Ever cry at a “funny” show or movie?

I’m not talking about crying at a sad moment in a sitcom or anything like that. What I mean is, have you ever gotten upset or burst into tears over a joke because you took it in an entirely different manner than intended?

When I was 15 or so, I remember seeing a MAD TV sketch involving a family who decorated their Christmas tree with radioactive materials. Smash cut to Christmas eve, and the whole family is sitting around the tree with radiation sickness, their expressions horribly nauseated. The dad weakly urged his kids to open their gifts. The little girl opens a box, and pours a fuzzy goop out onto the carpet. “Oh no, your kitten!” the mom said, and I think that’s about the point I lost it and started crying in the middle of the living room. Even remembering it now gives me an all together icky feeling. I get that it’s supposed to be darkly funny or something, but holy crap that upset me.

How about you?

Several years ago (before I developed my intensely large amount of self esteem which is now SO LARGE that I think it sometimes scares people) I was listening to my favorite radio show in the morning when they did a sketch about fat women. Specifically about how fat women are all horrible people who can’t wash themselves properly and no one loves them. It was supposed to be funny but I just pulled over to the side of the road and cried. I then developed a fairly serious eating disorder which caused me to lose about 42 lbs and stopped me from being able to eat in front of other people. I got past that and continue to gain and lose weight as time goes on but I long ago decided that others can go fuck themselves and I am sublimely happy being me. I like life better like this.

Oh my goodness. I’m glad you came to that epiphany! It’s a wonderful thing to be happy in your own skin.

Mad TV has never been funny when I’ve chanced upon it, I’m not sure if I’ve just been unlucky. It just seems stupid and loud.

Perhaps I’m only reminded of this because of the kitten theme established (kitte-goop, location of under a pile of kitties) but when Arthur Dent comes back to Earth and finds a dead kitten under his pile of mail, it pretty much made the whole damn book tragically unfunny to me. I just kept wondering and thinking about the kitten, since it isn’t mentioned in Hitchhiker’s Guide at all and the thought of a kitten wandering around a house alone, slowly starving to death… Ugh. Supremely unfunny, in a series that seemed otherwise tailor-made to my sense of humor.

My sister, who graduated from high school in 1973, told me about a poster that was popular when she was in teenager. It was a photo of an Indian or African refugee with a crate of relief supplies that contained nothing but Baby Ruth candy bars. It was supposed to be funny, in an ironic way. My sister told me that image upset her monumentally.

I’m three years younger than my sister, and I kind of vaguely remember this image.

This is less deep or meaningful than anything you guys have brought up, but whenever I’m going through a breakup, jokes about cheating/abandoned “losers”/lonely people tend to hit me hard. One exception was the “God, I’m lonely!” running gag in the Hairspray stage-show.

Didn’t cry, but back in the 80s, Penn & Teller made me upset on one or two of their TV appearances. I remember there was one card trick where I really thought Teller was drowning.

My boyfriend has this movie he loves from somewhere in Scandanavia - Sweden? I think? Anyway, it’s called Kitchen Stories. And yeah, it’s a great movie. Yeah, it’s funny. And yeah, at the end I started sobbing uncontrollably, and can’t think about the movie without tearing up.

The old man dies, and his horse! And he never knows that the observer is coming back to him! He NEVER KNOWS!

Himself keeps trying to convince me (and this has been probably three years now) that he DID know, and that it’s hopeful, and that it’s a legacy sort of thing, but when he mentions the movie to other people he has to do it out of my earshot. I tried to explain to him that it makes me think about my dad, and he says, “You’re insane. Your dad is alive and well! Do you want to call him or something?” and then I smack him upside the head.

Not exactly what the OP was asking for, but it is a comedy and some of the stuff dealing with the reason it made me cry is supposed to be funny.

I remember going to see a production of the musical Hair when I was about 18 or so. While the rest of the audiance was blythely twirling about and singing “Let the Sunshine In” as they filed out of the auditorium it dawned on me that it was hundreds and hundreds of boys my age - MY AGE that had to go fight and get killed in this war, not just the one in the musical and I started sobbing uncontrollably right there in my seat. Just full body, snot running down my face, sobbing. It took me like 20 minutes to compose myself; it hit me like a ton of bricks.

When I was five or six, Laurel and Hardy’s “The Music Box” made me cry.

I mean, they kept hauling that piano up all those stairs and every time it just slid down again!

It’s not quite in-line with the OP, since it didn’t make me cry, but a recent Onion article actually really weirded me out, and made me much more unhappy than anything else.

(Note: Probably not a great read if kidnapping and/or violence directed against children is a soft spot.)

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/kidnapped_boy_found_safe_imagines

I guess I know what they were going for, but for a group that usually is so spot-on in its humor, this seemed a bit misguided.

I don’t cry often, because I simply can’t even when I need to. But I’ve wanted to cry while watching South Park, because of the way Butters is treated by his family. ONe episode in particular stands out: the boys had their usual insane plot which involved Cartman staying in Butters’ house and pretending to be him, because they needed Butters in town and the kid was grounded. Cartman could flawlessly imitate Butters’ voice, and, being Cartman, he proceeded to roil up the parents when they called to check on their son. At the end of the day, Cartman & Butters exchanged places just before the parents got home; Cartman proceeded to get popcorn and pull up a lawn chair so he could enjoy the sounds of the parents beating Butters.

I wasn’t sure whether to :frowning: or :mad:. It sure as hell was way more sad than funny.

I tried to read that, but gave up halfway through. Not only is it not funny, but you can’t see funny from where it is.

Two scenes in Old School, both having to do with Blue, the extremely senior citizen who dies during hazing: the first is when Frank says “I see Blue!” and the second is in the closing credits when they sing “Dust in the Wind.” The first time I saw the movie, both misted me up just a little bit.

I cried (and probably still do) when Pooh eats too much honey and gets stuck. It just seems so humiliating.

The “fandango” at the wedding in “Fandango.” The feel of that scene just makes me weak with jealousy. I want my marriage/future relationship to feel that way.

“Lowered Expectations” makes me sad.

And my Mom would get very upset about Mr. Magoo because her eyesight is really bad and she hates him being an object of ridicule for that.

I think that you were the one at that production that actually got the point the writer was trying to make.

Not really a comedy, and I didn’t cry, but the movie “It’s a wonderful life” (the old b/w one that’s kind of become a Christimas classic now) always makes me terribly depressed, which I think is not the intent. Not only ist he guy who tries to kill himself (can’t remember the character’s name) overdramatic in the standard US clichee that he wants to erase his whole life (I wish I had never been born) instead of simply wishing for his life to end now. No, the only reason he finds the will to live again is because his angel show him how his many good and heroic deeds - saving his brothers life as a kid, saving a patient & the chemist as a teen, etc. - have impacted other people’s lifes.
For a normal person, who hasn’t done any heroic deeds, and has had no positive impact on other people lifes, this only more depressing, seeing how heroes have a reason, but not normal people.

I’m with you on this one.

When I heard about Spalding Gray’s passing, I rented Monster in a Box. When I got to the part where he was talking about his reaction to that movie (It’s a Wonderful Life), I lost it.

Because, we do. We can, and we do.

The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson, in reruns, sometime in 2002. It had always been one of my favorite episodes.

ETA: Still is.

Jesus Christ! What sick fuck came up with that and why did they think it might have something to do with funny?