I miss in my brief play time?

LBP is one of my favorite games of this generation, so I’ll field this one…

The game itself is charming as hell. From the narration by Stephen Fry, from the art direction, to the music - it’s just an engaging platformer. The levels themselves are pretty easy - until you start to try to ace them, collect all the goodies, etc. Acing the Wheel of Doom is one of my proudest gaming moments - that was HARD!

As for the “muddy controls”, I hear that a lot. Yeah - it was a little floaty. But the controls aren’t imprecise. In LBP2 you can adjust the game’s gravity in level creation mode. If you crank it up a bit, you’ll see that under higher gravity, things seem to tighten up a bit. I don’t see it as a flaw - not every platformer needs to feel just like Mario. There are plenty of precise jumps that need to be made in the game that are just fine to make. Add in the other mechanics (being able to grab various materials, especially in mid-air), and it’s quite a bit deeper gameplay.

As for the shared level community, there are some pretty amazing levels out there that are totally unique. There’s a ton of shit as well - but there’s no need to delve into it if you don’t want. The circuitry that was added to the second game makes pretty much anything possible - I’ve seen entire recreations of Zelda levels, fascinating minigames, and great coop levels. All added content that’s user-created.

I have a feeling the biggest obstacle you face is that you’ve played it just briefly. As the difficulty ramps up, you’ll get a feel for the finer aspects of the gameplay.

It’s a fun game to look at, it’s got great music to listen to, and the customization options for your avatar are really cute.

But mainly it’s accessible and it has a four-player mode. It’s not going to hold the attention of four hardcore gamers, but it’s great for creating an opportunity to play cooperatively with some of your non-gamer friends.

Legit, thanks. Probably won’t go out of my way to pick it up now that I have a PS3, but good to understand.

If you have a PS+ account, LBP2 is free (for the duration of your subscription) right now. (Gameplay, shared levels and other features are better on LBP2, but the story levels are far better in LBP1.)

I do, but probably not for much longer (sub has been cancelled, forget exactly when it runs out) and the PS3 is mostly being used as a Ni No Kuni delivery system right now.