Ever get obsessed with a song?

This hasn’t happened to me in a long time, but for the last two days the only song I’ve wanted to hear has been Cher’s Heart of Stone. I’ve listened to it over and over again on my drive to and from work. From past experience, I know that I will soon tire of it and this brief madness will be over (especially since I will get my audiobook tomorrow).

But I remember that this used to happen to me a lot in high school, music being better then and all. :wink: Van Halen’s Drop Dead Legs and the Eagles’ Hotel California were two I recall having to be immersed in for a time. During my love affair with the latter song, I gushed to my mom, “Don’t you just love Hotel California?” and she replied, “Julie, no one likes Hotel California.” I think she was a bit tired of hearing it played in my room twelve times back to back, but I believed her for a while, and thought I was the only one who could appreciate the awesomeness.

What songs have grabbed on to you like this?

Oh yes, I have experienced song obsession more than a few times in my life. It usually starts innocently enough with some random song popping into my head that I find myself humming and singing out loud for the better part of the day. However, the next time I am in the car I always pull the song up on my ipod and put it on repeat…

Most recently this happened with Cocaine Blues by Johnny Cash off of his Folsom album. I don’t know what it is about this song, but I just had to listen to it again and again. Maybe it is the energy of the song, who knows…but I love it.

Prior to that is was Crossroads by Cream. Something about those two guitar solos by Eric Clapton just made me keep playing it again and again and again. Every time I would hear that second solo it was like I was hearing it for the first time, and every listen of that song still has me in awe.

Oh so countless. In fact, this is probably how most of my music listening goes. I’ll find a song that I’m obsessed with and make a new mix disc of MP3s for the car, with current song obsession as the first song.

Recently?

Winter by Josh Radin
Emma by Emmanuel Jal - can’t find a link, but highly recommended.
Goodbye Horses by Q Lazzarus
Devil Baby by Mark Knopfler

When I heard Sparks’ ‘This Town Ain’t Big Enough for the Both of Us’ for the first time on the radio at age 15, I happened to push the Rec button on my cassette deck and proceeded to go mad. I honestly played the song 20 times in a row, mesmerized, visions flying in my head etc. I could only think: what kind of a hermafroditic, raving mad genius sounds like this??? I was heavily into wildest, wierdest '70’s rock at the time, but this was beyond anything I’d heard.

Tons of song obsessions for me over the years. I had a serious album obsession, Cat Stevens’ “Tea for the Tillerman.” Jesus…my sister was ready to break it over my head. However, as Big Sister and Miss Bossypants, I had a lot of control over the turntable.

Sunshine Girl-by some obscure 60’s group-loved it. Anybody know who the grop was?

I’m obsessed with a song from 1996, No Morira by DLG. I learned it phoenetically and just found a website with the words.

I always knew that “todo mi corazon” is all my heart. That was enough for me.

The melody is beautiful and Huey Dunbar’s voice just does something to me.

Thriller and Smooth Criminal. They’re the only two Michael Jackson songs I have, and I play them endlessly, or watch the videos on YouTube.

Weird one: for a short time I latched onto the song “Where There’s A Whip There’s A Way” from Ralph Bakshi’s Return of the King. I was just taken with the excellent harmony ostensibly coming from a motley collection of misshapen, hulking orcs. :stuck_out_tongue:

All the time. The last one was a lovely little French number, played for Eurovision some year or other. I am positively enchanted by it and nagged a friend to translate it for me.

This happens to me all the time. I usually end up downloading the mp3 from amazon or something now. (I don’t do iTunes)

However, I specifically blame the SDMB for the mp3 of Duran Duran’s Rio now taking up hard drive space.

Yeah, all the time. It’s usually the last step before I start hating it.

Lemme sleep on it! Baby baby lemme sleep on it. Lemme sleep on it, I’ll give you an ANswer in the mornin’!

Oh of course. Currently it’s “Remember the Name” by Fort Minor. Before that it was a techno remix of the Mortal Kombat theme. Before that … at one point it was “Gravel Pit” by the Wu-Tang Clan, and for a while it was “Till I Collapse” by Eminem. It’s been various OutKast songs, it’s been one or two They Might Be Giants songs, it’s been Presidents of the United States of America, it’s been Michael Jackson, and there’s probably a dozen more I’m forgetting. Oh, the Decemberists.

I recently saw the movie Chicago, and it coincided with the recent OJ conviction as well as some real-life courtroom scenes from criminal trials on American Justice I’ve been watching. Recalling the original OJ trial, I’ve been obsessed with Billy Flynn’s song “Give 'em the old Razzle-Dazzle”. Every time I read about or watch a real-life criminal defense attorney’s sleight-of-hand hijinks, this song jumps into my head and then it’ll stick there for days afterward.

(paraphrasing)

“As long as you keep 'em all off balance
No one will know you ain’t got talent!”

Sunshine Girl” by The Parade (1967) – fun song.

Roxy Music’s “More Than This” grabbed onto me in 1982; every year or so I have to listen to it three or four times a day for a week.

Tattva by Kula Shaker.

Hayley Mills’ kid became a singer in a psychedelic rock band. Whaddya know?

When I was 14 or so, I became obsessed with Cyndi Lauper’s “(The Goonies R) Good Enough” from the soundtrack to “The Goonies”. I had a 90-minute cassette with ONLY that song on it, over and over. And I listened to that cassette. Constantly.

Fast forward to about a year ago. KT Tunstall’s “Black Horse and Cherry Tree”…I didn’t fill a CDR with it, but I did absolutely have to turn up the radio whenever it came on. That lasted for about three months.

Currently, it’s Queen. Again, turning up the radio whenever a good Queen song comes on (which means stuff like “Killer Queen”, “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”, “Somebody to Love”, etc) is the extent of it, but I just get lost in the songs.

I am forever obsessed with “Gloria”. The original by Van Morrison(or Them if you want to get picky about it) is good but on my playlist I have that, the 101’ers live version and the Patti Smith version all right in a row.

Other songs that I tend to play over and over are Dry The Rain by the Beta Band, Get A Grip by the Stranglers and Heard Her Call My Name by the VU.

Many times in my life. Here are a few from memory:

The Sundays- Wild Horses
Peter Gabriel- Book of Love
Jeff Buckley- Last Goodbye
Cowboy Junkies- Blue Moon Revisited (Song for Elvis)
Stone Roses- Ten Storey Love Song
Violent Femmes- Good Feeling

I just realized that alot of the songs I get obsessed with are sappy.
More recently:

MGMT- Time to Pretend
Airborne Toxic Event- Sometime Around Midnight
Coldplay- Viva La Vida and Speed of Sound
Thriving Ivory- Angels on the Moon

Shenandoah- I’ve collected a variety of versions of this song. I absolutely love the melody, the words.

Sitting Outside a Broken Phonebooth with Money in my Hand by Primitive Radio Gods.

I knew the lyrics by heart and bought the CD so I could listen to the song on repeat (which had as much to do with the incredible crappiness of the rest of the album as it did with my obsession with that one song) If I tried real hard, I could probably recall the lyrics right now… but I won’t. :slight_smile:

More recently, and to a much lesser degree, Hey Ya by Outkast was on heavy rotation but not quite enough to be considered “obsessive” per se.