Ethnicities represented on the SDMB...

Father’s side: Czech (Bohemian & Moravian) as far back as the lineage has been traced. Dad’s parents were both born in the USA (Ohio), but at least two of my great-grandparents made the crossing from “the old country”.

Mother’s side: Mom’s father of German-speaking stock (Swiss as well as present-day Deutschland), but born in Maryland. Mom’s mother (Miriam) also from that state. Miriam’s father was of French extraction, while her mother was sent to America from Germany while an orphan child. My mother claims there’s also some English and Scots Irish (or perhaps English, Scottish, and Irish) ancestry somewhere up the line.

aghast
You…! You dare profane Gujju food…!!

May the wrath of hell be unleashed on you! May you always step in a puddle the day you buy new suede shoes! May your vehicle(s) require a huge amount of servicing tomorrow!

Don’t mess with Gujjus.

And in any case, have you ever eaten a well-made *undhiyu? Your eyes will water, your knees will wobble and you’ll become so virile[sup]1[/sup], you’ll be making little *Goudas by the dozen. So there!

[sup]1[/sup] Based on this

Err…Gujjus can’t code, but we can cook, dammit!

I’m Tlingit, one amongst several groups inhabiting Southeastern Alaska.

This is a fun one since I’m trying to pull together my family history.

My family has been in America for 250 to 300 years with the exception of the yet to be confirmed Native American. I am German, Dutch, French, English, Irish, Scottish, Swiss and depending on where the borders were as someone mentioned probably a few others. I’ve only found info going back 500 years and I’m missing a few branches so who knows what else is running through my genes.

I’m basically 1/2 Icelandic and 1/2 Finnish. To people of both of those groups, that qualifies as “interracial.” :smiley: To go more in depth…

On my Icelandic side (my father’s side), I’m 1/16 Danish, so that’s 1/8 of that side. On my Finnish side, I might have some Roma ancestry, as my mother’s maternal grandmother always explained her black hair by saying she was “part Gypsy.” We don’t know it it’s true or not, but it’s not implausible, given the amount of Roma in Finland.

Californian, by birth. Northern Californian.

Ethnicity…let’s see…

On my mother’s side, I’m both 3rd generation Irish and German American; and also of a family that’s been naturalized American since the Mayflower.

On my father’s side, I’m Scotch-Irish, back a few hundred years…but with a French family name, for some reason.Plus, one ancestor who’s family name translates as “Sea Wolf.” (Gee, I wonder what his kin did for a living.)

Oh…and another through another ancestor—a sea captain—I’m part Chinese. But that’s about 150+ years back.

And my great-grandmother might have been a German Jew. We’re not sure.

[hijack]

My brand new, 3 day old, one-of-only-six-in-the country-yet, most-expensive-thing-I’ve-ever-bought motorcycle needs servicing… some idiot banged into it, cracked the windscreen and made plenty of scratches on the fairing :frowning:

Also, I’ve never heard of undhiyu. I’ll ask my Kutchhi boss this evening
[/hijack]

More elaboration of me: another mongrel Indian. 50% Karnataka (from south India), 50% Punjabi (north India).

Punjabi food rocks. 'Nuff said :smiley:

Two generations back, I’m an American. I’m a third generation American on every side (all of my great-grandparents were born outside of the US, all of my grandparents were born inside the US…although to be fair, one of my great-grandmothers was born two weeks off the boat from Ireland…in Canada.)

My mom is 100% of Irish ancestry. My dad is 100% of Eastern European Jewish ancestry (Estonia and Latvia).

Black American with unknown portions of Native American ancestry. I have a great-great grandfather who was Irish-Scottish, but I’m 90% certain that I have more Euro blood than that flowing through my veins.

I admit being a little jealous of folks who know the exact fractions of their ancestry.

Maternal grandmother born in Spain. Paternal grandmother was half Blackfoot Indian half black. My paternal grandfather was black. I don’t know what my maternal grandfather’s heritage was.
All in all I’d say I am the quintessential American-- all mutt.

I’ve not heard about a single ancestor of mine who wasn’t from the middle of the midlands in England. I don’t think it could get more boring.

I’m complicated to explain. My (maternal) grandmother was adopted, and the records identifying her (birth) parents don’t exist.

Of the heritage that I do know about, I am part German (mainly Swiss), part French (Alsace-Lorraine in part), part English, part Irish (both “Green” and Northern), part Scottish, part Welsh, and part Luxembourgese.

No percentages, due to the above.

I am lebanese

Father’s side: Lots of Eastern Europe, tracable only by “Where did they chase the Jews to then?” Predominantly Prussian, I think.

Mother’s side: Three-quarters Irish. One quarter primarily Prussian, Italian, French-Canadian. Apparently, my great(repeat several times, not sure how many) grandfather on my mother’s father’s side (does that make any sense?) was indigenous - no idea of what tribe or anything, but that was something that I didn’t expect from a strongly Irish-catholic family.

100% “Hey, we have absolutely no money and live under an oppress government, so let’s go someplace else!”

About 35 percent German/Austrian, about 40 percent English, and the rest is from about everywhere else in Europe. Im also about 1/16 Jewish.

Dad’s folks, Irish Catholics all, Picture this “We’re going to bring back home rule” “We shall persevere” “1916, oops, we better skeedaddle”. USA here we come.

Mom’s Folks “Things seem a bit dicy for us Jews here in Germany (Grandma was from Scandanavia) and since WWI is over, nobody seems to be noticing this situation too much” “1919, oops, we better skeedaddle”. USA here we come

Two generations later bugnorton is produced, a slightly confused Catholic with red hair and glow-in-the-dark skin.

Dad’s folks, Irish Catholics all, Picture this “We’re going to bring back home rule” “We shall persevere” “1916, oops, we better skeedaddle”. USA here we come.

Mom’s Folks “Things seem a bit dicy for us Jews here in Germany (Grandma was from Scandanavia) and since WWI is over, nobody seems to be noticing this situation too much” “1919, oops, we better skeedaddle”. USA here we come

Two generations later bugnorton is produced, a slightly confused Catholic with red hair and glow-in-the-dark skin.

sorry for the double post…I’ve got to blame the ham§sters this time since I didn’t get impatient or crazed this time.

why is it that double posts are never such gems of literary or philosophical insight that an immediate re-read would be’ if not manditory’ at least appropriate?

Western European mutt. Another one of those “really, really white” people.

Only it isn’t that bad because I have dark brown hair and eyes, which I suppose means I could get fairly tan if I ever wanted to.