Ethnicities represented on the SDMB...

Lucky you…strawberry blonde hair, green eyes, and freckles don’t lend themselves very well to the wholel tanning thing :rolleyes:

Two-generations? I’m half NewSouthWelshperson and half Victorian.

And YES, they ARE totally different ethnicities. If you lived here, you’d understand.

Right TheLoadedDog? :smiley:

From my mother’s side (she was born in Enfield, North London), I could have 1/4 Jewish or 1/4 Irish (depending on who mum’s father really was), while the other side the 1/4 from Yorkshire/Lincolnshire. From my father’s side (born in Auckland, NZ), I have 1/4 Scot (from near Braemar), and 1/4 Anglo-Scots-Irish mix from Ayrshire, Northern Ireland and London. The last 1/4 could have some Spanish mixed in if family trad has it correct.

I’d better sum it up as Western European heritage, transplanted to the Antipodes. :slight_smile:

Father’s side: Scottish. My father was born just outside Glasgow and came here when my grandparents decided to move to Canada in the late 1950s.

Mother’s side: my grandparents are German Mennonites who were born and grew up in the Ukraine, came to Canada after WWII.

Basically, I’m yet another “really, really white” person (I think I can burn if I just think about the sun hard enough)

1/2 German American (my dad’s folks full were blooded German but he was born in the USA)

1/2 Thai (My mum met my dad in the late seventies after my mother divorced her first husband, who was an American pilot during the Vietnam war.)

It’s a bit of a strange mix. I think the German in me prevents me from being petite and short like my mum (I’m 5"8 and 145 pounds… damn you dad!!) but I am dark with black hair and brown eyes, and very olive skin which tans in an instant! Most people assume that I’m a mix but they have no idea what mix!

Well, I would have rub your nose in it and gone

[Nelson]
Ha-ha!
[/Nelson]

but I’m feeling all charitable, so I’ll desist.

pat pat Hope your motorbike feels better soon.

My parents were born in Haiti, and I was born a couple years after they arrived here. So I’m definitely riding the Haitian train out here… although thus far I seem to be riding it alone.

Mum and Dad are New Zealand born. Going back another generation:

1/4 Irish
3/16 Maori (I think, or maybe 3/32)
1/8 Swedish
1/8 Danish
1/8 Various unknown

My surname hails from Norway, so presumeably there’s some Norwegian happening in the background of the Swedish/Danish.

People tend not to believe that I have any Maori as I look 100% Scandenavian.

My ethnicity? Puertorican (so I’m a mix).

My ancestors? Come from Spain, Germany, Italy, Africa (sorry, don’t know the country), and perhaps Taínos (although that’s harder to trace back). But that was generations ago.

My dad’s paternal ancestors mainly came over from the Rhineland in the early 1700s and settled in Pennsylvania, which by default made them Pennsylvania Dutch. Other ancestors who came over later were from the Swabische Alb region of southern Germany, and others were from Bavaria. His mother’s ancestors were both Englishmen and the descendants of French Huguenots who settled in Maryland and Virginia in the 1600s.

My mom’s ancestry is 100% Irish, and her ancestors came from County Meath, County Waterford, and parts unknown. :slight_smile:

Paternal Grandparents from Poland(of Lithuanian and Belorussian ancestry), maternal grandparents from Finland…I myself am an American(mutt) who speaks only English.

Slight hijack, sorry, tsarina, there have always been family rumours that my paternal great-grandmother was (at least part)Jewish…I don’t know what her last name was, but her first was Pelagia, was this a common East European Jewish name for a girl?

My mom is 100% is Austrian, both parents of my father were German Czechs, they “emigrated” to Austria in 1945 (=“Sudetendeutsche”). But I live in France.

Can anybody tell me why the word German is supposed to be red in this thread?

1/2 English, 3/8 German and 1/8 Irish.

The first of the Germans on my Mom’s side got to Canada in 1810. Actually, his brother’s got here a few years before that. I’m seventh generation Canadian on her side. On my Dad’s side, I’m only second. His Dad came over as a “Home Child” (Barnardo’s) in 1894. I don’t know when his Mom got here, but they married in Canada.

Mr zoogirl is English, Scottish, French and Native - our boys could just about have their own World War III!

I’m not feeling charitable, so ha-ha! :slight_smile:

Your Kutchhi boss may not have heard of it, there’s a fair bit of difference between Kutchhi and Gujerati food.

:dubious: Nah, you’ve just never had proper Gujerati or Kutcchi food that’s all, you poor thing.

Too right we can!

prays that none of the BritDopers enter this thread and ask for proof of this assertion

One generation back: American (although my father was born in the US during a two-year sojurn by my grandparents).
Two generations back: 50% American (mom’s side), 50% Belarus (dad’s).
Take it three - 100% Eastern European.

100% Jewish. 100% Israeli.

But with blazing orange hair and hazel eyes - I’ve been taken for a native in Scotland (until I opened my mouth, that is :()

Did you searched for this thread using the word German? When you search for a word in a thread, it will always appear highlighted (in the thread) in red.

¡Oh! Esta es la linda
tierra que busco yo.
Es Borinquén la hija,
la hija del mar y el sol!

Puerto Rico is where my maternal grandparents met and where my mother was born. Though I’m definitly a Nueyorican. Not too many Boriquas on the board.

I’m half Mexican and half Italian–paternal great-grandparents are from a town called Castelvetrano, in the Trapani region of Sicily. One of my great grandfathers bought a shoe store smack in downtown San Francisco and saved money until he could send for my great grandmother. At some point he sold the shoe store, which bums me out to this day because it would be nice to have a prime piece of downtown SF real estate in the family :smiley:

Finn here (but born in Californ-i-yay). Mom is a Karjalainen too, Finnie, born near Viipuri in 1918. Dad’s family is from western Finland. Although he was born in the States, he had to learn English in order to go to school. With all these finnish-speaking folks around us, you’d think my sibs and I would have learned more than a few good swear words.