Ethical to screen out Trump supporters applying for a job?

I guess there’s always Argentina.

Y’know, I would not take it out on some mid/lower level civil servant staff for having worked during part of the Trump administration. On that front I would seek to make a distinction based on what was it they were responsible for and when/how/why it started and ended.

Same here.

Yeah, I know a few “faceless bureaucrats” in various areas of the federal government, who are emphatically not Trump supporters, who still kept and did their jobs during the Trump administration, even if their nominal (acting) department heads were Trumpista appointees. I am heartily glad and grateful that they continued to conscientiously serve their country by doing their jobs, rather than just walking away and letting the clusterfuck spread unchecked even further.

AFAIK, none of them was ever requested to carry out any specifically illegal or unethical act at the behest of a Trump appointee, and I haven’t asked what they would have done if they had been.

So yeah, I think it would be entirely unrealistic to attempt a sweeping claim that “federal civil servant during Trump administration” = “Trump supporter”. As GreenWyvern’s linked article notes, the situation for Trump’s own appointees or hires, especially in national security, is something of a special case, particularly if they did in fact support Trump:

********* ERROR! *********** ERROR! ****************
Does Not Compute!

Nah, it can be true. A friend of friend runs an extremely successful family business, and runs it well enough to compete against national chains. This person supports the arts, helps any charity he believes in, and has pitched in with volunteer work just for fun.

My friend is slightly aghast that this person supports Trump. My friend thinks it’s motivated by Trump’s (or Kushner’s) support of Israel, and pro-business rhetoric.

The way Trump and the republicans warp reality make it much easier to be a good person who supports putting kids in cages. You simply don’t believe that kids are being put in cages, or that crimes are being committed, or that Trump said the thing he said on camera yesterday. As far as you’re concerned these things simply aren’t happening. This clears the way for you to support him for the things you like about him (which in actual fact probably really aren’t happening).

As far as I know, the rioters didn’t hurt anybody. 3000 people were killed on 9/11.

A Capitol Police officer was killed by somebody throwing a fire extinguisher at his head; does that count as “hurt”?

A woman was crushed to death in the mob (probably by her own side, but still …).

That’s not counting the woman shot to death, the two medical fatalities, and at least fifteen other cops hospitalized with various injuries.

I work in an immigration law practice. Hiring someone who openly supported Trump would be…problematic.

A law or two? Check this out:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-protecting-american-monuments-memorials-statues-combating-recent-criminal-violence/

It is the policy of the United States to prosecute to the fullest extent permitted under Federal law, and as appropriate, any person or any entity that destroys, damages, vandalizes, or desecrates a monument, memorial, or statue within the United States or otherwise vandalizes government property. The desire of the Congress to protect Federal property is clearly reflected in section 1361 of title 18, United States Code, which authorizes a penalty of up to 10 years’ imprisonment for the willful injury of Federal property.

Hiring someone who supports Trump, is like hiring someone who supports radical Islamic terrorism.

After recent events, any Chump supporter stupid enough to tell me that’s what he is when applying for a job would pretty much just get my boot up his ass.

You do know that while it’s technically a “public building”, it was closed to the public when the army of supporters that Trump mustered attacked it, right? It hadn’t been open to the public since March.

I just now saw this. Then I double-checked the date. I’m sorry to divert the subject, but five people died during the insurrection, including a police officer.

Maybe, to bring it back on subject, I expect the people that work for me to exercise discernment, and that includes discernment in the media they chose to consume. I expect them to be good at “knowing things”. I wouldn’t hire someone that consumes right-wing media, just like I wouldn’t hire someone than consumes heroin.

Yeah, though I’d probably couch it in wording about “we want a well-rounded candidate” when it comes to that bit.

BTW on the issue of those who were more closely related to the actual policymaking leadership, there is this post from mhendo that appeared in another thread:

THAT, to me, is a fair call for an individual outlet to make. And it does not preclude the potential employer saying “fine, I’ll take that chance, it’s my money.”

Have you read the Constitution? Because it doesn’t contain laws - it contains principles that are implemented through laws. And vandalism of a public building is certainly illegal, and unless the Supreme Court were to say such a law is unconstitutional, it is constitutional. It is not that case that if it isn’t in the Constitution itself, its legal.

The White House is a public building, but I double dog dare you to walk in to have dinner with the President this evening or show up uninvited to take a gander at the exceptional art (owned by the people of the United States) hanging on the walls. Argue with the Secret Service agents about it being a public building and it being your right to do so. For good measure, do so while exercising your Second Amendment right to carry.

Passing over the already-noted error of fact in your claim that “the rioters didn’t hurt anybody”, what point do you think you’re making with this comparison? Did you imagine that the posters here who would want to screen out a Trump supporter (or worse, a Trump insurrectionist) job applicant would be just peachy-dandy A-OK with hiring a supporter of the 9/11 terrorist attacks instead?

If so, you can quit worrying. Rest assured, if you are considering a job application from somebody who openly endorses radical-Islamist violent terror attacks on US soil (or any other kind of violent terror attacks anywhere, for that matter), everybody in this thread is completely fine with your refusing to hire that person.

As pointed out, many will hurt this week. The other difference is that 9/11 was caused by foreign enemies. This is unfortunate, but a fact of life. The world is a dangerous place. This insurrection however, was caused by American citizens and incited by the American President. Much more frightening, in my mind at least.

How isolated are you that you do not know about those that were killed or hurt in that coup attempt?

Actually, fairly isolated. Haven’t had tv since 2008, but we do have mobile cellular for internet, no cable or dsl available here. At the time of the post, did not know of any deaths except the woman shot by the police.