Ever have a catastrophe just pass you by? OR, floods, shmuds.

I live in Prague. And if you have been following the news, you know that Prague is currently experienceing the “flood of the century.”

yawn :o

I’ve got a 2 month old girl and work deadlines- What floods? Where? Really?!? You don’t say…

I am sitting no more than a kilometer from the worst flood damge in over 100 years, some say 150 years. And you know what the worst thing about it is? My Internet went down for 2 WHOLE HOURS YESTERDAY!!! F***ers! Where is their back-up plan?

I am such a prat. I haven’t been able to leave the office for long enough to see what damage has been done. I find out what is happening the same way that everyone else has- CNN. Everyone who emails me is worried sick about us. My only response: “Oh yes, we’re doing fine. Luckily we are mostly un-affected. Send chocolate!” Because if I told them that I had little or no clue what was going on in the real world, they would probably be insulted. Give 'em what they want, I always say.

Have you ever missed a good catastrophe? Should you have been properly humbled by Mother Nature, but somehow weren’t? Curious minds want to know.

-Tcat

A week after we left vacationing in the Outer Banks, North Carolina, sharks ripped the place to shreds. I think there were 5 or 6 attacks. Apparently they had been following me ever since I stiffed one of their cousin’s at a diner. They were described as tall, lean, and mean. One had a tattoo of a large golf club on it’s left forearm, and they all were wearing necklaces with shark’s teeth attached, possible mementos from 2nd grade victims. They asked some questions about me and headed North.

A week after we left vacationing in the Outer Banks, North Carolina, sharks ripped the place to shreds. I think there were 5 or 6 attacks. Apparently they had been following me ever since I stiffed one of their cousin’s at a diner. They were described as tall, lean, and mean. One had a tattoo of a large golf club on it’s left forearm, and they all were wearing necklaces with shark’s teeth attached, possible mementos from 2nd grade victims. They asked some questions about me and headed North.

Yeah, most disasters are like that. They only directly affect a small percentage of the people in the area. I was in high school during the '89 San Francisco quake, and we just were annoyed that we couldn’t enjoy having the schools closed by going to the beach because the roads were closed. At least we didn’t have to go to school - sucks you have to work.

I saw some pictures of the flood damage in Europe and it was positively unnerving. One picture showed large trees lying on their sides; the root system was about as large as the people standing next to it. Another picture showed some German policemen helping to rescue some tourists. I hope the waters crest soon and then subside.

Two or three years ago, September 21, there was a huge earthquake in Taiwan which I totally missed because I was in America at the time. Shook up our house a bit, that’s all, though. And typhoons sometimes stranded us in our homes, but I’ve never been flooded because my house is on top of a fairly tall hill.

When I was in second grade, the costliest hurricane ever was forecasted to pass right over our city. So, rather than evacuating, we did the logical thing and put masking tape over the windows. :wink: Practically at the last minute, it turned south and missed us by maybe 30 miles. The worst damage was a tree that fell over and ripped out a section of our porch screen.